- Food and Cooking
Twenty Zucchini Recipes
Is there anything more versatile than a zucchini?
To me it's zucchini, to others courgette. No matter what it's called, the action-packed zucchini can be cooked in a hundred wholesome and tasty ways.
Zucchini can be steamed, boiled, grilled, stuffed and baked, barbecued, fried or shredded raw for salads. Made into pancakes, baked into a bread, added to cake mix, cooked up in soup, deep fried as tempura or used as a filling for quesadillas.
And how do you fancy Zucchini with Chocolate? How versatile can you get?
What's in a Zucchini?
The zucchini fruit is low in calories (approximately 15 food calories per 100 g fresh zucchini) and contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, vitamin A and manganese.
Zucchini with Cheese and Paprika
So simple. So tasty. So popular.
- 3 medium zucchini sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Toss the sliced zucchini into the salt and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Place in a baking dish
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes until zucchini is tender
- Sprinkle cheese and remaining paprika over top
- Bake 3 - 4 minutes until cheese is melted
Elegant Baking Dish
Cherry red (10-1/2 by 7 ins) Easy to clean and completely nonporous.
Transfers confidently to the table with sure-grip handles. So it looks good on the table too
Oven-, broiler-, and microwave-safe. From freezer to microwave to table.
Ribbon Zucchini and Ricotta Open Pie
You need a prepared pie shell from the bakers or the supermarket.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- Two teaspoons lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Take the zucchini and, with a vegetable peeler, lightly peel strips lengthwise to make thin ribbons. You don't have to remove the zucchini skin first. but keep it on for a green 'look'.
- Chop the olives and remove stones
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the zucchini ribbons, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Toss to combine well.
- Drop the ricotta in dollops onto the pie shell and spread it out slightly.
- Mound the zucchini over the ricotta, then place the olives evenly over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the Romano or Parmesan cheese over
- Bake about 20 - 30 minutes. Check a couple of times to see when the cheese is melted and everything looks crispy.
The Unofficial World Cup of Food 2010 - My entry in The Cup
Cream of Zucchini Soup
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 30
- 3 small zucchini with the skin on cut in large chunks
- 1/2 small onion
- quarter ed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups fat free chicken stock
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- salt & pepper
- Combine chicken broth, onion, garlic and zucchini in a medium pot and cook on medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- PurÃ©e: Add the sour cream. Using an immersion blender, purÃ©e till smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve hot.
Zucchini Flowers are edible too!
Zucchini flowers are edible and, while often used to garnish a meal, can be cooked in delightfull ways themselves.
The flowers may be deep fried as fritters or tempura (after dipping in a light tempura batter), stuffed, sauteed, baked, or used in soups.
Zucchini Bread - Video Demonstration
Another simple yet exciting meal with zucchini..
If you asked me what was for dinner and I answered 'vegetarian stew' would it sound as impressive as Ratatouille? Does 'French Vegetable Pot' sound better?
French cooking conjures up images of white-coated chefs and blue-ribboned haute cuisine, but Ratatouille is a peasant dish from Provence. It's a traditional and tasty dish, said to originate from Nice - ratatouille nicoise.
Zucchini Ideas from Readers
- Cook zucchini on the grill with olive oil and spices
- Cut the zucchini into thin strips with a potato peeler then pan fry them with a griddle pan. While they are still hot, drop them into balsamic vinegar
- Pan sear zucchini along with some chicken strips with soy sauce. It makes for a delicious, quick, stir-fry type meal
- Mix grated zucchinis and red onions with crushed green chillis, lime leaves and lemon juice. Serve as an accompaniment to meat dishes
© 2010 Susanna Duffy