Should Handgun Permit Holders be allowed to carry on college campuses?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (125 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 13 years ago

Here in Tennessee, crime on and around college campuses has been in news lately. One school, MTSU, had a student murdered by her own roommate. Another student was shot in the hand by a former student during an altercation in the parking lot.

College campus crime is a problem nationwide. The shootings at Virginia Tech is another prime example.

Given what appears to be a rise of crime in and around college campuses, should law-abiding Handgun Carry Permit Holders be allowed to carry their weapon on campus?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not? All the criminals are going to do it anyway.

1. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Given the amount of alcohol on college campuses, what's your opinion with that factored in? Maybe staff only can carry? Everyone with a permit except students maybe.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think Plaxico Burress will be carrying a Glock anytime soon?

Tough laws, effectively enforced are a strong deterrent to illegal gun ownership.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

More guns equals less crime.  Of course that statement should include that said guns be owned by trained and non violent citizens.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Says the spokesman for the most crime ridden country in the first world!

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Most of our "crime" is without a victim, Sir.  We live in a nation with the highest incarceration rate in the world, but this is not because we as a people are more devious - it is because we build prisons at a profit, and the rich prosper from the warehousing of United States Citizens.

Really, murder is a victimless crime!

Sir, I do not understand the way you behave in these forums.  Why is it that you imply ridiculous things into someone's comments?

2. superwags profile image67
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do explain the homocide statistics I posted in my last post?

I apologize, superwags, for being unfamiliar with you or your posts.  Without looking further into it - I would normally account for violence as a product of culture and economics, but mostly societal norms of acceptance. . .that should be unacceptable.

But I can't see any way around the fact that if someone looks like they might be armed - they are less likely to get any hassle from violent thugs.

Unless of course the violent thugs are looking to increase their armoury!

How often do gun stores get robbed during business hours, hmm???

Fear mongering is for the fearful.  You don't have to have a gun to be confident - but projecting fear onto common people and inanimate objects is just silly.

Then stop doing it, right now!

Dude, you always reply with the most off the wall nonsense.  I guess I'd have to understand troll speak to get it.

Tough.

Actually, it's probably as a result of communicating with some people on these forums.

Appologies, I meant to say post, rather than thread.

3. profile image0

As a side note and since I'm getting some postings that are more AT me rather than TO me, I write articles on gun rights locally and, since this is a growing issue nationwide, I thought I would ask the question here on HubPages.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...YES!
      Qwark

5. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

NFW.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

Yes, they should.  I have to keep going back to that whole pesky Second Amendment thing....

Billy, you puzzle me, you are strongly anti abortion and strongly pro gun!

Homicide by gun was about 54,000 in the year 2000, that's 54,000 living breathing and functioning human beings whose lives have been ended and yet you fully support that.

1. profile image0

John,  if more people took their personal protection seriously and legally carried a gun, how many of those 54,000 homicides would have been changed to self defense with the potential murderer being killed instead?

Good question Longhunter.

How many of those 54,000 murders would have been changed to assault  if neither party had been armed?

1. profile image0

That would depend on who was the bigger of the pair or who could run the fastest. Since criminals don't go after bigger people than themselves and are usually armed with at least a knife, I'll stick to carrying my gun.

Do you think that not one of the 54,000 were armed?

1. profile image0

Deleted

What sort of a country are you that sees a need for students attending a place of learning to be armed?
                  Good grief, what possible reason could there be? A bullet to the head for a student late with his assignment?

1. profile image0

Of course not, John, but these students must walk to and from their vehicles or dorms. We recently had a local college put on lock down because of crimes taking place just off campus. It was feared the criminal had gone onto campus. What about the kid who isn't in a building and can't get in one?

To me, college is a place you're suppose to attend to LEARN and in some cases (my son's) piss away a large sum of your parent's money. It shouldn't be a place of crime and fear but it's becoming that. How do we combat the problem?

