Would like advice from both men and women about this topic ,thanks.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image52
    unsettledwifeposted 12 years ago

Hi,I'm new here and have been e-mailed saying my post was in the wrong place,so thanks for those who replied but they were deleted before I was able to read them.
    Anyway here is my problem.My husband was not over his ex when we met.I didn't know this at the time,when our son was a toddler I found him crying over her.We parted and got back together.He said it was because she was his first love and the only one he had slept with.Many years have passed,it's over 20 since we met. Yet I still feel threatened by this woman.My husbands mates still speak of her to my husband,in front of me.One even said to me that she was the one my husband wanted.His family have this impression too, which makes me feel second best.My husbands sister is best friends with her, and I don't like the fact that she gets informed of all aspects of our lives, right down to us moving house ect.
    My husband said during an argument that he had spoken with his ex in the supermarket and she had invited him to her home.He asked if her husband would mind! No thought to my feelings,when I mentioned this he said it meant the same,and  that people would talk if he were seen going to her home!
    I have discovered she is now divorced.My husband and I have been going through a rough patch in our marriage and of course she will now about this, via his sister.Despite being better looking,having a better figure and being smarter than this woman I feel threatened because I know my husband couldn't get over her for ages.They had parted two years before he met me.What should I do?
    I also dread bumping into this woman when I am with my husband.She has moved nearer us, so this is a possibility now.I fear being made to look a fool with her humiliating me by hugging my husband or saying something like "we go back a long way"or just humiliating me.It doesn't help the matter by her knowing how she hurt my husband and how we split up over him still wanting her,thanks of his sister!What do I do? Thanks

2. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

If he said that he was invited to her house during the course of an argument then he was probably trying to exacerbate your jealousy, if something more sinister were truly going on, he would have omitted planting that seed of doubt any further (in my opinion).

As a free-man, your jealousy or your words will not stop him from meeting with her if he truly wants to (he'll find a way). I would simply and starkly let him know that such an event would be go a long way in denting trust between you both. Familiarity often breeds content, and despite the fact that you know your worth, he may take you for granted. Showing him that you CAN live without him, and that any indication of cheating will result in precisely that may be enough for him to reconsider his dance with the devil.

I like the way you are proud of yourself, and have a handle on your self-esteem. Good for you!

3. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Unsettled wife,
    I really feel for you in this situation. I'm sorry. I would suggest that you both seek a neutral family counsellor who will facillitate an open dicussion on this issue.
    I would suggest that he or she meet w/ each of you individually first. Good luck!

1. tamron profile image66
      tamronposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was in a simulur situation exsept me and his exed got a long.  I told him to go wither her and see what happens.  I was hurt but I just let him go he was gone that night the phone rang and he wanted to come home, So if anything at all was true he will be back!

4. profile image49
    goldengirl88posted 12 years ago

She was his first love, which meant yeah he had a hard time letting her go i dont see anything wrong with that, for some of us the first cut is the deepest:), it does not mean he loves you any less! It sounds like you are insercure and dont trust him, but he has not given you any reason to doubt his honesty he told you about seeing her in the supermarket and how she asked him back to her house. I think because of his families love for her, and his you have attached a real stigma to her, and that one day he is just going to leave you for her. I think for too long you have let this woman get in the way of your relationship, this woman is obviously an important woman in his life, but they broke up for a reason no matter how much it broke his heart, he is with you! dont let her have anymore power in your lives then she already has, as by your onsession with her she is and has obviously droven a huge wedge between the two of you.

sorry for long reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)