- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Easy and Delicious Zucchini Casserole
Baked Zucchini & Rice Casserole
A quick, easy, and yummy vegan baked zucchini dish. It's great for dinner time as a main course or a side dish. Inexpensive and healthy, too!
I'm not a vegetarian, so if I love this vegan recipe, you know it has to be good!
How this zucchini recipe was born
This year I've been working on improving what I eat. My initial inspiration was a web page I wrote about living to be 100. The two biggest factors for lengthening your life, according to the research, were exercise and eating the right kinds of foods.
So I'm eating more vegetables and trying to severely restrict the white flour, white sugar, white rice, and potatoes that I eat. And I'm loving the results! I'm feeling really good, my appetite is more stable, and I haven't had any of those hypoglycemic headaches that I used to get if I got too hungry.
I was looking for a quick meal that I could make for myself without spending much money. I picked up a zucchini at the grocery store and put it together with ingredients that I happened to have in the house. I had cooked a large amount of brown rice earlier in the week so that I would have it ready anytime I wanted to use some. So all I did was slice the zucchini and some onion and put everything in the oven.
I was just hoping for something reasonably edible, but what I got was something absolutely delicious!
I'm not a vegetarian; I eat meat and dairy products. My usual inclination for a dish like this would be to put some cheese in it. But I was preparing for a choir concert and the choir director had asked all of us to abstain from dairy for a week. So no cheese. But even though it was cheeseless, the casserole was so yummy that I'm going to keep on making it just the way it is as a delicious vegan recipe!
Have you ever grown your own zucchini or squash?
If so, you know how bountifully it grows. Sometimes it will take over the garden to the point where you feel like you have the solution to world hunger -- Just invite all the hungry people in the world over to my house to pick up some squash!
You can never have too many squash and zucchini recipes!
- Basmati brown rice (1 cup uncooked = 2 cups cooked).
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 1/2 of a medium-sized onion (approx.)
- a handful of raw nuts or seeds (chopped pecans are terrific; I've also done it with pumpkin seeds)
- garlic salt (to taste)
- paprika (to taste)
- olive oil (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Slice the zucchini into those cute little disks.Slice the onion into strips.Put the rice into a baking dish, then the zucchini pieces, then the onion strips.Sprinkle garlic salt and paprika on the veggies and then mix it a little by hand without disturbing the rice at the bottom.Put the nuts/seeds on top.Drizzle the olive oil over everything.Put the casserole in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes. When you see a little browning on the veggies and nuts, then it's ready to come out.Enjoy!