The Atheists refuse to let go of Christianity’s former dark past

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Mick Menous wrote:

Yet for some reason, non-believers, especially those non-believers in the United States, refuse to let go of Christianity’s former dark past and love to hold a grudge against Christians. They love to live in the past. And their excuse for that is, quote: "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it." While this is indeed logical and true, it does not mean that they should use it to verbally attack innocent Christians about their past mistakes. That's irrational.

Paarsurrey says:

I think what you have stated in the above passage is rational; the present day Christian is not responsible for the wrongs done by their ancestors. Humans being do improve and if they improve that should be appreciated.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/70755?page=2

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll agree on the point of the title alone.

As for myself, I don't argue about Christianity's war-like past. I do point out the fact that all religions have one thing in common and it's that one thing is the doctrines for which each are based.

The base foundation of religion is selfish.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - I agree it is logical and true to remember the past and learn from it instead of pretending believing in Invisible Super Beings does no harm. Lets face it - our past is littered with examples of the destruction religion - along with other types of thinking - has done. We reject these and move forwards - and it has come time to reject the religious nonsense.

Unless perhaps you think we should rekindle Nazism as well? After all - that was a long time ago. Perhaps this time it will be fine? Slavery was good too. Just because there were some bad slave owners - surely this was better than today? I see a lot of religious nuts wanting to go back in time to the good old days of slavery and bible thumping in classrooms.

Dear me. No wonder your religion causes so many fights. sad

3. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

though i don't hold current christians resaposible for past attrocities, i do hold them responsible to never forget what religion has done in the past. the problem is that christians and muslims will state that it was the fault of others who misinterpreted their religious text that cause all the problems but they don't seem to want to help with correcting this. it's like they want to forgive everyone no matter what the person did which in turn gives people in the future the right to do as they please because they will be forgiven.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you to much extent; but I want to submit that the Truthful religion is not responsible for that. Jews; whatever they did in their ancient history; Moses was not responsible for that; unless Moses would have given such a teaching in very unequivocal and straightforward manner.

Christians; whatever atrocities they did in their past history; Jesus was not responsible for that; unless Jesus had given such a teaching in very unequivocal and straightforward manner.

Muslim; whatever they did in their past or they do presently; Quran/Islam/Muhammad likewise is not responsible for that; unless Quran/Islam/Muhammad would have given such a teaching in very unequivocal and straightforward manner.

This point must be understood if we as human beings have to exist on this planet and we want to coexist peacefully; this is era of reconciliation on Truth; rather than to be extinct as a human race.

Thanks for your input

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why the numerous threads on the same theme, that atheists are mean to christians?  Are you christian now instead of 'peaceful muslim'?

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Actually, the statement extends from a dishonest argument. Those who believe this are deluding themselves. We have a collective history. To push the crimes of history on to any group of individuals is to deny your heritage. I doubt the average atheist could provide a copy of a genealogy showing proof they are not descended from christians.

If they can, and also prove they were not descended from a society that participated in armed conflict, oppression, crimes against humanity, the subjugation of women or enslavement of their fellow man over the generations, then they can certainly cast the first stone, so to speak. smile

3. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

On a sad note, it does appear that some outside of christianity believe the christians have turned a blind eye to progress. I find it strange that one of the freest societies in the world (america) has shown an ability to embrace so many peoples of every ethnicity as equal, allowed the advancement of equality for women and fought for human rights  worldwide much more vehemently than many other nations; yet has a large population of those who identify themselves as having been raised in a christian household would be accused of this. It is an unsupportable argument, to say the least.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Christians are well know even today for ignoring the wants and desires of those that don't want them.  It is an accepted and common practice to send missionaries into countries where it is illegal to do so, simply to proselytize.  They are constantly spreading bibles where they are forbidden. 

Nor are Christians alone; there is a constant bombardment of those trying to spread Sharia law in countries where it is illegal, including America.

Religious people everywhere seem to believe that they have the right to force others to their own way of life, and this force can range from simple and seemingly minor law infractions to killing but never seems to just stop.  The mass murders of centuries past have mostly ended(at least for Christian believers) but have simply been modified to more insidious methods.

Is it really that much better to forcibly indoctrinate young children into a lifetime of slavery to religion than it is to simply kill them?  Or to deny them simple, needed medical care like blood transfusions or antibiotics?  Patrick Henry comes to mind...

1. profile image51

I think the religious people should improve in this regard; sometime those who don't believe in a religion also succumb to such things and promote such ideas; they also should improve.

5. dingdondingdon profile image59
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

"Former"? Now, I'm not saying all Christians are to blame for the actions of their brethren, but I'm pretty sure the incessant preaching and cries of "you'll burn in Hell!" most Atheists have experienced, not to mention that whole thing with multiple Popes and priests molesting children, are not in the past. They are very much in the present.

1. profile image51

Sure, the Christians as also other religionists have no right for judging others; only the Creator-God has the right to judge:

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
      [1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
      [1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,

[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … r.php?ch=1

The Christians can only present their stance with reasonable and rational arguments and should not through nasty slogans on others like stones; that is a very inhuman thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)