What are the pros and con’s of printing your original art work

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 13 years ago

Ever since Andy Warhol (he called himself a con artist) has turn much of our art world into print art world. Many great artists have also turn to printing their own ART works.

Do you think there is more con’s in prints and it harms the artist integrity, or do you think there more pro’s to selling your fine art work in print on the web?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
      DonnaCSmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The pro is it makes the art available to more people, who otherwise could not afford it. And generates more income for the artist.

Online selling/promoting is the way of the future in arts of all kinds - writers, visual artists, and musicians. I don't think there is any turning back.

Con - that the art isn't just for the elite. But is that a con or a pro? And there is always the original piece to make those folks happy;o)

Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is another way of looking at it; you are spreading more happiness rather than acting like a pre-Madonna. My daughter (artist) is more pre Madonna than I am yet I think her mind is changing.

What about rip off companies talking your stuff and selling it better than you without your consent?

That would be a con for sure. I always use a very low resolution when I put my photographs online so they are not usable as prints. You can sign them, too, which helps.

DonnaCSmith

If they are in very low resolution , would that not harm in your over all sales?

What do you mean? I have the originals when someone wants a print.

I assume you sell your work as art photograph; my work has lot of details to follow and need full impact.

If I were to show my art work with poor lighting to take one example, I would have fewer sales. By over protecting myself with low resolution, it could harm my sales?

NO, low resolution is not low light. it has to do with the no. of pixals. I assume you'd scan your art work and when you can it you scan it at full res. then make a copy in your computer at low res. for putting it online. It someone tried printing it out large enough to use it would be fuzzy or "pixilated."

Many artists I know show their art on their websites or on Facebook this way.

I guess your photo dose not use that much online, yet it dose when someone tries to blow it up to print, make sense

Thanks

2. profile image0
    Charlinexposted 13 years ago

If I sell my work, I always go to a high quality commercial printer so my buyers can get the best and long-lasting professional quality of my images. If you have the professional quality printing equipment and you are skilled in printing, it's nothing wrong to print your own.

From checking out your hubs, you know your Photography,
      I know my art work is great but just starting out in prints. A commercial printer sound too expensive to just test a new learning curve business out.

What does a good commercial printer cost anyways?

I have my prints made at Mpix.com. But now I am experimenting with some mixed medium, using my photos, scanner and printer, some collage. So, I am doing that all on my home equipment.

What kind of prints do you want to do? Do some Google searches and you can get an idea of prices.

2. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two things spring to mind reading your thread here.

First - putting up low resolution images stops copying - showing some detail in high resolution in company with the whole pic might overcome the "will they buy if they can't see the quality" issue.

Second - there are poster print places in most big shopping malls now - can't you make some kind of deal with them where you sell your work to someone and give them a code - and then print your pic through the poster printers computer without leaving the image file on their computer ?? - ie some kind of online printdirect feed ?

Just thinking smile

3. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

There is an easy way to stop someone from scamming your art work. Make copies of your artwork, or the original, and sign and date them, and then mail them to yourself, or have them date stamped. But don't open it!
    You can also keep a dated photo-log of your work, and keep it in a safe place.

That way if someone tries to steal your work, you have evidence that it is yours, in case you decide to sue the thief. That is something I learned at an actor/director seminar. Always date your work.

I've heard that in reference to writing, but had not though of it for art. Although, it seems if you have the original that's proof enough. And for my photos they are on my memory cards and in my computer.

As for putting work online you can sign it, and use a low resolution so if they try to print them they will be pixelated.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Some good ideas guys. I would avoid lawyers, you rarely you win.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)