blaspheme against the Holy Spirit

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (66 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Whikatposted 15 years ago

In the Bible Mark 3:28-29 Jesus says,“Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal damnation". What is blaspheme against the Holy Spirit? What do these versus mean for you?

Sorry for posting this here, but the question was too long apparently, when I tried to post it in the Q&A.

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Its not their fault its called Q&A!

but its not surprising that difficulty with such a minor issue would relate to interest in such an inane biblical question

anything is forgivable but making fun of the invisible god thing - jeez what a screwed up concept, time to go get my 12 guage and ice cream truck..ill repent on sunday

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well the Invisible  Spirit lives in the heart.  You can make fun of the invisible God all you want to but really what your making fun of is people...

it hurts the spirit of the living. You have heard things like, "she is a free spirit" or "that one is a lively spirit" etc... it's part of a person.

1. profile image0
          Whikatposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Sandra for answering the question and giving your thoughts on it.

2. reggieTull profile image60
        reggieTullposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Aside from blasphemies, I have been caught out with Q&A.  I have made requests, obviously short ones, and there seems a fine line to a forum-like question and a hub request.

As for the Holy Spirit - the invisible is the invisible - I try not to pass judgment.  But Language Carries Power.  Just think about how  you feel when you have a good swear - there is power in a bad word or two.  Blaspheme is just plain wrong against another human, animal, place or thing - as for the invisible - just leave it alone.

3. profile image0

Sunforged, I apologize if I somehow offended your higher superior intellect, but instead of condemning the question, why do you not either ignore it or answer it?

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I should have ignored it....but I did kind of answer by paraphrasing and jesting, what are you looking for a list of unpardonable blasphemes against the holy spirit?

1. profile image0

I apologize apparently I asked the question wrong, Let me try it again. If the Holy Spirit lives within us and the bible says that we are forgiven of all our blasphemies against everything except against the Holy Spirit does that mean that if we curse ourselves that we are damned, according the the bible?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Funny. Makes me laugh. So stupid I have a good laugh every time I even hear the word "blaspheme." What a funny concept lol

Thanks for the laugh. I needed cheering up today goddammit.

1. profile image0

Mark, I am so happy and excited that I could make you laugh and cheer you up. By the looks of your angry looking avatar, that is a blessing in itself. At least I did my one good deed for today :-)

2. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You too Mark, what the hell is going on in the world at the moment.  People crying all over the place.  God dammit!  I need a hug.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is crapping on each other to make sure they have enough money to survive. Guess the Holey Spirit has given up on us and decided bank CEO's are the only one's need saving.

Consider yourself well and truly hugged. smile

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Holy spirit is around you ,in you -is you.
      Eternal damnation is coming back to this planet again and again.
      Its similar to Hindu philosophy where the idea is to break the cycle of birth and death and go back home to God- The Holy Spirit where you have come from.
      What is blaspheme against the Holy Spirit? = insult smile
      Yet one can correct himself or herself and be forgiven.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What a load of superstitious nonsense.Mankind is going nowhere as long as this sort of thinking remains.Why not read something else other than what you already believe?

1. mohitmisra profile image61

Was an atheist then got enlightened its called evolution.Have patience you will understand with time.

How arrogant. You do not know my age,experience or knowledge, and seem to be the one lagging behind, about 30 billon years behind.

You just seem like an ignorant ,insulting human with no knowledge.

Day to dawn makes no sense,
              What does we call non sense.

Whats nonsense for you makes perfect sense to me.

1. imadork profile image70
                imadorkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Moh: I hate it when someone argues with logic by soley saying, "That's okay -- you'll understand someday."  Not much of a debate there.  Frankly, it's pathetic. 

Just thought I would throw that out there to you.

If you cannot understand I cannot force you too,its very simple.Trust me with time you will -its life.

OMG!  Debating with an idiot is pointless.  Why bother?

2. earnestshub profile image80

You calling someone ignorant is very funny. I don't mind a discussion, I just don't like loaded questions from fools with an agenda, and you Sir are a fool..

You were unable to understand Whikats question so you called it non sense. I was able to understand his question and answered it. Who is ignorant?

Thats easy to answer. You are. Because you believe in an entity that is both ruthless and insane according to all your own sources.What parts of the Torah Quoran or bible did you miss? That's going to be all the parts with threats and cruelty imposed by your omnipotent omniscient god? You take parables, the words of men, and myths that are sexist, homophobic and insane to be the word of one who is omniscient and then tell me I'm ignorant? I know mud smarter than you!

