Are you tired of all the trees being cut to print tons of junk mail?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

I select paperless billing when ever it is offered. I bank on line and pay my bills that way to reduce paper useage. Every week I am bombarded with junk mail and offers for credit cards I don't want or need. While sitting around mad at the injustice of this, I remembered a novel way to send a message to those who destroy the planet to send out bales of special offers I obviously can't live with out.

Most every piece of unsolicited mail that enters my house comes with a handy dandy postage free return envelope for my convience. I simply place their offer in this free return envelope and mail it back to em. One person alone doesn't seem to be able to make a difference. I would love to be a fly on the way on about the tenth day in a row that they get back 20,000 pieces of mail they had to pay to get back.

So will anyone join me in my efforts to send a message and force them to pay for it?

As I said before, I am actually carrying on a tradition my father started about 3 years ago. I do believe the reduction in stress coupled with the sheer joy of poking the credit card companies in the eye, has lowered his blood pressure. Do your heart some good and the planet at the same time. I would love to see 100,000 pieces of junk mail a day being returned.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget to spread the word to your friends and family.

We might even be able to get these companies to bail out the U.S. Postal Service with the increase in postage they will gain returning all this crap. Too bad we wont be able to return the trees cut down to send them out in the first place.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

most trees that are turned into paper either comes from recycled sources, or from private forests that are maintained properly so they won't deplete.

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny that, the Forestry Commission was set up by the government in the UK because private forestry was so badly maintained that it had virtually ceased to exist.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm in agreement with Evan here. I worked for a lumber company in NC. You have to recognize that trees for paper can go from nut to harvest in 6 years. Hardwood, as you would use for cabinets and floors take 30 years (give or take a little). So pine is a VERY renewable resource while hardwoods should not be harvested at a rate in excess of being replenished.

There are a lot of pine farms here in SC and i an familiar with the operations. Hemp for paper grows from seed to harvest in 7 to 8 months and produces a longer fiber than pine and results in a better quality paper. The environment problems from clear cutting forests are well known to most people. Hemp not only stabalizes the soil it will remove polutants from the soil. Bamboo is gaining acceptance in cabinet making. There are altenatives to cutting forests down and there is no viable excuse for making paper out of wood pulp. The chemicals needed for the bleaching process should not be ending up in our water supply as a cost of keeping hemp illegal. If we simply planted hemp on the acreage that our government currently pays farmers not to plant each year, we could supply all of our energy needs both automotive fuel and electric power. I mention hemp here because it is a direct link between the oil companies and the wood/paper industry. Both industries profit from the current status, and it's quo, and have no problem placing their profits above the welfare of the country that probably subsidizes them in some form or fashion. They need these profits to bribe our government for more subsidies and the right to write the laws and regulations they are supposed to follow. Hemp makes superior building materials such as plywood. Plastic made from hemp is boidegradible. I understand that there will be industries that shut down and people who need to be retrained in another field. These reasons are not good enough to avoid improving our environment and lifestyles, IMO. If a business cant stay competative in the normal world it closes it's doors. Here in America we have industries that are being protected from this normal cycle simply to protect the profits of those making them. Using this lline of reasoning we should still be able to buy asbestos shingles and building materials. Everyone wants the country to improve as long as it's the other guy who has to make the sacrifice.

3. izoooom profile image60
      izoooomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of paper these days are recycle from the old though. Gotta recognise that.

4. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and those "opt-out" services don't do anything.

After submitting my mailing address to them my junkmail increased.  Suspicious.

2. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

This also reduces the amount of paper you have to recycle. All kinds of benefits and fun possible here.

3. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Wood/paper is the most abundant resource on the planet, so that really isn't a top issue of mine. However I get where you are coming from. Recycling is important, but things like metals and plastics need to be recycled 100%, as to where I would push paper to the back burner, but wasting paper is never good.

I would be happy if they would simply start making paper out of hemp like it's supposed to be. The additional problems associated with clear cutting forests to supply the need and the multitude of chemicals that enter the water systemfrom the current pulp wood based paper is more of a problem that running out of wood will ever be.

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm far more concerned by slash and burn forestry clearance for beef production than I am by the use of managed woodland for paper production.

I understand and this is by no means is this an end all solution to anything. Probably wont make a difference in the long run unless enough people sign on. The pleasure I get thinking about the mail room worker opening a bunch of the same mail they shipped out last week, always brings a smile and brightens my day. Now if you will excuse me, I have a venision meat loaf about to come out of the oven. Bambi was shot in the trees and this is another good reason to keep 'em around.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Yes and its not just junk mail,its all companies that send out invoices ,then another saying the invoice has been cleared.