2. profile image0

Which is what I'm doing. Unfortunately, crime on campuses is a problem. One that I think needs to be addressed before another student gets murdered like the we had happen here.

I don't even know where to start with how wrong that post is!!!

1. profile image0

Ahhhh, come on, Superwags, give it a try. As I've stated this is a debate just starting up here in Tennessee and I'm having a hard time deciding if it's a good or bad idea. In some ways, yes. In others, no. Lets see your opinion. Convince me.

1. recommend1 profile image60
              recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aghhhh come on Longhunter !!  answer my post before you demand others to give their opinion !    What part of semi-literate, gang culture, drunks do you argue against - I got my info about Tennessee Uni from a Tennessee semi-literate drunken student next door - here in China recently !

1. profile image0

Recommend1, as the father of a college student, I lean much more toward students NOT being allowed to carry but for college staff being able to.

What would you say to that?

I suspect I'm not going to convince you and I'll be here a while. A profile pic with a rifle in it isn't of great encouragement!

I'm not an american, I'm a brit. We have ery tight gun laws and can not believe what we see across the pond. I mean, it staggers us!

You are 27 times more likely to be murdered with a gun in the USA than in the UK. 27!

1. profile image0

And you are far less likely to be able to protect yourself from a gun-toting mad man in the UK than here in the USA. Across the pond, we're able to protect ourselves instead of having to wait minutes when seconds count for the police to show up.

As for my profile pic, it's a portrait I did of my son portraying a longhunter, the ones who fought in the colonial militias of the Revolutionary War. The gun he's holding, that you obviously don't like, is a BRITISH-MADE Second Model Brown Bess Musket.

1. superwags profile image67

No, I don't mind a bit... presumably it was made in the 18th century. Just before you precious ammendment was written. Three centuries ago. When people still burned witches, Australia wasn't discovered and Napoleon had just been born.

I don't get your point, people aren't trained to deal with mad men even if they have a gun on them. The police are. In fact this is born out by stats from the US too where the police have killed one person a day on average since 1985 - there are usually 3 fatal police shootings in the UK each year. In fact the police don't carry guns here.

There are around 10,000 gun homocides (excluding the police ones mentoned earlier) each year in the US, last year there were 42 in Britain.

1. profile image0

I'll admit America does have her problems, superwags. Crime is one of it's biggest. However, gun laws such as the ones you have in the UK wouldn't work here. They would only serve to disarm law-abiding citizens, making them a bigger target for an ever increasing criminal element. If our government would do more to fight crime the way it should be fought, I personally would be happy to put away my gun. Not give it up. Just put it away. Until then, I'll carry and, I feel, be safer for it.

2. stclairjack profile image78
                    stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

comparing britain ans the US's crime rate with numbers rather than percentages is a bit assinine.

As you understand it, which of course is not the way legal scholars including those who sit on the Supreme Court understand it.

3. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

No, absolutely not. The USA is mental.

4. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

A Curiousity : Who would be to blame if a physcho-nut job wakes up one day...and decides his life has no meaning...so he must therefore kill alot of young people in the prime of their life...to bring meaning back into his own life or before committing suicide...and then some Law-Abiding Hand Gun Carrying Permit Holder just happens to be in a position to end the phsyco-nut job's rampage. Who is to blame for the tragedy?

1. profile image0

The psycho-nut job, of course. Is it your opinion it would be the "Law-Abiding Hand Gun Carrying Permit Holder?"

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
        manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No...Absolutely Not...But I am sure someone will go off on the Law Abiding citizen...for some irrational reason. That is why I wrote it like that. It wasn't aimed at you. I figured with a name like LongHunter...you would be inclined to have rational thought along the do's and don'ts of of responsible gun ownership.

1. profile image0

Yes, I do have rational thought about the do's and don'ts of responsible gun ownership. I've handled guns all my life. Well, at least the last 42 years of it, anyway.

Unfortunately, this subject has been a tough one for me. In some ways, I do believe HCP holders should be allowed to carry on campus. However, when it comes to alcohol and the amount of it on most campuses, I have a really hard justifying it.