2. profile image0

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Your comment is interesting, what do you mean by damnation is coming back to this planet again and again?

The Holy Spirit means god or the Light or home.This dimension we are in is actually hell and one of pain and heaven is the Light.
          As long as one has desires he will materialize to fulfill them until you realize the futility of it all.

"I am thy shield an thy exceedingly great reward" The Holy Bible

"When we finally come to our senses we never return to this material world ,this painful playground we mistakenly call home" Krishna Holy Bhagwat Gita.

I am happy to give you  my time as I see a true seeker in you. smile

4. imadork profile image70

What is this -- freakin' Sunday school?

1. profile image0

NO this is not Sunday School Imadork, Just got bored and wanted to get a rise out of some people. Looks like I did a good job! smile
        Some People will comment on anything, even when they do not have a real comment huh imadork? Just think I gave you yet another chance to be rude to somebody today! smile

1. profile image0

Imadork, I asked a religious question on a religious forum. tis not I that needs clarity. If you have no answer. You may try using courtesy and keep your comments to yourself. Thanks :-)

I'll comment on whatever the fuck I want, Jack-Off.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

The Q and A is to ask people to write hubs about certain topics, not for answering questions.

1. profile image0

Thanks univited writer I was aware that Q&A was a request for a hub. I would have liked to see a hub on this particular topic, but I guess since the question was too long I will settle for the abuse here.

3. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

To blaspheme means to speak in an irreverent manner.  Sins will be forgiven if the sinner asks for those sins to be forgiven.  We receive Grace through the Holy Spirit.  Blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven because it is against God seeing the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Holy Trinity.

1. profile image0

Make money I appreciate you taking the time to give your response, but I do ask that you do not add to the bible.
      You stated,"Sins will be forgiven if the sinner asks for those sins to be forgiven." No where in the those two versus does Jesus mention that someone has to ask for any forgiveness.

1. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No not in the verses that you quoted but in John 20:21-23 Jesus says "21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained."

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

LOL

That is not what I look like when I am angry. That is my deadpan look.  smile

Not that I get angry very often. Not worth the effort I have found.

But thanks for the laugh anyway. big_smile

1. profile image0

Your very welcome Mark, I read some of your comments on other topics and they make me laugh, so I am very happy that I can return the favor. Dead pan look eh? smile

5. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 15 years ago

Now I understand why there have been wars in the name of religion.  I think it is us as animals and it has nothing to do with truth.

Jesus was killed for speaking the truth and so were many masters-its a sad cruel world.

2. imadork profile image70

Very true.  More people have died in the name of religion than for any other reason.  Another good reason to do away with religion.

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

and some will actually die of internal bleeding if they don't quit this forum! I come in peace cool

Peace to you. smile

2. Julaha profile image61
        Julahaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I second that.

6. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

After reading all of this, I know why I never come the the religion forum...You would think, with most of you being mature adults, you could have a conversation with a bit of consideration for the others involved.

1. Cris A profile image59
      Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, tell them AMB! cool

2. imadork profile image70

I can be very considerate of others if they actually make a decent argument.  I just have a big problem with people that have the attitude: "You're wrong, I'm right and there is nothing you can say that is worthy of consideration."

Whikat asked an intelligent question and all you did was abuse, nice argument.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I understand your point.  Saying something as trivial, and meaningless as "You will understand in time." is like a parent telling a child that they will understand when they get older.  It doesn't make sense, and if they really wanted them to understand, they would explain it right away.  Saying things like that makes no sense and proves nothing. 

My point was just that so many people get into such a huff over petty, little details, and can't discuss the topic like adults.  They resort to childish statements.  It seems pointless.

1. reggieTull profile image60
          reggieTullposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am in total agreement Anna.  I read this thread last night and just shook my head.  Neither party won in my mind.  Hubbers of belief have every right to express their opinion and let there be a forum for those that want to share and agree.  Of course, as hubbers, we also have the right to make comment, but we should not mock and court aggressive responses.  There is that age old adage - if you do not have anything nice to say - best to say nothing.  I come back to my earlier comment - it is not religion or holy thought that is the issue it is the Ego's of Man (both sexes included here)

2. mohitmisra profile image61

is like a parent telling a child that they will understand when they get older.-Truth  time is a great teacher.

