Spam & Junk on HubPages - Do You Actively Fight It or Just Say 'Meh'

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I have come across a **itload of spam in the forums recently, and a few as Hubs, now obviously its not anything new, and it most likely comes in ebbs and flows.

But what do you do about it Hubbers?

Do you zing it and nip it in the bud? Or just say 'meh' and float on through to the next hub / forum post?

What say you....

2. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Use the report button when you see them.
    Best Regards

3. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

If I see it I report it because I think too much spam on HP would devalue the site. I especially like that you can flag a hubber profile now, so those that sign up just to spam can get dealt with sharpish.

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73

Heya ladies,

Oh I do I do, if I hit that button anymore, its going to go into meltdown.

I know I haven't been here that long, but have seen a heck of a lot of new profiles pop up recently just to spam the forums.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I flag it when I see it.

If someone...like this morning...posts several spam posts HubPages will notice the pattern and delete them all, and hopefully the user...

6. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

I fight them with every inch of my being. I will prevail.

7. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I report them too.

8. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Absolutely report the cr*p, every time.

9. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Its Phishers I hate, and viruses..spammers are like the scoundrels of online crime

10. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I fall into the "actively fight it" category.

I also alert admin to site users who are younger than the TOS requires, which is clear a lot of others don't do given how many answers the kids get in the Q&A section or followers on their profiles.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you there girl!

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I actively fight it. And I also report underage Hubbers.

I don't check out the Q&A section often, so I wasn't aware of the kids showing up there.

I try to spend a bit of time every day hub hopping and checking out new hubs. And I report all spam emails and spam comments.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Depends on my mood smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jam and spank, jam and spank lol

2. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Often smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi SunSeven, it's nice to see you back on forums smile

1. SunSeven profile image63
          SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mishka, Its weekend here, so I am free. Lately, I was thinking about sending you a mail regarding some online stuff.

Best Regards

13. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I Report comments and obvious hubs that are spam.... Seen quite a few hubs that are borderline spam, just a few long paragraphs of information and a "this is my website" link, not sure sometimes if they are spam or not and tend to have a look at a couple of other hubs by the same author, if it repeats then I report, but sometimes I just pass by and assume it is just poorly written and maybe the author will improve..

14. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I actively report spammers and underage profiles.  I think it's our duty to help keep HP clean.  It should be a team effort.

15. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

I report all spam that I happen upon. It is the best way.

16. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I flag it if it is plainly spam.

If it's just MFA junk, I vote it down but don't flag it, though sometimes I'm tempted.

It's hard - one man's poison and all that.   I don't like being negative, so what I look for is some excuse NOT to object to it.  If the author injected just a little personality or humor, I'll just pass it by.  No Up vote, but no Down either.

The things I have the hardest time with are the very badly written hubs that plainly represent someone trying hard.   They should be voted down, but I just can't help feeling badly for them.

Slightly related:  my wife used to type resumes for people.  She worked at a head hunting firm but did this work on the side.  We would get some pretty awful stuff, but she and I would try to fix it up so the applicant didn't look completely illiterate.

One day we received one I wanted to frame.  In the Objective section, this person hopefully stated: "I want a job where my real good communications skills will be to my great advantage" (or something very close:  I definitely remember the "real good communications" part).

I felt that we should leave it just like that, reasoning that the prospective employers needed to know his aspirations just as he wrote them.  My wife insisted that we sanitize it some.

That's the dilemma I sometimes feel with bad hubs.   Punish honest effort or just move on.

17. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73

Hey folks,

It seems I am not alone here. I am getting the gist that people here (and a few other places I haunt) are very protective of their work, their community, and actually newbies to, whom are trying hard to establish themselves.

Spam is spam, its an outright attempt to solicit interest in having someone who knows very little about scams to part with their money.

With what Pcunix mentioned, I do give the benefit of the doubt for folks who are new and trying to gain a foothold. They need guidance, and help, they make mistakes, thats OK.

But its entirely different to those who know what they are doing and their intent is as clear as mud. Its a simple case of nefarious people trying to get money out of people who don't know about these types of illegal shenanigans, especially since the internet is a festering ground for this type of activity.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be interesting if you could elaborate on how that works. I understand the links posted on forums - but how about spammy Hub accounts; how do they operate?

Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed a few posts that are spammy, when I have looked at the hubber in question, it is usually the the same spam in their profile as links to other sites, all spam sites.

Ive noticed their hubtivity is also listing their spam forum posts, they join, don't write any hubs and actively start dropping spam forum posts within minutes of joining.

I have even noticed one hubber who has written BOTH a forum post AND a hub, with EXACTLY the same spam, word for word.

1. wingedcentaur profile image65
          wingedcentaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Evening Kangaroo_Jase

I don't understand. What is their purpose in doing what you say? Is this a tactic to increase traffic to their own native site? Can this be called guerrilla bloggging?

2. profile image0

Thank you.

The basic nature of any type of internet spam is to solicit money from naive people. In any way shape or form possible.
            Using blogs, emails, forum posts, and sites such as HubPages. Some spam info is as plain as day for what it is, others are a little harder to define on first glance.

18. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I almost always report spam in the forums and hubs. also underage and the 'call girl' hubs. hub hopping can be interesting or watching the hubfeed. there's a lot of junk that flows through.

1. wingedcentaur profile image65
      wingedcentaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Evening rebekahElle

Excuse me, but what are 'call girl' hubs? Surely its not what I'm thinking?! And how are we able to determine a hubber is underage? As for spam, would all the meaningless questions, posted in the Q&A section -- that are ill-conceived at best (some hubbers, who shall remain nameless post dozens of questions a week; they can't possibly want to know all those things), qualify?

And come to think of one hubber had the nerve to ask about the size of.... male genitalia (sorry). Is spam just inappropriate material, or material that is so empty its obviously written strictly for Adsense?

19. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Flag, flag, flag, report, report, report.  These days, I could spend a majority of my time doing that.  Spammers devalue the site and have no place here.

20. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I fight it, Hubpages is too valuable to see it go down the drain.

21. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I report spam when I see it, but don't generally go actively hunting for it.

22. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

yes, they are what you're thinking. I've found call girl hubs with pics, phone numbers, and that's all they are. usually posted by the same person. now we can flag their profile if all their hubs are against TOS.

the underage hubbers state their age in their profile.
    meaningless questions are spam imo.

1. profile image0

Why would they state their age?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

they're young, not thinking. I've found a 12 year old before.  they're usually writing journal/diary type hubs.

1. profile image0

I've seen that too, pretty cute but HubPages is not a good place for them.

23. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I actively fight spam - though I stumble on it more than look for it. I doubt it's worth looking for in one sense - there's enough of it littering the sight it's not hard to spot.

A new version that appears to be occuring of late is a new hubber (pure internet marketing types) appears then searches for specific hubs topics - leaves a comment and a link back to their own sites. They do this over and over again. I've had four site links dropped on four hubs within a matter of minutes y/day. The hubber that did it had been on a spree around the site doing the same over and again.

So be aware that your older, better ranked hubs that you rarely visit or check on may well have a bunch of spam dumped on them.

@rebekah and Website Examiner - I have come across lots of underage hubbers and have been struck on several occasions by the quality of the writing. Pity they're not old enough and TBH, I hope they return when they are smile

Aye, agree with ya Frog, always a good idea to approve and moderate comments before releasing them to the 'wild', Cheers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)