I see your concern.

The citizen would have little to no chance of taking out the psycho.  In most states, no training is required to own a gun.  The overwhelming majority of gun owners have no meaningful experience that would allow them to react correctly to an attack. (shooting a man who is spraying bullets from his Glock 19 is not the same as shooting a stationary paper target).

Police officers who get 100 hours a year of training for such situations miss their targets with 4 out of 5 bullets when they get into an actual battle.

How well do you think Jimmy McDimwit would do?

I totally agree that to take on a psycho nut job firing from a Glock 19...and expecting results with out proper training is a severe disadvantage. But given the situation, where it is you vs. the gun man...I like the odds a whole lot better...then waiting for the police to show up. Did not civilians help take down the Tucson shooter while he was reloading?

How much would their chances have increased with  the ability to neutralize the shooter before he reloads? if it boils down to life and death...there is a huge amount of evidence that has proven what people are able to do in an emergency. Your Heart pumps stronger, your lung capacity increases, adrenaline kicks in, and time even slows down...anything is possible. I like the odds a lot better against a shooter with having a gun, then standing there at his mercy, and preparing to take a round.

Besides....many of these young shooter nut jobs who have been at the College and High School age level...haven't had much training with a weapon either. Some have...like the Sniper back at UT Austin years ago. He was a trained sniper.

5. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

YES!!!!!!! Students would probably shoot professors who give them a bad grade and the way college students party, we all know alcohol and guns are a Good mix!!!!!! 

In Illinois, where I once lived, a guy killed his neighbor with  machete for stealing his lawn ornament, he should have had a gun?  THAT was a good reason?  I'm convinced the world is nuts!

1. profile image0

This is a debate that's beginning here in Tennessee and around the country. Alcohol is very prevalent on college campuses and one of the major reasons that I, a handgun carry permit holder, wrestle with whether or not allowing HCP holder to carry on campus is a good idea.

6. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

What a moronic question. 

Should a bunch of steroid pumped semi-literates who hang out in gangs to protect themselves from each other and think that getting drunk is a 'manly' thing to do - be allowed to carry guns on campus ??   

You are totally bonkers old chap big_smile

1. profile image0

Why, thank you, old boy!!! 

I see you live and work in China. Now there's a really free and open society. I personally would rather live with the threat of crime here in the States and carry a gun legally than live under the rule of a Communist government where your freedoms are what they say they are. But that's just my humble, American opinion.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should be humble with those kind of ideas old boy.  Nobody was talking about China until you thought to bring it up to try and divert attention from your ridiculous comments.  I can't think you actually believe that nonsense you are writing, I guess you are trying to wind us all up on a quiet Thursday huh !

1. profile image0

Not at all, recommend1. This is a debate that's ongoing here in my state and others. I have my pros and cons about it and simply wanted some "constructive" input. Do you have any or just insults, old boy? Convince me.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that precisely the argument for allowing those, whom you pigeon hole, to carry fire arms?  After all, what better way to select these defectives from the gene pool?  Does your characterization of college students include those at Harvard, Columbia and Yale?

7. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Should gun rights groups like the NRA be backing something like this? Hormonal, steroid-using, drunk college students are not a group I would want to promote responsible gun ownership.

8. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Just to lighten this depressingly moronic thread a bit - I couldn't let this typo slip by:

There are around 10,000 gun homocides (excluding the police ones mentoned earlier) each year in the US, last year there were 42 in Britain.

Seems it is terminally dangerous to be gay these days huh !   big_smile

1. profile image0

Seems it is terminally dangerous to be gay these days huh !

WHAT??? Where the hell did "gay" come into this??? Lets try getting back to the 'depressingly moronic thread,' shall we.

HOMOcides.

1. profile image0

Okay. I didn't see the typo before. My bad.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Statistics indicate that 4 people have been murdered with firearms in the U.S. since this thread started.

10. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

Why do I keep writing "homocides"? Something suppressed there somewhere...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Freudian slip

11. ForeclosureDJens profile image59
    ForeclosureDJensposted 13 years ago

personally i think no. there are far too many campus/school shootings that indicate having a handgun on campus is NOT a good idea. i believe too many people have handgun permits as it is. there are police with guns for a reason. it's one thing to have one at your house as protection, but to carry it around with you in public is dangerous and since you aren't trained on how to use it in public like police officers are, there's a greater risk when you're out with it.

1. profile image0

Situation:
      You're in the restroom of a store. As you leave it, you see there's a robbery taking place and he shoots one of the customers. You step back in, knowing the robber saw you.

What would you rather do:
      A. Call the police and hope they get there in time before the robber comes to get you. There's no lock on the door.

B. Draw your gun, call the police, and know that if the robber does come to get you, you can protect yourself.

Also ensuring that if the thief is a better cooler shot than you you're dead?

[the customer was shot for being a have a go hero]

1. profile image0

Wrong, again, John. In answer B the man is on one knee concealed as best he can be with his gun pointed at the door. He's there for the duration. If the thief comes in, man shoots him. If he hears shots in the store, he stays where he is. Why? Because he's not a cop or a hero. It could be SWAT coming in to take down the thief for all he knows. Either way, he just wants to stay alive and is prepared to do so.

Some would ask why the man would not attempt to save the others. Here's why. He has no idea how many there are. He's not a cop. It's not his job. He's just someone who's trained to protect himself and his family, not the general public. Would he regret it. Sure, but he would be alive.

Too many times people who have tried to do the right thing have been sued for doing it because they made some panty-waste liberal cry in the process. Not me. I'll let the cops be the heros and stick to just protecting me and my family.

And then an old woman wanders in looking for the bog and ....bang, you blow her face off.

If you don't mind me saying hunter, this is beginning to sound rather like a fntasy tht you've thought way too long about. This concerns me that you're thinking like this and taking a handgun to do the groceries....

1. profile image0

No, no fantasy, superwags. Just making sure I know how to take care of myself and my family. At least I can. Your government has made sure you can't even from them.

Yes, I do carry when I go to get groceries. I even carry when I go to bank and can legally do so unless there's a sign on the door which they're legally required to post if they don't HCP holders to carry inside. Of course, the thieves have this strange habits of not caring if there's a sign on the door.

Face it. We Americans come from a society where we take care of ourselves and tell the government to get the hell out of the way if they try to do it for us. Well, at least most of us, anyway. Unfortunately, that sometimes requires the use of a gun because the criminals have them and won't give them up without a fight. At least we do have that option and our government hasn't made us defenseless and dependent. Although, there are some maggot politicians who would love to do just that.

Until then, I'll continue to carry everywhere I'm legally allowed and won't go where I'm not. Guess what, that even includes church.

And do you think this is a good state of affairs? I'm not just being anti-american - you get a lot right that we don't - but there seems to be a contradiction in their somewhere. People taking guns to shops and churches cannot be healthy.

I know that you americans are suspicious of having the government seemingly "interfering" in your everyday life. I mean they can't, you don't pay enough tax! But it does have its advantages.

1. profile image0

Is it a good state of affairs, no, of course not. But, it is what it is. I don't think you're being un-American anymore that I'm being anti-British. (If became president, one of the first things I'd do is go to London and humbly ask the Queen for the bust of Sir Winston Churchill back and display it prominently on my desk in the Oval Office.)

Should guns be in church? NO! But neither should there be shootings in them either. My pastor knows I carry in church and he's okay with it. It's concealed so no one sees it.

As for taxes, our president, you know the one who sent the Churchill bust back, is doing his best to tax every penny we have. The oppressiveness of our government is one of the main reasons why so many people went out and bought guns and ammo. Not to take it over but to protect ourselves from it if necessary.

I was completely unaware of the Churchill bust story (half American himself). Wasn't it Churchill who put down the Mau Mau revoluton in Kenya? Maybe that's it!

