We need to fix this country fast but dont expect me to change anything

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01 … t-offices/

Everyone is crying that the government needs to cut costs across the board but the part they forget to mention is that this also must be accomplished with no changes to their daily routine. Everyone is mot only willing to let the other guy make all the sacrifices to save his country, he demands it.

Take the postal service, it has been bleeding money for years and now that they are considering closing the worst wastes of our money, people say they can't live if they have to wait an extra day to get the copy of the national enquirer. It doesn't matter how much it costs, these people refuse to allow a failing business to close. I believe these are the same people who complained about the bank bail outs. They will take a bail out in a heart beat huh?

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
      BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait a minute....according to you, Fox News lies all the time.  So why are you posting a news link from them?

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always check to see what those I disagree with are saying. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile. I'm curious to see what their republican followers have to say in the comment section. These comment are usually so far to the right that Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan could find them. I probably dated myself with that one didn't I?

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
          BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just a tad.....

2. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your idea. Most, even on the right believe that no matter what the problem is, it's someone else's problem to solve.

3. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm all for eliminating the post office. The problem with that is the rural areas would have no service.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and the price of mail would rise and rise again.

1. lady_love158 profile image61

I don’t think so. Why should it? And what if it does?

1. profile image0

It would because the already near monopoly of the private mail sector would have no cheap competition.  And if it does then costs for everything also rise.  Simple economics I think.

So you're saying it's cheaper now because it's a monopoly and it would be more expensive if there was competition?

1. John Holden profile image61
                John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what happened in the UK when they privatised the public utilities, they introduced competition and prices rocketed!

The only way that could happen is if were selling below cost and in that case somebody was paying the difference elsewhere.

1. John Holden profile image61
                    John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Er not the only way it could happen! Sell a product on a not for profit basis and by definition it will be cheaper than a product sold at a profit and producing a dividend.

Do you know the stated reason for selling off the railways was to remove the need for public subsidy. In the first year of the privatised railway we paid them instead of a subsidy, an operating grant. Meanwhile the newly privatised railways paid their shareholders a dividend. That dividend was equal to the operating grant that we paid the railway companies.

2. profile image0

You always see things the other way around?   I clearly said that the post service is cheap and without it the private sector can dharge you what it likes because you have no control over it of any kind.

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

The same is happening in the UK. Nearly everyone agrees that there needs to be cuts in public spending, but there are howls of outrage as soon as it is one of their bits that is being cut.

There is also some fairly cynical cuts going on designed to provoke outrage.  The local councils have had their budgets cut, and they are cutting services like the 'lollypop' men and women who help kids cross roads near schools.  They know that this is going to cause local protests, but rather than cut their expenditure on other less frontline services, or on management jobs or by becoming more efficient, they are hoping that all the protests will cause the government to become uncomfortable and restore their higher level of funding.

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am one of those lollipop ladies, and I am watching the news hmm
      I do wonder if those bosses of mine driving expensive cars and what not will be making cuts in their offices. Well I just hope the councils hold to form and take forever to sort out laying us off! lol

1. profile image0

Now I am in love with you --   I just love lollipop ladies !!!

The epitome of perfection in a crazy world !

3. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

On the flip side, maybe everyone is afraid that the finger will be pointed at them to make the sacrifices, while others just keep on raking in the gravy. Sacrifices? OK, who wants to go first.

If our partisan elected reps would craft a long term economic strategy - with everyone contributing equally - maybe some headway could be made. This will happen sooner or later, the question is how bad do things have to get before the overall good outweighs partisan greed?

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How bad? My guess, complete collapse.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image75
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, you may very well be right.

2. profile image0

Maybe if they removed all thise useless public servants busy doing nothing useful they would all be available to so some work that helps the economy rather than sucking it dry.

Maybe we could make a list of useless public jobs ?

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Finance, insurance and real estate.  Functions that are parasitic on the true productive output of the economy. If we could keep such functions to a minimum, more like public utilities than central players in the economy. And, the great mass of jobs involving sales, marketing, advertising, public relations, consulting, legal work, accounting and the broad array of desk jobs necessary for any large industrial concern. We spend millions on that with result very often quite negative, no matter how you look at it
        Another thing - do I need a box of cookies wrapped into foiled paper,cellophane, sophisticated plastic tray,colorful outer layer with laminated pictures of enhanced quality that goes straight into garbage as soon as I opened the box? Give me a break! Any paper bag that says "cokies" printed on it with name and description of ingredients would be just fine. Waste, waste, waste. Shame,shame,shame. They waste not just my prosperity - my children's future too.

1. profile image0

GO Home girl !  The whole culture revolves around added value that benefits no-one except big corporations.  The sooner it goes down the pan the better !

4. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with the post office running 3 time a week. More and more people use the internet for their communications and banking. About the only thing my mailperson brings me is junk mail I have to recycle. The post office has become just like public schools, nothing more than a place to keep people employed.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

If you agree that cuts in spending need to be made...

and you agree that government won't make these cuts...

Then you agree that the form of government known as a republic is inherently flawed.

The incentives of leaders: "I know, I'll promise more than I can pay for! That'll get me elected, I'll just find a way to increase taxes very lightly to make it sound like I made up the difference!"

-10 years later-

"Uh oh, it turns out that we're billions in debt, no one wants a tax increase, we've borrowed trillions, and we've already quadrupled the money supply.... but if i cut spending, then people will be mad at me and vote me out"

---

Wake up, America. All types of government, even our precious republic and democratic forms are inherently flawed: those who spend are rewarded, and those who cut are punished.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we will have to wait long to discover what type of government Americans will submit to next. I didn't think I would be alive to see this country destroyed. I never once thought that the destruction would come from within.

Considering the 700 billion dollar defense budget, I think we can do a decent job protecting this country from an outside threat. We have no defense against an inside the country threat and they are continuing to press this advantage. We keep voting the same one in and listening to and spreading the same old lies. Most of America deserves an oscar for repeating their lines so well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)