Vermont approves gay marriage, DC recognizes it, too

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. carpesomediem profile image62
    carpesomediemposted 14 years ago

It's been a busy week for gay marriage supporters, first Iowa took the step in the right direction and now this morning, Vermont followed suit.  DC also voted to recognize gay marriage from other states within the last few hours.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Meanwhile, back in retarded California...

carpesomediemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, right?  It blows my mind that states like California can't get the measure passed... But it's only a matter of time.

3. rlakies profile image59
    rlakiesposted 14 years ago

Eh i really dont care but from a scientific stand point it is considered wrong.  We are here to procreate a man and a man can not do that alone.  But if gay people want to lose 50% too works for me!

Love is love is love.  Gays can have kids, too.  It may not work the way a man and a woman do it, but there's a lot of kids out there that need homes just as bad as the ones that are made from scratch.

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

OHHH, my head hurts so bad when I read stuff like the just above...

Otherwise, we're talking about a human rights revolution, folks!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm not gay but I never had children. Does that make me less of a person?

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Well if you are less of a person, then so am I, Uninvited.  smile

Like I said, a headache.

7. profile image0
    Direxmdposted 14 years ago

Being a 10th amendment guy--I respect states to choose either side of the issue here.  I completely respect if Utah is not comfy with same-sex marriages, and I completely respect if Vermont legalizes same-sex marriages.

I really don't care which way the state goes--as long as there is a place for both respective sides to live peacefully (if they choose to be separated), and that they respect and don't slaughter each other.

On that note, I don't feel that either side has a god-given path to legality or illegality on the issue--that one side will eventually conquer.  Start spewing that garbage out, and your credibility will surely devalue.

As said before, my primary choice is taking the term "marriage" out of the whole equation.  Civil unions for both--take it to your religious institution if you want the marriage badge, heterosexual or homosexual smile

I couldn't have said it better myself.

2. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this too.

And the "marriage is for procreation" argument is such complete BS. My widowed grandfather remarried last year at 79 - should he be prevented from doing so because he and his wife will never have children? Should couples who are infertile or who simply don't want children be prevented from getting married?

8. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I have to agree as well.  Civil Unions for all and allow those who want a religious "marriage" have theirs according to their own beliefs.

What bothers me about this issue is how far the anti-gay marriage supporters have gone.  In California during the last elections, they ran ads stating how if allowed it will harm children because they will have to "watch gay marriage."  Sincere belief is one thing, dirty ads like that are another.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)