Are our deaths already predetermined? Do we all have a 'time to go'?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (32 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image81
    tHErEDpILLposted 12 years ago

Early this morning a young Marine died while crossing the street here in New York City. This tragedy got me thinking, "this kid could have died while serving time overseas in a war torn nation, but instead died on American soil while crossing the street." Was it as religious people say, 'his time to go?'

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If so, by what criteria do religious people use to determine when it is someones "time to go"? God did it?

Was there a hand sent down from god to move the car or bus into the path of the marine? Seems pretty silly. smile

tHErEDpILLposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, I agree with Beelzedad. 

Beelzedad Said:

Was there a hand sent down from god to move the car or bus into the path of the marine? Seems pretty silly.

I say:

And does he help them win Grammies and Oscars?  Those people always thank God.

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only thing in our life that is predetermined is through foresight with regards to self.

Death comes, makes no matter when, how or why. It happens. Accept it and move on.

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the one who is ignorant of his originn pupose and destination, will continue to operate in ignoraance and therefore all this will be unto him as ramdom chaos....
      Not even recognising that he of his own self has predetermined his own death....and to him it also appear as another random event.

But that has knowledge, knows his origin , purpose and destination, and he sees that all thing are perfectly synchronised unto an expected end and stull at the same time reserve the right to manipulate the order of events unto that same predetermined end.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  There is a time appointed unto man to die.    Only God knows when.
      And after that the Judgement....

5. knolyourself profile image59
      knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Obviously it was his time to go and he went. Predetermination negates free will
      which then reduces one to a machine. But I would accept the idea that headquarters reassigned him.

6. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

No, I don't believe the time of one's death is predetermined and I get very frustrated when I hear people say things like "Oh, it was just his time" when they can't accept or reconcile someone's death.

I don't believe in predetermination of any kind. If everything is predetermined, what's the point of getting out of bed in the morning?  Our death and the path of our lives is determined by random events, our free will, and the choices me make, not by some cosmic predeternimation designed by an unexplained, mystical power.

True, I agree.

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That says it all pretty well. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
          dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I vote for that answer as well. Good answer

7. Diane Inside profile image74
      Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

Disturbia, I agree with you, I think we choose for ourselves, and it is hard to justify a child of 5 years old who dies of drowning or some unfortunate event as their time to go.

I do however wonder if people aren't spared who would have died otherwise from some accidents. You wonder how in the world are they still alive. I've seen quite a few of these kinds of things working in a hospital, it's very puzzling. Is it just dumb luck?

I don't know some things we aren't meant to know I guess.

8. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Do you know the Last word a Red-neck says befoe he dies???

Hey Boys, whatch this!!!!!!

I think we all have no clue when it happens at all, never will, unless we are at deaths door in sickness or trama from an accident and we realise there is no cure, then we are genius about it, other wise, no way.

9. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years ago

Pre-determination is necessary to construct a belief in a god, but that argument is probably way beyond the religious types in these threads who appear amazingly ignorant of their own self professed beliefs.

1. Cagsil profile image69

lol lol lol lol lol

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are the 5 laughing faces because you are in agreement and appreciate my acid wit, or because you don't agree with this fundamental reason that religionists try to claim predetermination ?

1. Cagsil profile image69

If I disagreed with you, whenever have you not seen post something. lol

Your statement was so dead on target, I could only laugh. lol

1. earnestshub profile image80

I thought it was spot on as well! lol

2. recommend1 profile image60

Phew! that's ok then big_smile  I thought I was going to have to dig out one of my old lectures on the subject !  and it is too hot and humid here to do any real work big_smile

You do real work? smile
                I just pretend to work, much easier on the body ya know! lol

Well now you are famous and about to explode into celebrity status you won't need to work any more I guess.  Us more humble creatures still have to slave to earn a daily crust.

I thought I had cracked it here when a Chinese lady fronted me in the street outside the Uni here with a mini outburst that was clearly an accolade in Chinese - but my Chinese missus told me later it was more in the lines of "you are the miserable fat foreign b@st@rd who failed my son in oral English last year!"

lol I hate it when people translate stuff, and it means different to what I had thought I heard!

A guy yelled out in traffic the other day in Korean and I could have sworn he said he was once married to my mother, but apparently that wasn't what he meant. smile

2. Cagsil profile image69

Since you find it too much work, I wouldn't want to put you out. lol So, let's agree for once and move on. tongue

I am marking the auspicious occasion of our agreement with another iced coffee break  big_smile

2. tHErEDpILL profile image81

recommend1

I agree with your statement on predetermination.  I think Religious groups rely on too much blind faith to explain questions that can not be answered.  On a side note it is funny to me how all the nonbelievers in these forums have opposition against religion based on 'no proof'.  My question is:  Does seeing something with your eyes necessarily make it proof?  In the court system no matter how much evidence is against a defendant, they still get to go into trial "innocent, until proven guilty."  This is because our eyes and ears do lie, and sometimes it takes a little introspection to determine the truth.

You are mistaken - people, especially me, only argue with religionists who claim they know who and what and when and what god said and what god thinks and that god hates gays.  You know, the out and out morons.

I am more than willing to accept that nobody knows what is unknown, I am also willing to accept that some people believe there is a god out there.

However, the claim that this entity that made and knows everything talks exclusively to embittered old right wing women, racists, warmongers, whoremongers, homophobes and the intellectually challenged is less easy to accept.

I agree

2. tHErEDpILL profile image81

and recommend1,

You are mistaken- I am agreeing with you, maybe I was not clear enough.  Too much "Blind faith" implies throwing all logic out the window and following the words of these old right wing women, racists, warmongers, whoremongers, homophobes and the intellectually challenged people.  A charismatic anarchist can lead most of humanity over a ledge into the pits of death, given the mind state of the masses at the time.  Even the smartest people seem to ride the coat tails of people who impress them with their intelligence or present their opinions in a manner that they relate to.  "Band wagon Brainiacs" I call them, and it seems like we have many of them in these forums from what I have observed.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Pretty much. But, if you're the only one who sees it, then it falls into a questionable category.

Or, just add more sets of eyes and ears to confirm. smile

10. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

predetermination is a protestant fallacy. It has been one of the single most damaging concepts to the face of Christianity.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Really? Seems more like the atrocities carried out by its followers in the name of Christianity were the most damaging. smile

1. lizzieBoo profile image60
          lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I mean predestination, not predeterminism. Predestination is a protestant fallacy. Predeterminism is about cause and effect.
          But yes, really. The most enduringly damaging thing done to Christianity has been the contortion of its doctrine. If you look at British history, you will see that the most serious crimes have occured since the reformation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)