Having said that, didn't Obama get "snubbed" from the upcoming royal wedding? (god, I sound like a gossip column suddenly).

You've never seen taxes until you get to Europe. There's a thread on here asking for local gas/petrol prices oer gallon; I think it was around $4 in the US; it's over $10 here!

2. I am DB Cooper profile image64
                I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your gunman in the store scenario is not exactly an everyday occurrence.  Robbers usually try to cut down on the hero factor by being as quick as possible. Get the money and get out. They tend to not stick around to shoot all the potential witnesses.

I used to see fights every day in college, usually over really stupid things like cheating girlfriends, scuffed shoes, or someone walking too close to someone else's parked car. The one incident that led to serious injuries involved a guy dancing with the wrong girl at a packed bar and getting put into a coma by her boyfriend's friend. Guns were not allowed at this bar, nor should they be. The place gets too crowded for guns to be effective without putting innocent people at grave risk.

Even if 99% of gun owners are responsible and not quick to reach for their lethal weapon, it's the juiced up minority that worries me on a college campus. I've found that there is a huge difference in maturity levels between a 30-year-old adult and a 20-year-old "young adult" college student.

2. John Holden profile image61

So basically he's hiding and the thieves are unaware of him!

So what's the gun for?

1. profile image0

As stated in the situation above, "You step back in, knowing the robber saw you."

Now do you know what the gun is for?

12. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Yes, the should be armed!

What happens if their professor has a gun and decides to use it when someone gives an incorrect answer?

1. HattieMattieMae profile image61
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just discussed this issue at my college, fortunately even if we have security, they have guns, cameras down every hall etc, if you allow us students to carry that gun, like my professor says, you decide to get pissed off because you get a bad grade, he is dead faster than security can get to us, and we can also be dead as well. It would only make matters worse for those that choose to fly off the handle for what ever reason.

1. profile image0

If you're that stressed over grades, perhaps some time off is needed.

13. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Knew a laundromat owner a long time ago. He found a gang of kids breaking into his change machine and came out from in back with a rifle. They shot him dead. Apparently he wasn't prepared to use it.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image61
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that is the thing I can see carrying a gun in certain locations and towns that are highly dangerous, but there are certain places where a gun doesn't need to be in your purse or back pack in large crowded areas such as schools, churches, stadiums, etc.  It's find if you are in a area that you know you need the protection around your home and someone invades it, or goes on your property, but if you just flat out want to carry a gun just for the sake of carrying one, losing control of your emotions, and out of anger kill someone like gangsters etc, and innocent people get killed, that just isn't right to be going to college, and get shot just because I'm trying to get an education and the person next to me decides they don't like something that was said or done and fire on my instructor and myself.  Doesn't make me safe knowing anyone can carry a gun in my class room and decide to shoot me!

I'm an outsider in all this, but I just think it's ludacris that people would carry guns around every day for the sheer hell of it. I can't understand the US gun laws in general - I understand their worth in the 1770's but surely not now.

I just think of how many road rage incidents I see on my way to work each morning. Would someone having a gun in the car when they lose their heads, or feel threatened by someone else losing thier head be a good idea?!

I've made the point earlier in the thread but there are 10,000 gun homicides each year in the US! 10,000! And because the police are always twitchy as a result; one person a day has died on average since 1985. This has got to be wrong?!

I'm not saying that my own country has all the answers - there are lots of things the US gets right that we get wrong - but last year there were 42 gun deaths in the UK  and 1 person shot by the police.

1. profile image0

Every police officer I've talked to has said they're glad there are HCP holders out there. Not one has told me they don't like it. My son-in-law was the one who suggested I get my carry permit and he's a police officer. Police chiefs may not like HCP holders but they're also beholden to the mayor of their town. They tow the line of the mayor's office so they can keep their jobs.

