Protest broken up with rubber bullets and tear gas. news censored

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Approximately an hour ago, hundreds of Oakland police officers raided the camp. Dressed in riot gear, the police used rubber bullets, flash grenades, and gas canisters to forcibly evict and/or arrest the demonstrators who remained in the plaza.

http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/1 … y-oakland/

This is happening all over the States and the world - And not one item of news on the mainstream sites that I use !!   Where are all those people who scream like stuck pigs at these issues in other countries but are afraid to speak out about your own censorship and the demolition of your own freedom of speech and the abuses of your own human rights.

HYPOCRITICAL sheep.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although I live in the USA nowadays, I still read a lot of the UK media and it is being reported over there.  Not in the mainstream US media though. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/20 … tests-live

recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

An online blog is not main stream media I think.  Mainline is like the constant TV images of the miners strike where events were heavily weighted to the view of an embattled police with out of control demonstrators, but reported at least.  News at Ten ?  Headlines every day about abuse of human rights as protesters are rubber bulleted gassed etc ?  I don't think so, even my online Yahoo news has not one single item about it on the first page.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It certainly looks like the Oakland police were being very heavyhanded.  But difficult to tell in the immediate aftermath.  The truth will out, I'm sure.

recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is already out. There are a clutch of videos on the website, the problem is that where will it 'out' except on websites and blogs ?  If our owners don't allow it on mainstream TV and news then where will it 'out'?

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
              Petra Vlahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The media is controled by big money, so no wonder they will not go against the ones that own them. The hypocrisy of the "democratic" system just reached new hights with the police brutality in Okland and Atlanta - the worse may be yet to come

1. Jed Fisher profile image68
                Jed Fisherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Too true. For those paying attention to the mainline TV reports, little details came out at first but were quickly expunged from the reports.
                Particularly for the Oakland protests, the city cited problems with hygene. Trash and human wastes in particular. The police chief pointed out they had contengency plans for long-term public gatherings that included the deployment of port-a-potties, trash dumpsters and healthcare aid stations for basic medical care. The next day that police chief resigned and the interim, acting police chief launced the assalult soon after.
                A city official from the budget office, the day prior to the assault, scoffed at rumors the police might use force, saying it would be a lot less expensive to provide basic hygene and health services, and it would be a good reharseal exercise for the city's natural disaster contengency plans to go ahead and provide basic services to the protestors. (Police over-time pay, tear gas, flash bombs and bean-bag bullets are not cheap)
                But then, the next day, the assault began.
                I suppose, in about six months to a year, we'll see news stories about how Oakland is experinceing a budget crisis because it can't pay all the civil rights lawsuits filed against it. But the Supreme Court will take care of that problem by ruling that speech by people is not speech...

2. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Guardian is one of the biggest circulation newspapers in the UK, so it would have been printed in the paper version as well.

It was also in The Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … otest.html

and all the mainstream papers over here.

Also made it on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15481506

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I was watching it last night on streaming media.  Interesting experience.

3. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

Protesting in Oakland, yeah that was gonna go over in a peaceful and productive manner.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Dan Rather did a report on it. My husband recorded it,  I haven't had a chance to see his take, compared to the live footage available online. We are moving into some dangerous territory. I think every police action will cause the numbers of protestors to mushroom when they regroup. I hope, anyway.

5. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I was around during the Vietnam war protests. I am a long way from sure, but I'm beginning to wonder if history is about to do another repeat.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)