What age did you realise Noahs ark was a fairytale?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

How old were you when you realised that the Noahs ark story was a chidish fairytale?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

uh oh... hmm here it comes......
      prepare for battle!
      yikes

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
        Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can almost imagine Heath Ledger when he played the joker in "The Dark Knight" saying, "And here, we go..."  Right before a building blew up in the film.  Something tells me we're about to see a similar explosion in this forum.

3. pedrog profile image61
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5954966_f248.jpg

Aliens of course, you should educate yourself...

And there were two arks, the one with the dinossours didn't survive sad

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. rbe0 profile image60
        rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hey pedrog stop kissing
        http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5947002_f248.jpg
        keke

1. pedrog profile image61

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5961184_f248.jpg

My case is solid tongue

1. Claire Evans profile image62
            Claire Evansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!!

4. rbe0 profile image60
      rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I realized this when I was ~ years old.

5. cobrien profile image60
      cobrienposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't the history channel do a documentary on the discovery of Noah's Ark?

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, they did a documentary about finding some old wood that might have been a boat at one time.

6. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A fairytale? Although Discovered. Mmmmmmm....

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

What!!??!! It's not true?

But it's in the bible. So it MUST be true...

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I discovered that floods don't really happen and the idea of building a boat is pure fantasy. Isn't it more likely that the tale grew from the retelling of it? Gigamesh is supposed to be about the same occurrence. In other areas, that would be considered a confirmation of the core of the tale. In GRADE school, the teacher had a child whisper a message in the next child's ear. Each did that in turn until every child had been passed the message. The last kid was asked to repeat what they had been told, but the original message was gone. Ever notice how the "fish" gets bigger everytime it's capture is retold? Same thing here...you really need to get out more.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now THAT is true...

http://www.wichita.gov/Includes/Section/Images/Religion.jpg

RELIGION IS OUR FRIEND!!!

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL you reminded me of a news report I saw. A couple of hillbillies were visiting the brand new creation museum on its opening day.You could see the excitement in their eyes.

One fat lady said, as she walked in, "I always knew the bible was true, Now we have proof!"

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

lol...

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Bait.

This reminds me of a hissy fit my children used to throw.

They would get their hands smacked for being wrong in there actions... and then stomp and cry and rant all kinds of shit just to get a reaction.

LOl... ohh you are a funny one.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Age seven

Because I had a mini zoo in our basement and charged the neighborhood kids 2 cent each  to visit. it was too much hard work. Can't imagine a whole world full of millions of species on one small boat for 40 days Taken care of by a 600 year old man  named Noah

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image84
        Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Age 5 "But how can an old man know how to build a giant boat and look after every animal for months!?"

4. profile image52
    ilanbposted 12 years ago

Why do you think it was a fairy tale? Why do the Chinese have similar stories and the ancient South American Indians? Are they fundamentalist bible thumpers when they say their ancestors passed down stories of a great flood and the building of a boat. Why do most cultures have a catastrophic flood story with a few surviving? Some vast right wing Conspiracy?

The Coelecanth fish was supposed to have been extinct since the cretaceous period  yet our neighbors on the African Coast, South Africa, Madagascar etc have been pulling these "extinct" six finned fish out of the water for as far they could remember, good thing they weren't scientists  ehhhh, they would have been fishing at all and could continue in their evolution of self deception.

How bout Mokele Membe- our cousins in the Congo describe as an apparent Brontosaurus. They are not scientists, they don't need to go begging for research grants. They see something that hasn't been identified. The Congo is beautifull, must have been a lot like Eden was before the fall. These arent drunkards or reality show morons. They insist theres something there unusual enough to make them want to tell the outside world. They dont get money for their presentations. These are honest forest people, like the Indians who gave us the story of Sasquatch.  Everyday new species once thought extinc have reappeared. Oh and those drunken sailors and their giant squid tales concocted out of a rum soaked voyage until we started catching them, we assumed they were there fighting not to get eaten by Sperm Whales who could reach their depth but we really didnt know because they always stayed at way low depths that would crush a sub. But now we do. Oh yes Noahs ark is easy compared to the unbeleivable wonders we have in our world today and those still awaiting discovery.

1. mikelong profile image61
      mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People who live around rivers tend to have these stories.... Rivers flood over their banks, especially after a heavy winter, and especially in places like Mesopotamia (where the rivers are above ground level)flood stories are of no surprise. For the Israelites, however, they didn't have the same geography...but they were saddled between Egypt and their flood stories (and they were captive in Egypt) and the Mesopotamians and their flood stories (and they were captive in Babylon)....  So, they borrow stories from the people around them....

