What to do when one child naps but the other one doesn't?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 13 years ago

My oldest child (nearly 3) sometimes takes an afternoon nap, sometimes doesn't (when he doesn't nap, he'll happily do about 30 mins quiet time in his room before asking to be out).  My youngest (nearly 1 and a half) takes an afternoon nap every day (about 3 hours). 

Any suggestions of things to do or how to structure the afternoon with my oldest child? (Bearing in mind we can't go out & about because my youngest child is in his crib napping)?

To clarify: I'm not trying to get my older one to nap if he doesn't want to, I'm just trying to make the afternoons fun for us (bearing in mind he is kinda cranky with short attention span when he doesn't nap). I'm open to ideas and I'd especially like to hear from hubbers who have been in a similar situation with one napping child and one who doesn't.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When children are three that's the year they seem to particularly enjoy just being with, and talking to, their mother (or father or grandparent) - just by themselves.  I don't really think you need to structure your afternoon.  I think that just spending time with just him, talking to him, reading a story, letting him help you do something (and talking about it), etc. are pretty much a great way to give him the undivided attention three-year-olds seem to so thrive on.  (Oh - and be ready to answer all the "why" questions, because that's something else three-year-olds specialize in.   smile  I think one reason they do keep asking why every time they get an answer is their way of just keeping a conversation between them and their parent going.

Three-year-olds like to learn how things are done.  (How a table is set.  How laundry is folded.  What time to watch for the mailman or a school bus, etc.)  It's as if it's the year when they specialize in learning "the finer points" of day-to-day living, before they turn four and start focusing more on expanding their world beyond their own home and family.

It's also a great year to sit down with him and color, talk about the colors, sort out colored blocks or crayons, let him help you put toys in one category or another, draw letters or numbers, etc.    If he already has all those kinds of things mastered, go on to the next thing - maybe looking at picture of road signs or looking at appliance signs and talking about what each one says and means and why.  Talking about things like time on the clock, or what dates/days look like on a calendar is the kind of stuff a three-year-old likes to know.  Looking at, caring for plants, and talking about it are things children that age like.  Playing word games,  Thinking up silly things to do and say are fun for a three-old.  Looking at a lot of pictures of something similar and picking out favorites is something children that age like to get "all wrapped up in" when someone else is also offering opinions and talking about what's interesting or nice about one picture of another.  Play games like "see where you can find angles on the furniture" (where things like the seat of a chair and the legs of the chair form angles) can take up a lot of time and help a child that age learn about angles, squares, circles, etc.

If he's in a cranky mood maybe making a "special thing" out of having a quiet snack and glass of milk at the table together (or on a blanket on the floor together).  Setting the table "special" and just for the two of you can make him feel special (and it's still a quiet, non-demanding, thing that might help take some of the edge of being cranky).

There is five years between my eldest son and younger one, and then there's exactly three years between my  younger son and his "little" sister (all three are grown now).  I really think one of the most important things any mother of more than one child can do is capitalize on the time other children are asleep, in preschool, school, etc., and find ways to give the one who isn't asleep, in preschool, etc. that individual, quiet, super-high-quality, time that helps him know he's special enough to get that undivided attention as part of each (or most) days.

Basically, I think, just enjoy him and let him know how much you do enjoy your time with him.  That's kind of the only thing most little kids want and need (for the most part), and that year when they're three is a year when they seem to particularly thrive on, and need, that.   smile

1. profile image0
        Giselle Maineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa HW, thank you so much for this superb answer!  I am glad to have your ideas of afternoon activities to try with my child, and (maybe more importantly), finally understanding what is going on in their little heads when they seem clingy.  Gearing the activities toward spending time together totally makes sense! Thanks to you, I feel confident that my son and I will now be able to have fun in the afternoons even if he has cranky phases.  (In fact, as I write this I almost hope he doesn't nap so that we can try out some of your ideas today... !)

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Take them for a car ride.  That will knock him out. smile

3. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I went through this with my children as well, and because I was a mother who loved her time in the afternoon to get the bulk of her housework done, having a child awake threw a big wrench in those plans and I often didn't seize the opportunity just to be with my child.  I completely agree with Lisa on just learning how to 'be' with your child one on one.

I understand its a bit more difficult with a 3 year old because they do have a short attention span and cranky tendencies in the afternoon, so maybe a movie is a good idea and cuddle up on the couch together.

I have a 3 year old and a 7 and 9 year old and it has taken me all this time, but I have finally learned how to 'be' with my children and to appreciate any time I get with them.  As I'm sure you've noticed, one on one time is different and as they get older, u will notice it more and more.  So take advantage of it now while you have the time smile

4. zob2zob profile image72
    zob2zobposted 13 years ago

I have a three year lod and 14 months, I use the time that the 14 month sleeps to give quality time to the 3 year old who I feel got pushed to the side somewhat after the younger one was born. (Noones fault I know) So its my way of giving something back to balance the scales.
    We bake, play & if she is tired but not sleepy we often what a horse/pony film on the telly (her favorite type of film) & then when she starts to fidget and move off it goes and on to pastures new.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)