Would You Sue A 4 Year Old If You Could?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Well according this article on yahoo, you can.  Check it out, and tell me what you guys think of it.  Would you sue a kid if you could legally get away with it?  is it even morally justified or not? please read and discuss this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyreg … terstitial

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

weird. i only read the first part but only if it was happening alot , i mean can a 4yr old really be intentional? I think it's the parents' fault for not teaching the kid. otherwise if it's a rare and random case forget it. Sheesh!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4018200.jpg

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i know, but supposedly this four year old racing her bike down the hill caused an old lady to die as she ran into her. that's why this was so controversial.  personally, im with you, as a 4 year old doesn't really comprehend the difference between right and wrong fully at that age.  However, I do think the parents of that said child should be sued, as they even said they were witnessed to the whole thing, so it's their responsibility.  Not the child herself, as she's too young to know better.  it's her parents fault if anything.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed.

2. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

NO, she supposedly died of unrelated causes three months after the accident.
          I don't think a four or five year old knows what they are doing. However, in any case, the parent should be fined and should be sent to parent counseling to reinforce their parenting skills before the kids are running the show in the house and the neighborhood.

1. profile image0

agreed.  very well put klara. smile

2. Tiara6 profile image60
      Tiara6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG I just read that. That is so stupid I'm pretty sure the little didn't know what she was doin and she didn't do it on purpose...smh

1. profile image0

i agree. seriously, unless this kid is like a child prodigy, i doubt seriously they intentionally were aiming to hurt the old lady.

3. onegoodwoman profile image67
      onegoodwomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.......
      And I am not sure that I would sue her parents either.

Have we lost the word   " accident" from our language?

A terrible accident.........the responsible and adult thing, is for her parents to pay for the medical bills caused by the injuries. 

Her death was due to other causes.

1. profile image0

apparently we have lost that word within the english language. wink lol

2. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

Okay- here is my thought. 4 to almost 5 year old children are aware of their actions. Heck, even my 2 year old knows what will get her in trouble and what won't.
    However, if it was an accident- then don't pursue it, if intentional- than by all means someone is responsible!
    The parents are ultimately responsible for the medical expenses caused by the children. As for her dying? Probaly complications due to the surgery which could be traced to the actual "incident" but overall cannot be directly linked, therefore, the kids and the parents should be free of conviction regarding the death.
    Pretty sad that we even have to have such cases in our courts anyway. Pointless.

1. profile image0

hmm..you bring up a lot of good points there about this issue.  I do agree that it's pretty sad with all the other problems we have out in the world that something like this is allowed to be taken to court. However, what if it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the incident was the direct cause of the old lady's death, then should the parents still be held accountable or the child though?

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

IMHO, the legal system is out of control.

1. profile image0

i'll say. ONLY IN AMERICA you can have the right to sue a 4 yr old.

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

The way law works is so insane.  There is something called 'Duty of Care' under Unintentional Tort or Negligence.  It means that a reasonable person has a duty to take care not to harm another.  Breach of Duty is the failure to act as a reasonable person in a case where they 'knew' or 'should have known' that their actions would cause harm.  I think the judge in this case is way off base.  The kid's lawyer needs to prove some defense against the negligence such as Superceding or Intervening Event.  The woman died but not as a result of the accident so therefore the "superceding event" sort of trumps the negligent act.  He could try to prove Assumption of Risk in that the woman at 87yrs old assumed the risk of walking outside on a Manhatten sidewalk by herself.  Maybe a case could be made for Contributory Negligence, both the child and she were at fault because she probably walked in front of the kid.  There is also something which is held strictly for children called Attractive Nuisance.  The sidewalk, the bike, the outdoors might together be considered an attractive nuisance. All in all, I'd say it will be appealed and the appelate court will find some error for mistrial.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I hope it gets appealed too, as I still can't believe this is being taken to court in the first place.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

What, exactly, does the estate of the deceased Ms. Menagh expect to gain from suing a 4-year-old? It won't bring the lady back.
    When you're 87 there is an inherent risk in walking. Period.
    And she died 3 months later of UNRELATED CAUSES.
    In a word, this case sounds BOGUS.

1. Diane Inside profile image72
      Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No they were related causes, when anyone breaks their hip or leg at 87yrs old their health rapidly deteriorates because is very hard for them to bounce back from something like this.

I saw this alot at the hospital.

Even though it may seem unrelated its like a domino effect once one thing happens it won't be long till it becomes another thing then another. If you live that long.

2. profile image0

Well there's no arguing the case sounds bogus.  I mean seriously. I could understand them wanting to sue the kid if they were like a teenager to teach her a lesson, but what do they honestly expect to gain out of suing  a 4 year old?  She probably barely understands what's going on.  Let alone comprehend the fact that her actions might be an indirect cause of this woman's death.

6. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

No I would not sue a 4yr old she has little comprehension of right or wrong and has no idea of the ramifications of what her actions would do.

I might sue her parents for neglegence for not watching her better, if it was proven that the parents could have avoided this incident by being more diligent when watching her.

But most likely this kid was only playing and didn't realize what was happening till it was to late.

sad what this world is coming to when you have people who want to sue a 4yr old.

1. profile image0

agreed!

7. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

Sue a four year old, for what her candy and piggy bank?  besides that I believe the law says something about bringing legal proceedings to only those who know the difference between right and wrong, and must be over the age where they can understand and be logical, somewhere around 12 or 13

1. profile image0

yeah, i thought so too.  thats one of the reasons why i wouldn't be surprised if this case get's appealed, as i can't see this holding up.

8. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

maybe the 4 year old should go to kiddie prison for assault

1. profile image0

lollol

9. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I would sue the Osh Kosh pants right off that little crumb cruncher.  Punishable by extra vegetables at dinner and cooties.

1. profile image0

what about the time out chair?  yeah, give her the chair! the chair! lollol

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

A 4 year old does not have a TRUE NOTION or understanding of words "danger","ijury","death". You cannot blame him/her. that's why people hire babysitters for a long time, till 15 may be. If not,they just watch them closely like hawks themselves! You cannot sue his parents, what can they do? Sometimes it's just a matter of seconds between life and death/injury situation. It's just your lucky chance that you've won today, that you've been quicker that you stupid "chicken" who jumped in front of a speeding car or into the cold river, or just into the wrong end of a swimming pool. And you were desperate enough to be faster than the car,river or whatever. That's how my 4 years old son learned how to swim - he jumped into the wrong side of a swimming pool(2,5 metres deep)! Not everybody is lucky. Some people win a lottery, some win a life. I never won  a lottery, but a life - numerous times!

1. profile image0

interesting opinion. you bring up some valid points. thanks for sharing homegirl. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)