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

some might argue that we should arm the professors with bazookas.. you know, just to give them the edge in the lecture hall arms race

14. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Never owned a gun myself. The one case where I thought I might feel better having one is out backpacking. Never had a problem but still. And if I lived in an isolated area. I remember the Black Panthers some of these guys carrying guns hanging from their rear view mirrors. Talk about looking for trouble.

15. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

Yeap you are right superwags, one of my good friends brother and another girl at my school were both killed in road rage in michigan without a gun, just think if we do carry the gun too, which we already know gangsters in america do drive by shootings. We seem to think we need guns, and like you said the only purpose we really need one for is if you are hunter of animals. If we got rid of the guns for any other reason why would we need to have a gun in the first place for protection. If it wasn't so easy to get our hands on guns we wouldn't have school shootings, but since everyone in America feels the need to have one in their home, they get stolen, they go killing people on drugs and alcohol, they drive by shooting people over anger and territory such as gangs, children pick them up playing with them shooting each other on accident. We even had one man shoot a kid in my area because the kid went up to his door to apologize for his actions, and the man was so angry at teenagers in the neighborhood ended up killing him out of rage instead of realising the kid wanted to apologize.  Another one in my community two teenagers were looking at a gun, and didn't know it was loaded and he killed his best friend on accident.  A toddler even picked up a hand gun and killed another one. They seem to have to have their guns, because they want to protect themselves.

16. HattieMattieMae profile image61

Oh I don't believe in Guns, but there are some of my fellow Americans that insist they must carry a gun everywhere they go, because somehow the boogey man is going to get them. Rightfully so in some cities like detroit, or cities that are ran down where gangs are, the consensus is protect yourself. Rather than carry a gun, it would be more beneficial to move to another area in America than carry a gun! That is just my opinion. I know my own mother was threatened by one a few months ago because of a lunatic that goes on about having guns! He's a hunter. Just telling you the way they think they need one, but it really just is not necessary.

1. profile image0

Okay, I know it's not polite to ask a woman how old she is but I simply can't help it in this case. How old are you, Hattie?

17. HattieMattieMae profile image61

Oh again the argument about being raped too. lol Well being a girl, I know don't hang out in dark places at night alone. Don't go to bars alone. Don't get drunk or use drugs and end up in places you don't want to be. If you want to protect yourself get smart, avoid certain situations.

18. HattieMattieMae profile image61

Yeah, ha ha, probably why I'm working on moving to the Netherlans with my boyfriend. Just agree with you guys and Europeans on a lot of issues all the way down the line.  He says the same thing in the Netherlands they don't have this issue with guns!  I have hung out with so many other cultures online the last few years I understand that America needs to get a clue. Of course my family has always been military , and i respect it for that reason, but for the last century, our society has really lost it! lol  Even just since my grandfather was younger, they had more morals, values, and ethics than they do at the present moment. I just am being what my grandfather taught me be a true American and be an advocate for causes. He was in wwii in shot in belgium, did a lot for our country, but he would say the same thing in this point in time, the generations from the 60's till now have done a lot of good things, and made a disaster out of many others.  It really is pathetic!

You've chosen a bad time to write that actually, there was a massacre just outside of Utrecht last weekend - five murdered by a nutter with a rifle.

That said, apart from the odd isolated incident, you are 20 times less likely to be murdered with a firearm in Holland.

Holland's a really cool place, you should get yourself there!

19. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

our nation (the US) a whole has become juvinile and impulsive,... untill we grow up as a nation, this will continue to be a problem.

if we dont have guns, we will run each other down with our cars, ... we detroy ourselves each day throuh impulsive childish indulgence,...

i want my gun because its truly part of my heritage where i live, i also want it to protect myself fom childish impulsive idiots..

and i have no qualms wih my ability or willingness to ue it propperly.

1. stclairjack profile image78
      stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it would seem that i should also want a new keyboard in my notebook.

20. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

If the college allows it, yes. If they don't, no.

21. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

In most states that allow conceal/carry permits it would be almost impossible to enforce, except in buildings, and even then signs are insufficient notice.  In my state it requires that the carrier be told, a sign is not enough.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)