Tea Party claims victory for the country but is this the whole story?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Stump Parrish profile image62
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

One headline on my home page called it a Tea Party Uprising when the House rejected a Patriot Act extension.

NewsMax, the printed version of the Faux News Network had this to say: US House Rejects Extending Anti-Terrorist Provisions

//The Republican-controlled House defeated a bid to extend for nine months the government’s authority to conduct roving wiretaps of suspected terrorists, along with two other expiring provisions of the Patriot Act counter-terrorism law. Republicans leaders were unable to get the needed support even as they held open the roll call on the measure for about a half-hour beyond its 15-minute allotted time.//

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/BNSTAF … /id/385424

The Washington Post said this: House rejects measure that would extend key Patriot Act provisions through December

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/201 … id=topnews

Wired.com offered a different perspective or should I say the rest of the story?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/0 … es+2%29%29

//Those wanting Patriot Act reforms should probably stop applauding the House’s inability Tuesday to block three key spy provisions in the law from expiring at month’s end.

That’s because the House took procedural steps Wednesday that virtually guarantee those provisions would be extended in an upcoming vote.

The reauthorization bill failed by seven votes Tuesday because it needed two-thirds backing.

But not any more.

It required two-thirds Tuesday because it was considered emergency legislation and did not go through the House Rules Committee ahead of the vote. But on Wednesday, the legislation was sent to that committee, where it was approved 7-2. That means only a majority vote of the House is necessary for passage, and to extend the spy measure to Dec. 8.//

They claim to defeat a bill that they made sure will pass in a couple of days.

1. profile image55
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my question is why was it still in effect? Dems campaigned on this issue. They had a super majority and didn't address the issue.

1. lady_love158 profile image61
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Dems are hypocrites that's why!

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Oh the games people play
    every night and every day....
    (remember that song from the '70s?)

1. profile image55

Hopefully the Tea Party folks are watching this all play out. Their first response was that "our leadership didn't inform us on how this issue was to be handled" By leadership they meant the GOP. THATS NOT THEIR LEADERSHIP! The people who elected them are!

2. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do you remember the rest............
      'Cross our hearts and we hope to die,
      that the other was to blame'?

A person has to be extremely naive or a moron to think that any elected politician will do exactly as they want them to do.
      How many liberals are outraged at Obama for not following the exact path they wanted him to follow?
      My guess is that the extension will happen in some form, just have to wait til politicians get over being politicians.

I don't know about you, but to me the line between zingy and spiteful is when a person gloats about someone else's personal misfortune.  I have never taken pleasure in anyone's personal troubles including Clinton's.  I have great sympathy and sorrow for the spouses and children of those that have fallen because of their own inadequacy.  People come before politics in my book. 
      Hope your clients get utmost benefit of your sweetness! smile

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

Wow. So the very same Tea Party representatives who unseated or defeated GOP representatives to do the "people's" bidding are now admitting they don't have a clue what they're supposed to do and are not only looking to but blaming this on the establishment GOP?
    Wait a minute. This is sounding awfully familiar...
    "Don't blame me, blame the lamestream media."
    "It's all their fault!"
    "I'm the victim here!"

If you voted for a Tea Party candidate you're probably feeling just a tad ... disappointed (trying my best not to be cruel and spiteful today smile )

1. profile image55

No your not!LOL Your being spitefull today!LOL So what? It happens to us ALL! But yes, you get my drift on the issue exactly. These guys have already fallen into the status quo trap on the hill. Make no mistake, the Tea Party has been good in the sense that it makes Elected Officials LISTEN to their constituentcy. That benefits both parties voters. Don't believe me? Take a look at the voting prior and after the Tea Party came on to the scene. Several Congressmen have changed their position or were conviently absent on contriversal votes. Congressmen from "Blue Dog" states have had to move back to the center. RINO's have had to move further right. If only for appearances.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78

Very true, CJ. We should expect the presence of TP members to influence how Congress votes! If they have no effect,then they are not doing their job!
    I better go take my sweetness pill before I go see clients today!
    Apparently it's a thin line between zingy and spiteful smile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)