Rate this Recipe
Zucchini BruschettaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Quick, Easy, and Tasty
Fresh cherry tomatoes and zucchini from the garden. The perfect addition to our spaghetti dinner. But what to do with them? Raw in a salad, steamed, grilled, sautéed, baked, or broiled? Something quick, easy and still tasty. Hopefully, something everyone in the family would like to eat. It would be wonderful if my picky daughter would like another vegetable besides corn and broccoli.
I decided to broil them together and created what I call, Broiled Zucchini with Cheese and Tomato.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- about a quart cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 lb cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar), sliced or shredded
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- to taste garlic, seasoning powder
- package of 10 or 12 garlic toast/texas toast, sliced, frozen
- Prepare frozen garlic toast as suggested on the package or as needed with your oven.
- Slice zucchinis and spread out on paper towel sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning. I used a premix of pepper and garlic.
- Let stand until bubbles begin to form on top of the zucchini. Flip the zucchini slices over and place cheese pieces on top.
- Then line baking sheet with foil. Place zucchini slices on baking sheet. Broil on low for about 5 min. or until tender.
- Remove from oven add Slices of tomatoes on top of zucchini. Return baking sheet to the oven for another 5 min. Remove from oven.
- Place tomato-zucchini mixture on top of the garlic toast slices and warm them back up in the oven for about 5 more minutes.
Grilled Zucchini with Tomatoes and Cheese on Garlic Toast
Originally I had created what I called Grilled Zucchini with Tomatoes and Cheese.
*I had a little leftover Grilled Zucchini with Tomatoes and Cheese as well as extra garlic bread so I just place the zucchini slices on the garlic toast and warmed in microwave for 30 seconds. Zucchini Bruschetta was born.
This * is not necessary if following the instructions above, but works good if you already have leftover garlic toast.
I am going to miss zucchini and tomatoes this winter. We are enjoying this meal quite often now. I am thinking of adding pepperoni to it to make a type of French Bread Pizza. My husband feels that I should not add the salt since the cheese and garlic bread already have salt in them.
You could make your own garlic bread also. Homemade is always best!