Would you rather see a movie at the theater or at home on DVD?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 13 years ago

Why?

1. Sarah Masson profile image60
      Sarah Massonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do love seeing movies at the theatre, especially ones with great graphics and loud noise eg Titanic or avatar etc. but I find that I concentrate and take in the movie better if I'm in the comfort of my own home

2. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I think it is very hard to get me to go see a movie at the theater unless it is in 3D or on Imax. Otherwise, I would rather watch it at home and avoid all the crying babies, and the sticker shock of the average proice of a ticket to see these movies.

I saw a movie at Sea World when it was still in Ohio. It was called "Pirates" In 4D. You can't get a movie experience like that at home. It was 3D combined with rain falling from the ceiling, buzzers in the seats when those pesky bees are swarming, and a huge spray of water flying at you near the end.

If I could see something like Avatar with those kind of extra added effects, I would be more than glad to pay to see it. That or Star Wars Have a lightsaber battle during the movie would be cool.

3. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Depending on the movie, rather at Theater, But...usually at home.

Reasons: Cell phones, unruly children screaming, talking, adults talking, people getting up and down all the time blocking view,the Price!!!!

Cheaper to buy DVD. lol Add the cost of movie for one person with a drink and a snack and you save money with the DVD at home.

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Definitely at home for the reasons Michael Willis and Brimancandy mentioned. People have no respect or manners anymore. Every time I go to theater now, I end up pissed off. I just don't go anymore. Way too expensive to have a crappy experience.  If theater companies start hiring bouncers and actually throwing the a-holes out, I'll come back. I love the movie theater experience, just not what it has become in the last fifteen or so years.

5. nell79 profile image78
    nell79posted 13 years ago

We rarely go to the movies anymore and always buy what we want to see on DVD. Why? One reason is we spend a lot less, but mainly it's because we have those crying babies that annoy even us when we're trying to concentrate on that screen ahead--and if we, the parents, are annoyed, then I'm sure those strangers who don't know or care how lovable my little ones usually are wouldn't want to hear that during their paid movie experience either! wink

We have a good-sized HDTV with surround sound, so we have a pretty good experience at home anyway (minus the 3-D though). If we can have a date night, movies are great, but otherwise, I love that we can pause it when someone inevitably has a meltdown or makes a poopy during the climax of the movie! lol

6. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Last movie I saw in the theater was Alice in Wonderland 3d.  We have a theater in the next town over that has a VIP room that only 21+ year olds can get into.  It was great.
    Mostly I prefer movies at home,  can order Netflix from my Xbox and a full meal for the same price has 2 movie tickets with a large soda.

7. TomC35 profile image60
    TomC35posted 13 years ago

Depends on the movie.  For great special effects I want to be at the theater, but for a romantic comedy being at home on the coach is just fine.

8. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

At home on DVD... I tend to fall asleep and dont like watching movies in a crowd....

9. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Oh I SOOOO love watching movies at home! For one, I'm 90% deaf so I need some good headphones on. Plus I really like to get into the movie.

How can anyone do that with kids talking, phones blinking on and off, babies crying, people moving around and so on.

I suppose many view movies as a social event and what is playing does not much matter. But to me the movie is the whole focal point.

So yes I'll take watching them at home any day. smile

10. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

If I go to the movies, it's usually in the morning during the week.  Tickets are way cheaper, and most of the butt faces are at work or in school.  I love seeing movies in the theater, but it's become such a hit or miss experience because of the audience.  When all else fails, there's always Netflix :0)

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

It depends on the movie. Big movies like Avatar, Inception, Titanic, etc. are definitely made to be seen on a theatre size screen. I'll watch them at home after I see them in the theatre first, and it's never the same.

I think it's fun to go out. The crowds don't bother me and generally once the movie starts, people are quiet.
    or go during the day when there are less people.

12. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Usually a DVD at home is my preference.  With a family of seven, the cost of the theater makes staying home real inviting.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)