THE END OF THE WORLD!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Are people really this stupid?
    Why do people refer to the possibility of "our" extinction as the end of the world?
    This planet will be here billions of yrs after we human idiots are gone!
    Shouldn't one wonder about the "END OF MANKIND instead of the "THE END OF THE WORLD?"
    There certainly will be no consciousness of "the world," but it'll sure be here.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You seem to like the word "stupid" and I don't.
      Well, it might have something to do with the fact that if human being didn't exist on Earth then "our" world ends. It is pretty much a given, considering if there was not a single conscious person left on the planet- then 'who' would be able to say that the Earth or Reality even exists at all?
      This is probability, but since you're a pessimist, I'll leave it at that.
      The 'end of humanity' and the 'end of the world' are the same thing if there are no human on Earth.
      True enough.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cags:
        "qwark wrote:
        You seem to like the word "stupid" and I don't."
        Yep I do Cags. Hey, if the shoe fits, wear it.   :-)

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The end of the world.... as we know it wink

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And I feel fine smile

1. profile image0
          shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol - I have a little rapid eye movement hehehe

3. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes smile

2. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Why are people so thoughtless/careless in there use of verbiage when approaching a subject in print?
    Don't the realize that they are judged by what/how they present their thoughts?

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Good morning Quark. Are you talking to yourself?

1. qwark profile image59

Ohma...evidently.
      If you are trying to be "cute," in your response, lol the question has nothing to do with the way I present my questions/responses/hubs.
      Am I being too sensitive....:-)
      If you think I fit-the-bill of the "unthoughtful/careless" people I'm referring to, pls give me some examples.
      I'm always open to improvement.
      Qwark     :-)
      I'm going out for brkfast. I'll check your response when I get back with a full stomach.    :-)

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He always does when no one answers him immediately or is not interested in what he is saying smile

4. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Qwark - it goes beyond claiming the world will end but include using done (meaning finished, completed) instead of don't, a conjunction for do not. I done think the world will end because it makes no sense. To say I don't think the world will end would be more accurate but false, if nothing else this planet will be engulfed by the Sun someday in the far distant future.

My suggestion, take nothing seriously that cannot be written with any semblance of logic big_smile

1. qwark profile image59

Hi Kirsten:
      "My suggestion, take nothing seriously that cannot be written with any semblance of logic."
      I take very little of anything I read in the "forum" seriously."
      Thanks for the suggestion....:-)

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

qwark wrote:

Cagsil wrote     You seem to like the word "stupid" and I don't.

======================
    qwark wrote:
    Why do people refer to the possibility of "our" extinction as the end of the world?

Cagsil wrote   Well, it might have something to do with the fact that if human being didn't exist on Earth then "our" world ends. It is pretty much a given, considering if there was not a single conscious person left on the planet- then 'who' would be able to say that the Earth or Reality even exists at all?

=============================
    qwark wrote:
    This planet will be here billions of yrs after we human idiots are gone!

This is probability, but since you're a pessimist, I'll leave it at that.

==============================
    qwark wrote:
    Shouldn't one wonder about the "END OF MANKIND instead of the "THE END OF THE WORLD?"

Cagsil  wrote   
    The 'end of humanity' and the 'end of the world' are the same thing if there are no human on Earth.

============================
    qwark wrote:
    There certainly will be no consciousness of "the world," but it'll sure be here.

True enough.
    ==============================

This is similar to what I have been saying concerning prophesy that was given to that Hebrew Nation that became non existent in 135 AD.

The prophesy concerning end of days were speaking of end of days for  THAT  Hebrew Nation.

6. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Are people really this stupid? (the shoe seems to fit)

"stu·pid (stpd, sty-)
    adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
    1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
    2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
    3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless"

That's what I really want to know.
    I'm of the opinion that I'm right.   :-)

1. profile image0
      Revive@OwnRiskposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In reference to number 2, above:

People are becoming obtuser and obtuser.
      Curioser and curiouser.

The world is a curious place with obtuse people everywhere. The end of the world and the end of humanity isn't a concern for me. I'm more concerned about how to get along with so many people who are obtuser and obtuser.

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

If we were to have an over view of the students who attend  the slowest of the slow classes, we would see at least one student that appears to be the smartest in class looking down on the rest of us.

That is the way civilization must appear from above.

1. Poohgranma profile image79
      Poohgranmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOWZERS qwark!  I sure hope you let God know about this so He can be properly prepared.  Love your bio - I think it's the best you've written to date.  Stupid is as stupid does you know ... get yourself a box of chocolates.

1. canadawest99 profile image62
        canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the clarification should be, our world will end someday, not the earth.  It will be here a while yet.

