Was Clinton held in the same disdain as Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

By Republicans?

In other words, is this hatred just typical of the hatred of the Democrat party when they are in power, or is Obama doing something different?

Was Clinton more respected by Republicans, and if so why? And did Clinton earn more respect towards the second term or did he suffer from the precise same problems?

I am too young to remember, but answers on a postcard smile

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

does a cigar taste better after it has been 'Lewinskied'?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He got major kudos from my recently pubescent self for that one, she was bona fide MILF at the time.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cor blimey! I hope you raised your standards before getting married in Las Vegas. lol

1. profile image0

She was definitely worth a spurt in 1995!

2. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You took the thoughts right out of my head! But Ryan is older and wiser now. I'm sure Claire is wonderfully mature and level-headed.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image64
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MILF? Wasn't she in her early 20's?

1. DTR0005 profile image60
            DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah she was - not a MILF, but perhaps a "SILF."

2. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There was rampant hatred for Clinton on the far right. However Clinton has this charisma that Obama doesn't. Also Clinton wasn't dealing with the economic issues Obama has. People hold the President responsible for their economic woes....

3. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They spent more than $60 million to indict him for laying about Monica, but only $6 on the investigation involving the recent recession. You tell me.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I have to agree with Mark on this one....

She was not a mother... let alone one I would like to ____

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Monica Lewinsky a MILF? lol
    What was she,like 21 years old? That's too funny, Ryan!
    Bill Clinton showed questionable taste in his dalliances, that's for sure. I mean, Monica and that Flowers chick were no Marilyn Monroes!

The Clintons were the victims of a relentless right-wing campaign called Whitewater. What a waste of taxpayer money that was. And in the end, look where they are now? Clinton got a second term in office and left with a budget surplus.
    He is now one of the most effective ambassadors for this country and is even beloved by George Bush Senior (and rumor has it,also Barbara Bush). Hillary Clinton holds arguably the 2nd most powerful position in the US government.
    Goes to show you can't keep a good couple down!
    [I started to make a snide remark about "going down" but decided against it lol]

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

At that time I was a conservative Republican and I thought the Clintons were sent from hell.

But I got over it. I see him as a man vexed with sexual addiction who has a terrific capacity to negotiate and see things quite clearly in many regards, in the US and abroad. I think Hillary is a powerhouse. She just seems unflappable, which is one of the reasons why I admire her now.

Took me a while, but I came around. However, at the time, I do think he had nearly ALL republicans against him because of Whitewater and the sex scandal. I think Obama has more respect than Clinton did in his day. But the story's not over yet.

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Guys, I was only 13 or 14 when the allegations came to light, boys of that age are excited by everything!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you recovered from your teenage vision impairment. smile

She wasn't THAT bad - come on lol

1. profile image0

I've never really been fussy when it comes to cigar storage, although they do say that you should keep them in a cool dry place hmm

6. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Boy,where they out to get him! Spent BILLIONS on it too....and for what?
    And believe it, they will do it to Obama too.
    While completely ignoring the former R criminals of the century. idiots.

That was the beginning of hate-talk radio too (for me anyway)
    Limbaugh was relentless in his hatred, just as he is now.

"Philanderer-in-Chief", "Pot-Smoking Draft-Dodger". Said Clinton ordered the murder of that guy....called him a wimp, a hater of troops....god it was awful listening to that clap-trap. Just as it is now listening to it against Obama.

But Ohhhh, Bush was GOD.

Crimes? What crimes that compare with Bushco?

All I can hope is that there is a God and that he/she is Just. Been waiting for a long time on that one.

7. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I suspect that should a situation like the Monica Lewinsky affair surround Obama, he would not be forgiven as was Clinton.  Perhaps, due to the historical position Obama holds, as the first non-white president, more is expected of him, and the less people are willing to forgive mistakes he will make.  The same was true of Margaret Thatcher, as first female prime minister.

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Why anyone ever thinks that this leader or that leader is working off their own ability always escapes me.

They're all just the customer service front of whoever is yanking the chain - and the chain yankers are probably the same people, just different faces.

1. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not many folks grasp that, but I would agree with you for sure.  It is not just the face out front occupying the White House, it is the policy promoted by their handlers on both national and international levels with particular goals and visions for the world. Americans would do well to pay attention to that, but most do not.

I still see a lot of "tribalism" involved here. None of us like to admit it, but we all practice it - it's human nature. Policies aside, this guy just doesn't look like John Q. Public. I am not saying it's an issue of racism against Obama, but there is something there that goes deeper than just his policy....

9. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Jesus Christ, sorry I thought MILF is Moro or Muslim Islamic Liberation Front, - I googled it and I was LOL. It made my day.... It is BTW a group of Muslim militants that are linked to Al Qaeda which bombed trains or public places in the Phils.

I am not yet here when the Monica Lewinsky thing happened but I figured that if Republicans are treating the Clintons the same with B O now, then it must be the way it is here. I figured Presidents are more respected in other countries or people are more free to speak here, sometimes it borders on disrespect to the Office.

10. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I'm never going to be a republican or a democrat. As soon as you do that 50% of the political population hates you!

11. BillyDRitchie profile image61
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

I think with Clinton we started seeing the first signs of the rampant polarization of our political landscape as it stands today. 

Begun under Clinton, taken to extremes with Bush, and now carried forward with Obama, I think it's safe to say the days of bi-partisanship in any meaningful form are over....

12. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I grew up in a part of rural Nebraska that was 99.9% Republican. I was still in public school when Clinton was elected and I remember in the school's mock election he got only 5 votes, three of which were me, my sister, and my brother. After his inauguration, I remember sitting on the bus listening to some of my friends plot how to assassinate him and make it look like an accident. They were already devoted listeners of good ol' Rush.

Then we started homeschooling, and at that time, 99.9% of the homeschoolers in our area were fundamentalist Christian. They were convinced that Clinton had ordered the murders of a bunch of former associates. I kid you not: http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/bodycount.asp

Some also thought he was the Antichrist. (Just googled "Clinton antichrist" and it seems they've now decided they were mistaken back then and Clinton was only the "decoy" Antichrist. tongue )

The number of right-wing militias also exploded during the Clinton years, but I think it started dropping again after Oklahoma City when people started realizing that maybe calling for armed insurrection against the government wasn't such a brilliant idea after all, since some people are crazy enough to actually do it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/kcez5z.jpg

Militias have been on the rise again since Obama was elected, and it remains to be seen of the Giffords shooting will provoke a similar cooling off.

Anyway, though, the answer is yes. Obama's getting the same treatment Clinton did, though a few of the details have been changed. Obama gets accused of being a secret terrorist, not a murderer, for one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)