Would it benefit the world if there was one religion???

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (71 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Since religion(or religious beleifs) is the cause of many wars woul it benefit the world to have 1 religion?

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, people are too different.

There's no way one single religion could satisfy the spiritual needs and preferences of everybody on the planet, so even if we did manage to persuade everybody to convert to one religion (not going to happen), it would start splintering into sects almost immediately, and then we'd be killing each other over which sects we belonged to. Just look at Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians in Christianity, or Sunni and Shiite in Islam.

Atheism wouldn't work either, because if we managed to get rid of all religions, we'd just find another excuse to kill people, like political convictions. Stalin was atheist and that didn't stop him from being one of the greatest mass murderers in history.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.
      But it would benefit the world if all believed Genesis 1.
      That belief is not a "religion"; it is the basis of all human understanding of God.

3. profile image53
      (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that already what believers kill each other over? A belief in one religion?

4. flounderingsahm profile image37
      flounderingsahmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that would be possible.  I agree with kerryg, people are just too different.  There will always be a group, whowever small, that will twist the religion to suit their own corrupt needs and wants.

5. leeberttea profile image55
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually the world would be better off if everyone worshipped me. Since that isn't going to happen we'll just have to keep muddling through. I am still looking to sign up followers though. There's still hope!

1. profile image0

Take those sunglasses off.  I wanna see your eyes before I decide to worship you or not!  hahahhaa

1. leeberttea profile image55

Geesh, I'm half naked here (okay maybe all naked) and that's not good enough? You're a tough one to please! tongue wink

1. profile image0

Indeed, that's not good enough.
            The eyes have it.

I'm in Love with Jesus.  It's His eyes that drew me uncontrollably.
            Revelation 1: 14 and 19: 12 speak of this.  And 2: 18 says:

"And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write:  These things saith the Son of God,  who hath His eyes like unto a flame of fire, and His feet are like fine brass,"

I wonder what it would've been like to look into the eyes of Jesus as He walked the earth.  They had to be very compelling.

1. leeberttea profile image55

No doubt, the eyes are the windows to the soul!

6. profile image0
      eternaltreasuresposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES it would benefit the world if there is only ONE and PURE, GENUINE religion.

Jas 1:27  What God the Father considers to be pure and genuine religion is this: to take care of orphans and widows in their suffering and to keep oneself from being corrupted by the world.

7. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

one religion is not possible..even if one religion becomes a reality , soon it would get divided again into sects and sub sects which in itself would become religion..look at various religions and u wuld find this as truth..may be the sects would say they belief in same god as other but they know truth which other doesnot..guess it is human psychology...

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, just think of a charismatic world leader performing some miracle or several and being idolized, then have him declare that (say) Islam was THE religion and anybody who refused to convert and comply with it was an apostate, and would be killed..... now imagine that this man was the President of the World, and controlled all the nukes and armies of the NWO United Nations....

People become very compliant under a tyrannical dictator who kills with impunity.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, quite the opposite is true in reality. We, as a species(at least us who understand our life), will fight against that which we are not do free and of our own accord. It is a fact of life and of those who understand it's meaning.

You may not understand it's meaning, because you enjoy being corralled by a tyrant supreme being. wink

1. aguasilver profile image70

Cagsil, you live in a country that capitulated and even collaborated when the Nazi's occupied it, standing by when the Jews were rounded up and saying nothing... because opposition meant massacre at 10:1 retribution.

Modern tyrants like Mugabe know that setting the murderers onto those without defense will subdue any opposition.

Get real....

I have been freed by a loving God, you are the one who views Him as a tyrant supreme being.

As you speak, so shall it be.

John

2. RevolveR profile image58
          RevolveRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to be the world leader.

2. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Ahh but there is already........ Money! hmm
    And most deny that.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ding!

3. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Study the bible, you'll see that it tells us that a universal world religion will be started as we near the end days.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't get me started..   I better go outside and finish what I started earlier.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And will THAT religion benefit us?

1. flounderingsahm profile image37
        flounderingsahmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, apparently not since it will be the end of days!

2. aguasilver profile image70

Not ultimately, indeed it will destroy those who follow it, which will be all those who chose life under THAT religion over death in their opposition by faith.

