Personality quirks of writers?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

What are your quirks in regards to being a writer?

1. profile image0
      TransScribblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have several quirks. The biggest one is having to tell myself that nobody else is ever going to see what I am writing. If I contemplate the fact that something is to be published, I just cannot write it.

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

I love to write but it's difficult for me to remain steadily motivated.  It's a constant push for many of us to nurture the discipline of continued writing.

1. Timmy Octavian profile image63
      Timmy Octavianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with this...If I was more motivated I could do so much more with my writing.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I love to bite other writers tongue

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I like to write about biters!

5. P.M. pen profile image61
    P.M. penposted 13 years ago

I think most writers are introverts who thrive on personal time and the quiet clicking of their keyboard. Nothing suits me more than a hot latte or tea, a comfortable space, alone time, and my laptop. A few hours with a crowd and I am stressed (although usually inspired with new ideas nonetheless) and ready to get back to my "cozy corner"!

1. torimari profile image65
      torimariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is so true--at least for me.

For me, the desire for privacy and personal time is key. Recently, committing to work due to both what my work is, as well as wanting to be free has been my issue. I also need to be motivated to write like others have mentioned.

1. Slainia profile image60
        Slainiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

for me, the standard is if i'm not depressed i can't write. I'm trying to move away from that mindset, but boy is it hard. And annoying... lol

2. KimberlyLake profile image84
      KimberlyLakeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am the same way I love mostly silence when I am writing and hate crowds but always seeing new stories when in them. I avoid the cell and I fight the fear of some reading my work even if I know I have done it well. I love to write stories in my head at night while I lie in bed and grab a folder I keep by my bed to write my ideas and starts of stories or articles.

6. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yeah I like my personal space, there's nothing wrong with being introverted if you have a social life on the side tongue lol

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you can tell by some of the characters here that they don't get out much!! social skills sorely lacking.

I've always been quirky. I grew up sitting in trees reading and writing!
      big_smile

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have run several SEO courses to groups and individuals alike, I have to admit that I have met quite a few characters that way!

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Hi Gracie,

I don't quite (tries to hide an eye twitch) understand what you mean by the (runs around the house naked howling like a wolf) question?

When you say (starts to lick self) quirks, have you ever noticed that (giggles uncontrollably) in the forums at all ?? smile

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

This is going to sound a lot more negative than it really is ("attitude-wise"), but I think my quirk is that I can't make myself care about my writing.  I enjoy writing when I'm writing (but then I can enjoy washing dishes when I'm washing dishes too). I'm actually happier with the end results of having washed dishes (which is having sparkling dishes) than I am with, say, 4000 words I've written over the course of a three or four hours.  Last night I started what was going to be Hub but turned into a 4000-word thing (so it won't be a Hub now).  I'm satisfied that it's actually well written (I think), but when I started to think about what I may do with it, I realized (as I often do) that I'm pretty much done with it.  lol  lol  It's all written.  I had my few hours of writing entertainment.  I don't care what happens to it at this point.  hmm  It's just more "blah blah" (even if I think it's reasonably well written "blah blah").  hmm

10. Joy56 profile image65
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

my quirk, is that, i keep saying, i am not going to write any more.  I have decided i do not want to earn money from writing, just have it has a hobby.....

So why do i keep finding myself on hub pages, connecting to like minded people, and just generally NEEDING to write..... it puzzles me..... it takes up a lot of time also.  Am I mad or something.....

11. oscillationatend profile image62
    oscillationatendposted 13 years ago

I hate not being able to sleep due to all the ideas going through my head...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TBodZe4lbcI/AAAAAAAAAOw/dPj1peM8qFo/s800/willy.gif

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAHAH Love it!!!!!

No chocolate FOR YOU !!!!!!

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the image, oscillationatend-my night will be pleasantly filled with Gene Wilder! lol
      Actually, one of my quirks is that it takes a long, long time for me to construct a hub, or any writing.  That inner editor of mine is a harsh mistress.

