A real and true email love story - should I be sharing this?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image52
    crispsposted 13 years ago

As I was putting together a computer from old parts, I found a hard drive that someone didn't erase. It was full of the owners emails. I felt a wrong reading them. But this passed quickly as I found them to be truthful, funny, romantic and touching. It's a real love story unfolding before your eyes.

They are from 1999 and pretty amazing.  I became addicted to reading them and thought I should share them unedited (except I have changed the real names) at bored olives.

Love to hear what you think.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This guy has been spamming lots of different forums with this post for months.  I suspect it is just to promote his book.

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you put yourself in their place, you wouldn't have to ask.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Ethical? Moral? hmm

In theory, you don't have permission to use the contents of what's on the harddrive. Yes, I realize you received from someone else, but that was someone's life.

It would be the same as a hacker of a unprotected machine- full access.

So, I would say no.

But, that's just me. What I say probably won't matter anyways.

1. Karanda profile image78
      Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more.

3. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Even if you think the story of someone's love life is amazing and romantic it is still personal! If these people come across their personal words on the internet... they could sue you if they have proof! And if the person on the other end of the computer kept their files they could have their proof easily!

You shouldn't be reading someone elses personal stuff! I know, sometimes, we humans are nosey... but it's immoral and irresponsible to post them on the internet unless you found the original writers of the emails and got persmission in writing I would say NO WAY!!!

4. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I've a question Crisps.  How would you feel if someone bought your old computer, found a whole lot of emails you had sent to a loved one and published them?

5. Karanda profile image78
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

Take a look at Bored Olives. Crisps has actually published those e-mails. Did you even give the authors the chance to approve your use of them? To me, it seems as immoral as a doctor revealing your symptoms to the rest of the world.

1. travelespresso profile image69
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Noooo!  Is that true?  If so, its disgraceful behavior.  I searched Hub Pages for Bored Olives and Bored Olive and couldn't find him/her.

Do a google search, believe me, it's there.

1. travelespresso profile image69
          travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes...I found it thanks and he makes no secret of how the emails came into his possession.  He even says he felt "compelled to share it". 
          Where is his moral compass?

He has none. Completely remorseless.

6. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I read some of them, and they are pretty funny, could be made into a movie, something like Bridgett Jones diary.

I didn't read them all, but it was kinda funny in parts. 

Anyway, with the names changed and if the authors don't mind I don't see the harm.

That's what's wrong with this, the authors don't even know he's posted their private e-mails.

7. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

It is morally wrong to publish them - even with names changed, there is enough information there to potentially cause distress.

On a legal note, it is misuse of copyrighted material - on HP, we are the first to complain when somebody steals our work. This is no different.

http://www.netmanners.com/email-etiquet … ght-myths/ has a good summary:

"E-mail is a written work that once created is copyright protected by the author. This means you cannot post publicly an e-mail sent to you privately. You cannot post private e-mails to your site, to message boards or to your blog without the author’s specific permission to do so.

Just because an e-mail was sent to you as a private communication does not mean you then own it and can do with it what you like. In addition, e-mail that is posted to a group of people, on a mailing list or Newsgroup does not make the e-mail available for reposting, copying, or any other use – not without the express and written consent of the author."

The thing about Crisps is that these e-mails weren't ever meant for him. He had a computer in his possession and used the content from that computer. To me, it is just so wrong.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On the other hand, he has managed to get traffic to his blog - it seems that he joined up just to tell everyone this  hmm

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats kinda what I was wondering about...joined six hours ago and this is all thats happend?....hasnt even come back to reply or anything

Its like when my kids ask me a question and clearly dont care what the answer is as they are walking away before Ive even finished two words.  "Mommy, can I get a cookie?"  "no, we are..." and they are already in the kitchen eating cookies...

2. profile image0
      Jasmine JellyBabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

totally agree with you... its copy right infringement and you shouldn't publish what's not yours

8. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'd agree that if it isn't your work, it shouldn't be published without permission.

But what if it is his work?

Since the information on the site seems to be set out over quite a period of time, how do we know that this person isn't just trying to create a publicity stunt, similar to Lonelygirl15.

Maybe I'm just used to dumbing down my emails.... but those emails don't read like anything I've ever written or been sent.

Then of course, that's an entirely different matter but the way he has gone about it, the sensationalism for drawing attention to himself is still shameless.

I doubt that is what is going on here though but I don't know the Loneygirl15 story.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonelygirl15

People believed her to be just a teenager who made youtube blog videos and became famous for them - turned out she was an actor and it was all fiction.

So sad really. Such talent gone to waste. The same as Crisps or whoever he is. If those emails are his own he would have done well to publish them as a great piece of fiction.

9. profile image57
    HOLLYWOODHYPEposted 13 years ago

Ah, the age of instant celebrity.  Unfortunately, you don't have to possess any talent at all, just too many beers and a camera phone. I feel sorry for future generations.   Barbra-Lee

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...says the person whose name suggests they merely wish to write to cater to the masses.

10. profile image52

Wow, what an amazing amount of responses. I would never have thought it would create such an intelligent argument. 

I am also fascinated by the legal back anf forth. 

If it helps I have secured permission from the authors to publish.  Indeed they were thrilled as long as I removed any clues to their real identity.  This I have done.

But thank you all for engaging in the discussion. This is truly one of the more intelligent forums I have stumbled upon.

11. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

After reading the OP, the comments and the email letters, I'm wondering why Crisps even asked the question.  He already got permission to reprint.  Seems to me like part of a brilliant marketing plan.  I went to the site to read the letters so it must be working.

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

It seems to me to be part of a deceptive spamming campaign that has already got him banned from more than one forum.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How so?

13. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

This just goes to show you, there are people out there who will expolit any situation.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who else has dirty underwear?  Make it public.

14. dianamathew profile image57
    dianamathewposted 13 years ago

Hi! This is such an interesting topic! I'd like to participate more on this forum and get to meet interesting people.
    I am Diana Mathew, an Australian Entrepreneur, ebook author (The Money Tree by Diana Mathew) and a Saving Money guru.If you have time, maybe you can visit me too:
    http://www.mymoneytree.com.au

15. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I did not say to do it right away...   sad

16. profile image52

Yes I did want people to look at the site - this is true.  But I'm not selling anything. It's free. No ads - no monitizing. I've been quite specific in that.  I have targeted some forums but the intention is just to share the story as I thought it was really amazing.

But thank you all for commenting.  I really appreciate it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)