However like all false religion it will make folk rich who lead it, and make those who fall under it's spell feel great, as Satan orchestrates signs and wonders, 'miracles' by the bundle and it's followers are stupefied into a belief that the world is finally one   in global consciousness.

Satan is the prince of the air, go figure and watch out for what satellite tv does in the future.

John

4. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

Yes. I'm glad you brought this up because I think that everyone in the world should worship me, and that we should kill everyone who doesn't until there is noone left who doesn't worship me.

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

No.  Europe was nearly all one religion and stifled any kind of real learning about our world for centuries.  The near east is also one religion and STILL lives in the dark ages - any real progress there is at the largesse of the developed world.

When there is only one religion then that religion has massive amounts of power that is used to maintain the VIP's of the religion - to control the people absolutely.  Education and learning nearly stops dead.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

No!

7. USMCwifey09 profile image64
    USMCwifey09posted 13 years ago

Nope; look throughout history and see what happens when leaders attempt to have one religion. There's always going to be fragmentation; it's a sad part of life.

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

the new religion is called Quality.
    The united Ism -sensation & science.
    It is the formation and establishment of self through various expressions. It is not a secular group of wingers, but a global movement that will force the true believing to separate themselves completely or be consumed by it.
    Yes, in the past individual leaders formed mini isms, now with today's technology and spirituality movement -united- every single human can proclaim themselves their own religion/godship.

1. profile image0

I agree with your third sentence.
      And have already separated myself so as not to be consumed nor swayed by it.  Years ago.

9. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

Attempts have been made in the past to create a one world religion. It just doesn't work. It wouldn't bring anything but disaster if it did. People of faith would still have a problem with science and reality.

10. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

there will be less religions festivals. and of course there will less massive scale shopping-only once a year.

11. Michael Adams1959 profile image80
    Michael Adams1959posted 13 years ago

There are e few religions trying that very thing now to establish a one world order, None have succeeded so far but it is truly amazing to see how far they have come. I won't reference to which ones they are, that's another topic another debate, but as has been said in other answers a one world church is to happen in  the last days. With apostasy on the rise many will look for that one order that will draw all to it. that is when the anti-christ will appear, but as to those that believe this is not a time to run for fear but a time to spread the true Gospel of salvation in the name of Jesus Christ, the bible declares there is only one name by which man must be saved, the lord Jesus Christ. It is time to "GO YE" into all the world and preach the name of Christ.

1. RevolveR profile image58

That sounds pretty fanatic.

1. Michael Adams1959 profile image80
        Michael Adams1959posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's fanatic about it, curious

the bible declares there is only one name by which man must be saved, the lord Jesus Christ. It is time to "GO YE" into all the world and preach the name of Christ.

That.

I guess I could start a new thread to continue this answer so we do not get led astray from the original question. Jesus commissioned the apostles to go ye into all the world preaching and teaching in His name, we as the saved believers today need to go and do the same, we are apart of that calling out. Many have forgotten to go out they sit comfortably in their pews at church but fail to take the gospel message out to the world as Jesus had commissioned HIS people to do. Sorry the reply takes so long , it is hard to type with broken fingers!

I understand where you're coming from. I don't adhere. Sorry mate !

2. Cagsil profile image70

It might be helpful if you actually understood your religion, before spouting off about it. lol lol lol

OH I DO UNDERSTAND IT, VERY WELL NO  "SPOUTING OFF" HERE

OOPS all caps last reply

2. Cagsil profile image70

Was I actually talking to you?

Did I reply to YOUR post?

I think not.

Be a good human and pay attention. roll

1. optimus grimlock profile image61
                  optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Michael Adams1959 profile image80

I apologize sir, I saw my quote, didn't notice it was from revovler

It was your quote mate ! lol

3. RevolveR profile image58

lol

2. RevolveR profile image58

What religion ?
              I'm quoting Michael here.
              Maybe you should pay attention. LOL

Actually, again, you couldn't be further from the truth. Your words say enough that you do not understand your religion.

That's what you get when YOU don't know SH!T and jump the gun.

You too, be a good human and pay CLOSER attention.

What is my religion, please, sir.