1. oscillationatend profile image62
        oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just keep sprinkling parts of one hub here, one hub there..eventually you'll get something. wink

1. Slainia profile image60
          Slainiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

l do it piece by piece like that sometimes too. It's hard finding inspiration though. But...that image... eek. Lol

12. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

Fellow writers, I am enjoying your comments. I, too, highly prize my alone time with my words and keyboard. Key things I have learned about being a writer is to edit, edit, edit, edit, then edit some more. And the other major key...Is to write as if each word costs you a dollar (in other words, be concise and to the point) however, with creative writing, you can be flowery.

My writing quirks: too many ideas in my head so I make lists--lots of lists about things to write about. Then I read and research and read and research the topic until my head spins and spins and spins.

Three years ago, I put lots of my writings on a CD data disk and gave each family member a copy...Well, they all thought I was dying and these were my final words. Yes, my friends, writers can be quirky people. But, it's OK. I'm quirky, you;re quirky.

13. wychic profile image86
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I have a ton of personality quirks, but I'm not sure that I can really blame writing for them...they've just always been there, and my weirdnesses amuse me. On that note, I too treasure my peace and quiet and only seek interaction outside of my family once or twice a week. My husband also likes things fairly quiet when he's home since he spends his days in a very crowded, noisy OR where at least half the people seem to think something is wrong if they're not talking, so we get along well on that count. Reading and writing are sacred pursuits in our house and must never be interrupted, and we're both happy to leave the phone off most of the time.

14. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses.  smile

For me, I need peace and quiet, lots of time to think.  Too much commotion, not enough time to think equals an Unhappy Rafini.  hmm

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm an extreme introvert and need peace and quiet so I can think when writing too.  I have to jot down ideas in a notebook otherwise they go around and around in my head.  I've always been more articulate writing than in oral communication (which can be a frustrating exercise)

15. jdaviswrites profile image72
    jdaviswritesposted 13 years ago

I think most writers have a lot going on in their heads. At least I do. I know I tend to be very analytical and often start to over-think things far too much. I have a journal on my person at all times to write for times like these. Writing is a good release for mindless brain chatter. Why? Maybe because when you write, you focus the majority of efforts and thoughts on the next word you are about write..there's no time for other thoughts to clutter your brain.
    Writing takes a selection of all thoughts floating around your head, narrows them into a funnel, and spits them out on paper. I think most writers are a little weird too...a good weird.

16. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Sometimes I try to bite my own ear.

17. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Quirks???

Do I LOOK like I have any quirks?

Sheesh!!!

18. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 13 years ago

I tend to go in extremes in both directions. One day I can be self absorbed and think I'm writing gold, and the next I'm self defeating and I think what I'm doing is either crap or not getting done fast enough. I'm also a notorious self editor. I edit everything I write (even this post!)

1. BennyTheWriter profile image69
      BennyTheWriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you're talking about  :-)

19. BennyTheWriter profile image69
    BennyTheWriterposted 13 years ago

I have an interesting quirk that I suspect isn't exclusive to me: I edit myself harshly, think I'm never going to get something right, and then when I finish my work, I can't imagine how to edit or improve it.  This used to happen to me most often with poetry, but I think I'm getting better at calmly revising and rewriting.  smile

20. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

I love to write- it calms me down and gives me focus. But I get irritated when someone sits and talks my ear off when I am trying to concentrate especially when I am writing something that is for pleasure rather than for pay...
    I also put things off when I should not;
    I am a copywriter for a website development company- I sometimes struggle or put off assignments until the last moment because I am not excited about the topic. (Example-I have to write 25 articles about boar hunting/ due next week---and I haven’t started because I really don’t care for hunting). In reality, I will probably post a hub (which I don’t get paid for) before I do the articles which are my paycheck. On average I write in-between 60-70 articles on any number of topics, per week. I do the bulk on the writing from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon (by bulk I mean…from Friday night to Wednesday afternoon I may have 10-15 done…lol….really need to stop that and pace myself better

21. profile image0
    ericsomethingposted 13 years ago

What quirks? We writers have no quirks.

Folks in the outside noncreative world, however, are nuttier than squirrel dung.

Next question ...

1. UniqueBeauty profile image59
      UniqueBeautyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

That explains alot about myself!!! I am now normal- what a lovely thought!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)