My father just went to the hospital

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (31 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Yesterday he was kinda confused. I gave him his medicine. It's just my parents and me and the guy who shovels, live in dishwsher guy.

Today I got up very late, but he said he ate breakfast. I was busy cleaning the house today.

I went in to see him in his room, it's always a mess he likes it that way.

He looked not well. I put a cool washcloth on his forehead, took his temp, it was 97.4
    I put cream on his legs and feet, and new socks. He was glad I was there helping him. He said he wondered what it would be like to (pass over). I wasn't sure what he meant at the time.

He is 84
    My momj (77) wasn't up to helping him, she's not too well either. I've been spending much more time with them. [they are very independent and don't want any nurses and want to die at home]

So, I gave him icewater and some gingerale, he said he had an upset stomach.

His eyes, I kept checking on him, were half open. He seemed somewhat confused. He said to call his doctor.

He seemed to be getting worse, I had a feeling in my gut I should call the 911 people. My mom put me off doing it for like almost 1/2 hour. She knows he wants to die at home. Anyways, I called. I had to.

So they took him away. He didn't refuse.

I noticed after they left (he hid it, and they didnt tell me though they asked why he needed to spit up and Iknow he has always had post nasal drip and he spits up phlem.) I saw a plastic bowl 1/2 full of coagulated blood. I was surprised.

I feel sad.
    I had to be strong for both my parents, my mom panicks easily. So I'm glad I was there for them and esp my dad, I comforted him and he was grateful.

This is my latest, and I'm sad.

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry to hear, hope he gets well soon! smile

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

I know it's hard, but you did the right thing and it's good that you're a strong person.
    I wish you and your family the best.

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Brenda
      It would have been too creepy for him to (die at home)

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Dad died at home.  He was in his 90's.  I lived out-of-state, so I wasn't there.  But my Mom was and some of my brothers.  It was hard on them.  But that was his wish, and it would've been hard on them either way.  That's just how it is.  Sometimes...I wish I'd been there.  That way I could've maybe grieved sooner.  As it is, it took me a long time to really grieve,  and it would just hit me at different times over the years like a ton of bricks that he was gone and I didn't have the chance to say last goodbyes. But I'm not sure I could've handled it as well as my brothers did.
        Hey, I'm getting ahead of myself I guess, and rambling.  Is there a chance that your Father will recover and come back home for a while?  Either way, take comfort in knowing you're showing both him and your Mom an awesome love from their daughter; it's really a special thing!

He may be ok
          ty
          It's always hurts no matter how many times they go. i didn't have anyone to talk to about till i talked to joe,brother, and he got emotional on the phone was nice, not everyone can show feelings.

He's being transferred to brigham and women's in boston. he had blood transfusion and he's tired, wally brohter visited him. lEveryone is helping out.

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear of your dad's troubles.
    I will be sending positive thoughts out to you and your family in this time of hardship.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that, schoolgirl.

Yes, you need to be strong for your parents - it is good that they have and can depend on you for that.

My thoughts will be with you.

5. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

Thankyou. I'm feeling okay.
    I just wanted to share what happened and I'm glad you all responded smile

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

My prayers are with you

thx greek one, kind of you means alot!

7. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry about your dad, I am sure it is too soon to know exactly what's going on, but I will be thinking about you, take care.

He seems to be doing ok of what I hear, he's been transferred to brigham and womens a better hosp

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Hi SGFR.
    So sorry to hear about your dad. You seem very in tune with him. When we have a "feeling" we know. We just know.
    This may not be "it" for your dad, but he has verbalized the idea of passing over. So it's on his mind.
    Until you go through it you just don't know how you are going to react when your parents get really sick. You handled the situation really well.
    And now your job is to keep your mom calm.
    I hope they get your dad stabilized and that he is feeling better.
    Please know that your hubber friends are here whenever you need to share your sadness. We are praying for you, your mom, and your dad.
    Good luck. You will get through this.
    MM

9. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I sincerely hope they both are well again soon.

10. Woman Of Courage profile image62
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

schoolgirlfriend, I pray God will give you strength. Hang in there.

11. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for your family and sending a big hug your way.

ty

12. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It's always so hard to watch your parents continue to decline. I was there as my dad died and it was very difficult, but I'm glad I was there, as it brought me a lot of peace.

I hope that your dad won't have to suffer much. And I hope that you are okay as well. I hope you can find the peace you need to know that your dad is really okay, despite the outcome, and that you and your mom will be also.

Sending kindest and best.

13. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
  14. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

I talked to my sister, she told me that dad was not yet ready to 'pass over' (he said he wondered what it was like and I know he hid the blood he threw up and wanted to go, as he last time did 3yrs ago, but by me being there he did not give up.
    my mother avoided him. I didn't even know he was sick till I checked. He was glad I was there. I believe that he will come to know Christ before he dies, for he's been given more chances. Thank God he lived so he has more time to find Christ.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image62
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Remarkable news! God is Great. Your dad is a fighter. smile

thanks
        It's scary about my mom though, she just chatted sociabley the entire time the emt's were there you know the ambulance people, she has not seemed concerned since he felt sick, and not now.
        It's like she's ready to celebrate.
        Perhaps since he wasn't "perfect" all these years....she's been praying for him alot thou.
        hmm

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sounds like your Mom is in at least partial denial - one way to hold off the fear is to deny it.  To believe that everything will be all right.  Different people face this kind of terrible fear in different ways - that your Mom doesn't exhibit the reactions you would expect does not mean much. 

My own Mom seemed to go through some of the same kind of reaction right up till the last day or so before Dad left us.  Try to understand her, schoolgirl, and accept that she needs you in spite of what she might say or show the world.

It is a hard time no matter what the final outcome may be.  Be strong - there are many here thinking of and praying for you.

ok.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

schoolgirlfriend, I agree with wilderness. Hang in there. Everything will be alright.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my God!  This brought tears to my eyes.  Amen lady!

thankyou, dear! smile

15. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I agree with wilderness. Different people handle crises in different ways. When my father-in-law got into hospice and we acknowledged these were his final days, my mother-in-law did not get emotional at all. She didn't talk about his illness and she still doesn't (2 years this month).
    Probably best to just go with your mom's lead and not force the issue with her. Just be there for her, even if her way of coping is different from yours.

I forgot until I read your post about your dad finding Christ. In my dad's last 2 years of life he was in and out of the hospital A LOT. There was a lovely chaplain at the hospital named Suzanne. She was really sweet and respectful to my dad. She always seemed to show up when I was visiting him (my brother and sister never seemed to time it right for some reason). She would pray with my dad and me and give him communion. Those times were especially precious for me and really did help prepare me for my dad being taken by the angels....
    If you get a chance to do something like that with your dad, I hope you will.

Still praying for your dad and all of your family. MM

16. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

Glad to hear your dad is looking a bit better, schoolgirl. Still, sending lots of positive thoughts and hugs your way.

17. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

Thankyou, thankyou smile

I had a long day today, or it seemed.

Got to walgreens, library, after being there 1 1/2 hrs had to scrape my car (again!!!!) LOL
    And the windows get frosty on the [/i] inside![i]
    So,
    anyways, I go to get milk etc. and come home.

I still feel stressed. Because i'm a very feeling kind of person, whenever things like this happen, even thou he's better, I feel a bit on edge- w/ the pressures of being in charge, anyway, I'm going to take it easy, i'm tired, and watch tv.
    got cookies in the oven.
    I think I'm still sad
    but I'll be ok. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)