I don't care what your religion is, as you just posted above you do not have any. But, even to your own perspective, you are blind to the obvious truth that you are part of some religion in some manner, whether or not, you believe it. smile

If you're unable to figure that out, then you maybe should think about it. wink

Be it, mystical or physical. Life is a religion in itself. smile

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose we are talking about the religion spoken of in Rev 13  ???

People seem to forget that at the time John received these visions that the Roman Empire was considered to be the one world Government.
        And when the empire established the church that it had assembled in 326 to be "The Official" one and only religion of the entire Roman Empire (380AD)this would have been considered at the time to be a ONE WORLD Religion.

Yes we are on track I believe Jerami

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The old saying remains true still- ignorance is bliss

You should know about it lol

A witless remark. roll

Why is that not a surprise. lol

So what is my religion, sir ? It seems you know more about me than myself lol

You're not starting off very good here. lol

Am I starting something ? Sorry, but I'm not gay.

Hey you're too funny too. Maybe you shouldn't be here, but be in comedy? roll

13. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

People speak of things that has happened as if they will be.

Go figure, right? lol lol lol

14. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

So now it's about which country we are from?
    Get real, get an argument! The long bow you are drawing just broke! lol

15. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

Interesting question. I dislike the word religion. I view my christianity as spiritual, having power from god to NOT do those things that previously i had done, by the power of God through jesus christ, but you've heard all that before and i don't wish to be repetitious, i did want to distinguish between religion and spirituality though.

Not all the world believes on jesus christ. Muslims, islams, catholics, hindus and many other countries have their own prevalent beliefs.

If we took just the words of jesus, forgot the old testament, the epistles and revelations then i would be happy and perhaps the world would benefit from this singularly narrower aspect of fundamentalism.

However, we must also note that the problems of the world do not actually originate from the belief system, but from the selfish desires of the believers. Man is in error so very often that it is probably the only area where a perfect score of 10/10 is realised.
    Here on hubpages, the christians don't war with each other AS much as the nonbelievers and scoffers come into harmless conversations and start peeing all over the rug.
    Certainly, today we cannot blame the iraq war on a religion but on a greedy desire for oil. This is politics.
    If we had one religion or spiritual belief, believed by all and if christ were at the head of politics in the way HE is meant to be then the face of politics would be changed and perhaps, ( I love this saying: God believes in solar power and i do too!) oil would not be destroying the planet, i.e gulf of mexico oil spill.
    There are many humans and everybody wants something, in fact what the world is believing is the belief not of religion but of materialism. Get, get, get, got this, got that, need more, want more... buy this.. look a certain way, dye your hair blond and you will have more fun. Could this not be construed as religious fanaticism?

In short the difference is Jesus. Most jesus people would not even go to war or be a politician or greedily covet your possessions. A religious belief in the spirit of God through Jesus christ would indeed benefit the world. Right off the bat, less people would harass the christians in our dear hubpages and i wouldn't have had so many quarrelsome posts in my question about why adultery was used instead of fornication. I may have actually gotten a resolve, but i ended up with tedious scrolling of lengthy braying and squalking like farm animals.
    Therefore in thinking about that perhaps a good question would be, "If all the ignorantly opinionated and bitter people just shut up would the world be better off".
    Thanks for your time.

16. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 13 years ago

World Religion is bad.  Besides most people don't like each other.

17. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 13 years ago

If there were one religion eventually the human race would eventually become just as divided as we are today. We would all find different ways to view that one religion. Some people have a need to follow. Others have a need to rebel. Those who want to rebel would think about aspects of the one religion that could be argued. Those who have the need to follow would become the fundamentalist.

Those folks who are in the middle of the followers and the rebels would basically find themselves sitting back and watching the other two groups fight.

18. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

It would surely contribute in a positive way I'd guess. However, I am not sure about 'one' religion now? If there was only 'one' religion all along, it was another matter. But, now, you'd have people fighting over which 'one' religion should all follow.

Perhaps, a better question would have been, "would it benefit the world if there were no religion." That would be a more interesting question!!

19. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I'm for a one world gov't dedicated to a humane and intelligent plan for human survival.
    Survival would mean that all religious belief would be deleted permanently.
    It would also require a dedication to "reality," ..education an absolute requirement.
    Any who refuse to accept reality and wish to worship fictional divinites, would be dealt with in "Machiavellian" style (lobotomy or genetic programming."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)