2. pedrog profile image61

In Apollo 11 the people they met on the moon told exactly the same story, it must be truth...

5. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

amazingly noah's ark is in all three biggest religions that is islam,christianity and hinduism....guess famine was real and it stayed with human minds and then came the story...

6. JBBlack profile image61
    JBBlackposted 12 years ago

I was watching a program called 'Ancient Aliens,' or maybe it was some other such nonsense, on my roku device and one episode offered significant support for the flood.  Round 30,000 years ago sea levels were much lower and, much of what is now the mediterranean sea was habitable land.  The evidence of this is certain megolithic structures under the water.  There are also some off the coast of asia somewhere.  Been a few months, sorry.  Anyhow the epidose detailed the technical impossibilites of constructing the megalithic structures without the help of Aliens and Altantis and other blah blah stuff. 

Anyhow, if at some point in early human history, there was a time when there was rapid defrosting at the poles, there could have been mass flooding world-wide.  I do believe that there is scientic evidence or theory that does indicate that there has been a defrost since 30k years past.  If it was a sudden process, then yes such a castastrophic event would have made it into the oral histories of peoples, which always have a fable/fairytale ring to them.

7. Claire Evans profile image62
    Claire Evansposted 12 years ago

I like the theory that Noah's Ark was an ancient seed bank.

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image84
      Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah that's my favourite part of the Bible!
      "And Noah was able to use gel electrophoresis to isolate and then preserve DNA of all species on earth".

Unless you mean aliens, at which point all religions go bye bye sad

1. Claire Evans profile image62
        Claire Evansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the book of Enoch, it is insinuated that Noah isn't quite human.  A drunk of an alien, I suppose.  I don't think it debunks all religion.  In fact, it seems to corroborate Genesis.  Remember the verse that says, "And let US make man in our image"? I see that as genetically modifying man as God created.

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

What age did you realise Noahs ark was a fairytale?

Is it odd to own an ark by a human?

1. profile image49
      Jesus was a hippoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is when the owner is said to be 600 years old, that the ark was big enough to house thousands and thousands of animals that he had to collect from all over the world and enough food to feed them all for 40 days while enough water to cover the highest mountain appeared from nowhere which would have killed most of the vegetation on the planet leaving silt deposits all over meaning when the flood water dissappeared again there was no food for anyone to eat but they survived anyway and re-populated the entire earth in 4500 years.

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you have no objection of Noah owning an ark; your objection is to its mythical account given by the Bible; it is the habit of the scribes to exaggerate things.

1. profile image49
          Jesus was a hippoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll say

2. Pcunix profile image92
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At what point does exaggeration become a lie?

1. profile image50
            paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is your own view on it?

To me it exaggeration is a  sort of untruth.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70

exactly....

9. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I thought ALL religious tales were just silly stories until one day when I suddenly realized that the man up front was truly trying to sell this lunacy as truth.  It frightened me and I looked around the church and saw that people were nodding their heads in agreement and that  really astonished me.  I  thought 'What is wrong with these people?" and that question remains in my mind almost sixty years later.

10. LisaRene Burt profile image60
    LisaRene Burtposted 12 years ago

i was about 5 when I decided that the bible and the catholic religion as a whole was all a farce.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

all religions are attempt to answer questions...but it has less to do with divine and more to do with human being's attempt...

11. BfoBarney profile image60
    BfoBarneyposted 12 years ago

When I first heard it as a kid I thought it was a fairy tale, it was only a few years later when I realised it was actually in the bible. Made me doubt my beliefs thats for sure...

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was Noah's flood story fiction or fact?

The ark took about 120 years to build. Noah was 480 years old and over 9 feet tall. when he began the work and he had the help of his wife, three sons, and his son's wives and his Father who lived to age 969 . 

The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high that house Mammals.3,700. Birds  8,600  Reptiles.6,300 Amphibian 2,500 insects 850,000 including termites on the ark and the carnivores were not allowed to harm any of their ship mates So lion were very nice to Zebras and shared their vegetables. Arctic animal had to sweat it out. Fish and other marine life must have not survive the mix of salt and fresh water. The prehistoric animal and dinosaurs that must of drowned,

What about the Unknown 350,000 species fungal not mention. Did ,Noah know it was illegal to carry cannabis seeds on his trip.?  Noah must have transplant Plants and trees from all over the world when they had landed

The "earth" in Genesis 7:17-18 refers to the ground/land in the flooded region. Any mention of this entire planet or about the 20 million people that still living on earth right after the flood?

Fact or fiction?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)