1. profile image0
            nazishnasimposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Mohit, rebuttals seldom convince people. It seems that you are a Muslim. Why not try to prove your point by sharing some recent Islamic discoveries; like how Mecca's physical position is in sync with the 'Golden Ratio'.

Quran says "Mecca is the mother of all cities" , 'Mother' means somebody from whom the future progenies draw their referrence which instigates a question that if Mecca is on time-zero then why Greenwich is set as the referrence for time-zones?

http://vimeo.com/3206907?pg=embed&sec=

1. Paraglider profile image88
              Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because Britain ruled the waves when these things were standardised.

1. Julaha profile image61

Very true.

2. mohitmisra profile image61

No not a Muslim ,father is a Hindu and mother Parsi so I have mixed blood from Indian and Persia-Iran.
              Since you are a Muslim let me show you something more interesting.
              http://find.franklin.com/nav/ca/Spiritu … r/ebooks/0
              1.Holy Bible, King James Version
              2.Ponder Awhile-Mohit.K.Misra
              3.The Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
              4.Holy Bible, New International Version
              5.Holy Bible, King James Version
              6.The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
              7.King James Bible
              8.Geneva Bible Notes
              9.Holy Bible: American Standard
              10.The Qur'an

Ask me questions on God, Allah, The Holy Spirit -enlightenment and not about the synchronization of the Mecca . smile

7. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 15 years ago

Hi people, i think there is no cause for a fight. Jesus loves us all.

8. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 15 years ago

nice...

9. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

I've been weirdly entertained, reading this thread.  Even though I know what it means, I thought the dictionary definition may have something to add to what I know.  It does.  There are a few different definitions, according to Dictionary.com.

The first is "impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things".  With that definition, I'd assume that the Bible verse about the "Holy Spirit" could mean the Mark (of the Bible - not of HubPages  smile  ) thought that doing something like belittling or interfering with things like acts of kindness and caring is unforgivable.   Of course, people who believe in God take their faith really seriously, so "impious" remarks about God can be seen as unforgivable by people who are very religious.

The Judaism definition for it is "an act of cursing or reviling God".  I, personally, think that if there's a God He probably understands the occasional cursing at Him.  Reviling is a pretty unpleasant thing that I suppose someone would consider unforgivable, even if "Holy Spirit" applies the kindness and caring within people.  Somehow I don't think that's what Mark meant at that time.  Not being a Bible scholar, of course, I could be very wrong.

The Theology definition:  "The crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God."  This one's an interesting one, isn't it?    Somehow I'm thinking this could be the one to which Mark was referring.  Again, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not even going to go farther into this one.  I think people get the idea.

The fourth definition:  "irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless"    I can see how Mark may have been thinking in these terms too.  People take the concept of "The Holy Spirit" very seriously.  Stepping back from one's individual beliefs and just considering what "Holy Spirit" can mean, it can apply either to "holy" (good) acts/behavior/thoughts or religious Deity.  Either way, being irreverent or destructive toward things like acts of kindness and caring, or else a Deity could be seen as seriously unforgivable by the people who hold whatever it is sacred/priceless; might be seen by "whoever (people or a Deity) as unforgivable; and generally isn't going to contribute to peace on Earth.  At least, perhaps, according to Mark of The Bible.

If I were to take the liberty of putting my own spin on all this, I'd add that there's "good natured" or "light" irreverence (as when a comedian on tv pokes a little good natured fun at religion or even God) and there's "evil"/vicious irreverence (if someone knocks over headstones in cemetery).  To me, with respect to any "Holy Spirit", I guess I'm just thinking that Mark of The Bible was pointing out that being vicious and evil toward what's kind and good in this world, toward Nature (seen as "God's creation), or toward God, Himself; is unforgivable.  To me, even people who don't believe in God may agree that it's pretty unforgivable to be vicious or malicious toward the truly good/kind people in the world, or Nature.

(In spite of my choosing to respectfully capitalize the initial letters of some words/names that some people believe should be capitalized; believe me, I am an unlikely candidate for attempting to interpret Bible verses.  I just thought the challenge of trying to interpret the verse was a good one.  smile  )

1. Julaha profile image61

Come on, Lisa, don't tell me you are taking this discussion seriously enough to actually look up a dictionary.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)