For example ,last month I saw a Doctor ,one invoice, 2nd invoice, 3rd notifying me of zero balance.

Doctor (same visit) sent me for bloodwork...

One,two,three invoices followed again.

Doc also referred me for an Xray

More invoices!!

So one Doctors visit = 9 separate invoices.

(Actually ,there were 4 more ,because I was late paying for the Xray)...

Just plain stupid! all coming from the same hospital.

I still fight with my cable company. Every 3 to 4 months, Charter forgets that I handle everything online and will start sending bills and offers. Even the people who provide my email service wont use it consistantly. Gotta ship out the same lock in my savings for 2 years offer I get online every 3 or 4 months.

5. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

first, paper production is based on a renewable resource. Pulp wood. It's "farmed" for that purpose. It's no different than a field of beans, wheat or corn.

However, I agree with you with the "Junk Mail" its unbelievably wastefull. Mailing it back may just get their attention. Much of paper used for marketing and advertising is so full of ink and other chemicals it's not easily recyclable anyway. In fact, in some cases the recycling process is more toxic than the production process.

6. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I like your idea. I can't stand the amount of junk mail that i get...that i promptly send to the recycle bin...that gets shipped to china...for them to turn into pulp products and devise some cheap product to make...and ship it back for us to buy at Wal-mart!

7. chirls profile image72
    chirlsposted 13 years ago

I know what you mean. I moved to tht US a couple of years ago and I get a TON of junk mail, random catalogues I never asked for, and loads of stupid address stickers and useless crap from charities. I joined Sierra Club a few years back and was appalled at the resulting inundation of junk mail.
    In the UK I was able to sign up to a service that stopped you getting most junk mail. I love your idea but I also wonder if there is such a service in the US. I might even pay for such a service, that's how much I hate junk mail!

Cheryl

LMAO, why does that not suprise me. The Sierra Club, lol. Make them pay to get it back. I'm not sure but I believe prepaid return envelopes are charged when used. I could be wrong and it's a flat rate, Anyone know for sure?

8. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

We went a way for two weeks and had our mail held at the Post Office. When I picked it up the other day there was so much junk mail that I could hardly carry it. (Quite a few magazines, also, I confess. Some of which I haven't renewed, but they keep coming.)

I dont know why we dont charge people extra for a printed edition of anything. The world is going digital and there is no reason not to keep pace. Change happens, it's about the only thing you can count on. We are loosing a football field of forest every second of every hour on this planet. Why, partly so men have something to do before the wipe theiur reasend with another tree.

9. Santi Lio profile image61
    Santi Lioposted 13 years ago

Totally sick of it. When I sign up for electronic filing I still get paper mail. So wasteful.

Start sending it back to them. It is a good way to slow down the number of credit card offers you get, They have almost stopped here.

Every time I get paper mail from my cable company I call and threaten to leave and go wireless. Most times they offer something for my trouble.

It stops the paper for a couple of months and they cant resist going to the trouble of  reminding me it's time to call and get my free gift again.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...hmmmmm....wonder 'bout how much toilet paper there is vs junk mail.....

..i've seen how the forest industry works in Canada...was going to do a hub on it....you have to see it, but, as well understand how it all works...i've lots of photos...i'll write about it one day from my perspective...

The US has done a great job of protecting forests in the US - some old growth too - lots of parks...I think Roosevelt started it all... (the US is cuttin' down Canada instead smile )

People in this country convienently forget that there is a world out side of our borders. Gets a little old for the world I'm sure. An acre of forest disappears every second of every day that doesn't have to.  I know that there are alot of people who work in this industry and that this is a large issue. This country has neverheld itself back for the benifit of the few until recently. Progress is not something to be considered until we have run the old technology into the ground. If it is cheaper and more profitable to do things the way we have for 100 years, the fact the we are destroying the planet is no reason to rock the yachts of those making billions.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Canada is getting better....the forest industry is working much better, etc. in terms of regulation - there's further work to do of course......and the aboriginal folks are asking the forest companies for some of their land back!  and in some cases a share in the profit...and it's all starting to come together....the aboriginal folks vs the canadian forest co's and us forest co's and of course canadian gov't....it's all pretty complicated...most folks don't give a sh**, but I pay attention to it....(I'm referring to western canada)

Canada has been creating more national parks too - it's about time.........Roosevelt had some insight obviously.....

