Words fail me as to this news quote.

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (35 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission held hearings Wednesday in Washington to explore a hiring trend seen in job ads. Phrases such as “no unemployed candidates will be considered” or “must be currently employed” are peppering job boards and want ads."

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're kidding, aren't you?!

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a strange one!

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...so they are reviewing the practice to determine whether or not some employers are discriminating? which could also translate into human rights cases?...if so, it's good they are reviewing it....and those employers could experience heavy penalties...

3. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Businesses are becoming more and more cut throat from what I can tell. Banks are leading the wolf pack with their unscrupulous tactics, and greed. Evidence is simply the profits they rake in while bankrupting their customers.

In a time of economic trouble, it is infinitely wiser for businesses to provide opportunities so that Americans can help reestablish a healthy economy, not worsen it by creating consumers who have no ability to provide themselves.

The mentality of the news release completely escapes me. It's reprehensible at first glance.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

yes, I saw that last night on the news. I think it's terrible that a company would only hire someone who already is employed, assuming unemployed people are somehow less qualified. I'm pretty sure it's one reason why there are still so many unemployed. Companies may not post like that ad, but they simply exclude them from consideration.

I once saw an article about an ad where a person would only hire someone with a new car!

5. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

As if there weren't enough hoops to jump through to get a job...now you have to have one to get one!

They do it to themselves though...because now after someone goes through the necessary three interviews for acceptance...and has all their paperwork in order...and are given a job offer...Someone can easily just say "No Thanks...I already have a job!"

6. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

There's also another splash of lemon juice on this paper cut: Companies have so many potential candidates that they low ball salaries for new employees, continuing the stress on the economy while the company's profits continue to climb. Additionally, young candidates are prized over experienced, seasoned candidates, because they know they will have a much easier time creating "yes-men" in training them, and less resistance than they would from mature, experienced workers.

But that's the illusion, isn't it. What is unethical or underhanded or not above board is not going to be accepted by your average, ethical worker. New, eager, hungry hires will go with the flow to keep the job, but in the end, they will rock the boat.

Business culture is very hostile toward its employees and to its customers in most cases.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60

I have decided to compile a list of American companies that are engaging in this practice. This is slow going.  If anyone knows of any perpetrators, posting their names here for all to see would be a good thing.

So far, I have found:

“NATIONAL ACCOUNT MANAGER - HOME DEPOT Job in Atlanta, Georgia US. Candidates must be currently employed ***. Good fits: Power Tools and Accessories, Pneumatics, Lawn and Garden, Plumbing, Paint, Building products, ...”

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Wow.
    Whoa.
    That's just weird and wrong....

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Here is an article someone I know posted on Facebook.

Another worth reading, with regards to jobs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou … -not-apply

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I will read it right now.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

WOW! 4,229 Comments in response to that article.

I'm now going through the links in it looking for perpetrators, i.e. taking names and kicking… smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

I have now published an ongoing hub on this subject.

Please get those contributions coming in! smile

11. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I'm not surprised at these job columns. In third world countries this is going on for quite some time, say- last 5 years.

12. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

lol

Gotta have money to make money!!

Make the rich richer and the poor poorer!!

Makes sense to me to discriminate against the unemployed!  What an idiot for being unemployed to begin with!! lol 

hmm  Really??

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

Looks like those ads are disappearing fast! CYA at its best. lol

One company is now even advertising, “Attention Unemployed! …We will hire you…”

14. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Chief amongst them Starbucks and, I think, Nordstroms. Can't remember. But came across quite a few of them about a year ago.

Thank you! I'll try to confirm. smile

15. paradigmsearch profile image60

DAMN! The comments count in that article dropped from 4229 to 3123. And it’s now closed. I bet those 1000+ entries were the ones that named names.

Onward to Google cache… smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

16. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

It doesn't surprise me at all. It's been a common practice in business as far back as I can remember, and that's pretty far back. The employeed job seekers are always preferred by employers over the unemployeed.  It's so prevalent that many states give tax credits to businesses as incentives to hire unemployeed workers over employeed ones.

You are 100% right.

And they are apparently so blatant about it these days that I want to name names.

17. paradigmsearch profile image60

I may have to abort this project. I’m only finding ads from little companies that no one would care about.

I am now seeking advice as to search techniques. smile

My dialup account is killing me as usual, so any direct text-only-non-live culprit ad links would also be appreciated.

18. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think some businesses still equate 'unemployed' with the stereotypical unemployed person from decades ago. The newly unemployed are very often skilled, educated workers who are working just as hard to find employment.
    Those that oppose unemployment benefit extensions are the very people that should be hiring, (and they are often business owners), but it doesn't appear to be so. It looks more like a political statement to me, but I'll leave it at that since this is in a different topic category. To equate unemployed workers with laziness is just absurd. There are many lazy, unqualified, employed people! Look around. Companies should be more interested in hiring the right person, not whether they're an unemployed worker. If a worker is so quick to switch jobs, it might benefit the hiring employer to find out why from the current employer, not the job candidate.

19. Bible Studies profile image64
    Bible Studiesposted 13 years ago

I just been to a mandatory class to relearn job interviewing skills and job searching skills through unemployment.

The lady conducting the class stated that employers are now looking at how long the person has been employed. The length of unemployment is an indicator that the person is less motivated to work.

Not hiring any unemployed people could be the result of the same type of thinking. They may automatically think the employee did something to get fired, or the employee was not good enough to keep their job when lay offs were happening. Either way, I would think this would be discrimination and illegal.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it still seems these companies are only adding to this growing problem, making it even harder for those unemployed to find employment. Don't they see their hypocrisy?

1. Bible Studies profile image64
        Bible Studiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. To them all they see is a huge demand for jobs, and they get to be extremely choosy who they hire.

If the economy ever turned around, and there were more jobs than employees, then they would stop this practice, give more benefits, raise the wages, and do what they could to get the employees they needed. That would only be for the good businesses.

Bull, it's all about control. hmm

20. paradigmsearch profile image60

I know darn well this is an American national bank:

“Interested applicants must be currently employed in the mortgage industry. ...”

Craigslist is loaded with the “must be currently employed” phrase, but they’re all apparently blind ads that don’t reveal the employer.

What to do... What to do... smile

And this is showing up a lot. lol

"This posting has been deleted by its author."

21. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Well good luck with any 'punishment' on that one.  They will wiggle out of it all, isn't that what corporate lawyers are for?  They simply lawyer up and that's that.

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, folks. I’ve come up with a lame list of six. The high profile ads all seem to be gone and not a cache in sight… smile

Hopefully, I’ll find ways to add to this list in the future.
    Here is the EEOC testimony link for any who are interested:

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/meetings/2-16-11/owens.cfm

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that article is very interesting, it should upset a lot of people, rightfully. it's funny how people are so quick to blame the government for no job creation; it appears jobs are there but the unemployed aren't the ones being offered the job. People should boycott these companies blatantly stating a job candidate cannot be unemployed.  Is it any wonder why the economy is in such slow recovery.

It isn't a wonder to me. The government hasn't addressed the Economy as it should, since the inception of America. lol

23. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Essentially, the reasoning behind all this is as follows:

1) People who are out of work are lame ducks. Therefore one doesn't want to employ them.
    2) If people are currently that one is in, then they have a list of contacts and inside information that will be of benefit to the current employer.

The reason that they can get away with this is because there is only one job for every five people that are looking for work in the United States. That means many employees will do anything in order to get a job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)