2. qwark profile image59

...lolol..In the end, he who has the most candy. wins!
        Poohgranma:
        Pls, oh pls, I beg you...challenge me on anything I write. Be sure tho, to properly "arm" yourself for the challenge. I will not destroy the intellectually unarmed participant.
        Go for it "pooh!"       :-)
        Qwark
        PS
        "Love your bio - I think it's the best you've written to date."
        I've only written one (1) profile to date. Where'd ya get the other ones ya mention Granma?
        I'd like to read 'em to.   :-)

Oh good and I thought it was going to be another wasted evening.  Talk to yourself in my absence while I read more of your Hubs, don't mind do you?

2. Poohgranma profile image79

I'll answer your last question first.  I said I love your bio not your profile.  I find your bio in most of your hubs that I've read. Each time you let go and lose yourself in, you would probably consider reverie, I see more of you than you'd like anyone to see.  That you are a well educated, even brilliant writer you shoot yourself in the foot.

Now does this or does it not contradict the statement you made here?  And if not, why not?  And BTW, wrtiien in the context you used it, too is the proper spelling ....lol.  I know I come unarmed but then we have something in common.  On my turf you are as ignorant as I am here. smile

It Will Swallow the Earth
          By qwark
          How many of you know that, in about five billion years or so, at the end of its life, the Sun will start to fuse helium into heavier elements and begin to swell up, ultimately growing so large that it will swallow the Earth. After a billion years as a red giant, it will suddenly collapse into a white dwarf -- the final end product of a star like ours. It may take a trillion years to cool off completely.

Should I correct all of the mistakes I just made or will you do me the honor?

"that you are a well educated, even brilliant writer is evident, however, you shoot yourself in the foot."

"each time you let go and lose yourself in what you would probably consider reverie"

written - I think this is the most humorous, I mistype a word while chiding you about the use of to rather than to...being picky because you are a difficult one to find fault with.

"the use of to rather than too"  Dear Lord I don't make this many typos in first drafts!

2. qwark profile image59

Granma...I bow in reverence to the astute and observant attention you paid to my "bio." lol
            My bad! You did say "bio" and I, in abject ignorance, took that to mean my profile/biography.
            I offer the back of my hand. You may slap it without fear of retribution....lol
            Now, lets see what else.
            Granma, I didn't find fault with your spelling?? Not at all! Even "Wowzers" was right on the money....:-)
            I shot myself in the foot? I checked 'em both Granma. Both are in great condition...but then I do heal fast..:-) Just out of curiosity tho, can ya give me an account of the "incident?" I don't recall it...TY
            If by "reverie" ya say I'm daydreaming or functioning mentally in an abstract world of thought, I must admit that you again, Granma, are correct. My curious mind does wander. You are very
            perceptive!
            I do appreciate that you realize that it is difficult to find fault with my "hub" meanderings...I'll take that as a compliment whether ya meant it to be or not...:-)
            I like your responses Granma...go for 'em!
            Qwark...:-)
            Bye the way Granma, thanks for reading "It will swallow the earth."

You can call me pooh, qwark because you could have cut me off at the knees and didn't.  There is no incident but a thread that runs through your hubs (well those that I've read so far).  It is the tiniest teeniest consideration that maybe you have kinda sorta "earned" someone caring.  You and I are almost as far apart on an intellectual plain as two people can be but my training, if you will, demands that I pay attention to the subliminal - it's kept me alive this long and it's a tough habit to break...that's all.

You didn't answer my question though, if "It Will Swallow The Earth", contradicts your statement.  I no longer ask wearing amour but with honest interest in being educated.

1. qwark profile image59

Ok Pooh:
                Good response!
                I'll answer your question.
                The point of the "hub" was this:
                We are a a primitive species which is existing in its infancy.
                We have a potential of existing, as a species, for about another billion years.
                The earth will be here until the sun runs out of fuel and "swallows" most of the planets in our solar system in an explosive blast of heat, in about 5 billion yrs.
                If we can't come together and work in concert to evolve in a manner that will take us into space in search of another planet to inhabit, as the sun dies and "swallows" everything about it, we humans will not even be a memory to any facet of intelligence existing in the universe or beyond. We will have been a short lived, valueless happening.
                The way mankind is functioning today, there is no chance at all of becoming a 'successful" species.
                Thanks for becoming a follower Pooh!  :-)
                Qwark

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

This is the end of the world as we know and I feel fine...

9. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself!

Lewis Grizzard

10. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I saw a good Youtube video about this before, they say most evidence of humans will eventually degrade and the only evidence of human existance will actually be on the moon! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)