Canada has been making some intelligent choices lately. I think you might be nicely positioned when the fire sale of America starts. I'm afraid to visit British Columbia, I would never want to leave, from what I've heard

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After the earthquake, BC will no longer be part of Canada

....no...BC will be Canada!....

...isn't that coincidentally,,,thousands of folks in bc did an earthquake drill at the same time throughout the province today........did you silly folks in Ont. think it was real?

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i hate trees and everything they stand for...

all except for the might Maple tree, of course.

I like pancakes to, greek.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

....i just knew it!.....

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

I used to do just that...but I also tore up their stupid form before sending it back...so then, instead of just paying the postage, they'd have to clean up a confetti mess as well!  **snork!!**

HOWever...I think many have gotten wise, and I've seen more and more that require postage..they're no longer "postage paid" reply envelopes.

The other thing I did was the same thing..mail back blank advertising and subscription solicitations that used to fall out of magazine pages by the dozens.

In retrospect, however, that was probably counter-productive, as that mailed-back stuff most likely ended up in a landfill.

Now, I just toss it, unread, into the recycle bin.

What's far worse, is the political mailings!!

13. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

thousands did the old duck and cover routine today?

Kinda like the Canucks in the playoffs? smile

My bad I thought you were talking about syrup, cant help it, I'm hungry

...ha ha ha....when GO talks about Leafs or Maple Trees  or the colour Blue or sumethin' about the year '67....it only means one thing SP....i'm like you I used to think of syrup too until i ran into GO....

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...sort of....."drop, cover and hold"....the Great BC Shakeout we called it...

....we're gettin' ready....ahhhhhhhhh...no thanks!

14. profile image50
    Perseus456posted 13 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    It's really a global concern, tropical forests are vanishing, we used up more not we could replenish.I see solutions to this, ban cutting of trees.Plant more trees, let's find alternative sources of raw materials for our stuff...

Hemp, Hemp, Hemp, I repeat Hemp. we have the alternative souces available. It seems that our lawmakers are listening to those who are currently profiting from the status retaining it's quo. Personally I think the quo lost it's staus a long time ago.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AMEN!

2. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paper mills use certified sustainable forests to make paper. For each tree that is cut, a minimum of 3 seedlings are planted. The forests are strictly maintained to prevent wildfires.
      They not only improve local ecologies, they act as carbon sinks and give homes to countless critters.
      All of these things are solutions to many of your global concerns.

smile

1. jaybob217 profile image59
        jaybob217posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me that I need to start recycling junk mail.

2. Stump Parrish profile image59

The extra chemicals required to turn pulp wood into paper are contributing to the destruction of our water systems. That the use of these  chemicals and pulp wood result in an inferior product is not even considered. Profits are just fine where they are and supplying customers with the best product available is no longer the American way. Hemp could be planted on the acerage that we currently pay farmers not to plant and it would supply the majority of petrol and electricity for the country. Oil likes the strangle hold they have on us and this wont be allowed to happen. The corporations who now control the market place and our government aren't going to allow anything as insignifcant as the future of our country to stand in the way of their record profits, are they?

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aside from the effects of paper mills, considerable energy is required to ship and dispose of junk mail and junk ads in Sunday newspapers. We recycle paper and plastics in separate containers. We have so much paper that one person can hardly carry the container out to the street.

1. wyanjen profile image69

But, banning paper won't fix that. I doubt hemp mail would be much less cumbersome.

I don't have curbside recycling - I have to drive it over. I don't get nearly as much junk mail as you do, tho. I fill up the recycle box every few weeks.
          Plastic, on the other hand... lol

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
            Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not in favor of "banning paper." My suggestion was that a better system is needed to allow mail recipients to shut off commercial junk mail from any or all sources. That would save energy and paper.

1. wyanjen profile image69

I like the opt-out idea too.
              Sorry, I thought you were in defense of the post I was replying to.

Of course Im biased on the issue - I make my living in the printing industry. smile

15. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

ya its very sad.

16. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

Yes, I am tired of getting so much junk mail. A foolproof method of shutting it off is needed. The don't call procedure works pretty well. Something similar is needed for US mail.

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...well, luckily where i live...i can leave a note on my mail box that states i don't accept junk and it doesn't get delivered...if anytime it slips through, I put it back in the postal mail box down the street.  I don't accept the 'free' community newspapers either...they don't deliver them...they're just full of junk.  And, if the junk is addressed to me and it has to be delivered, I open it and save it up and return it all to those unsolicited ones who include postage paid envelopes.........basically i mail the junk back to them.....i've been doing the above for years....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)