Why Are Religious-Themed Movies Inaccurate?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I'm crazy about movies. Pure and simple. I feel sorry for myself, no kidding. But here's the thing though. Take a guy like me, who's overly mad about movies and all, especially religious themed ones, and you'll find that half the time, I'm just content watching it, even if the religious content in it is inaccurate as hell. Take a movie like Constantine, great movie, great directing by one of my favorites, Francis Lawrence, but the movie just doesn't make any real sense if you really think about it. From Gabriel being a woman, to her losing her wings and swearing and all. But I like the way they depicted the Devil, and how time freezes in transition between dimensions - my very thoughts exactly. But the point still is, religious-themed movies hardly ever make any real sense. What do you think, people?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's all up for interpretation.  I don't believe the movie Constantine was religious themed it was comic themed with religious and supernatural characterizations.

Also, there are many people that believe that the Archangel Gabriel has no gender and that Tilda Swinton was the perfect choice to play that character.  I personaly enjoyed it.

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

All the Nigerian people I know seem to the love the bible, and know it very well, do you read it a lot in school...

Lots of films bible based would irritate people who really have deep affection for the bible as they are not accurate on the  whole....

Everyone seems to like life of Brian and thinks it is really funny....
    I think people generally just think the bible is an old book and dont really think it is important about accuracy......
    I am extremely old fashioned when it comes to respect, but I know that is just me, and everyone has their own opinions.... You can chose not to watch films that offend eh???????
    HOPE that answers your question fieryci

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not offended or anything by such movies. Unless it gets blasphemous - then it can really tick me off. Go watch the movie Gabriel. Complete and utter rubbish!

3. profile image0

Is it....... do you all get taught the bible at school, and do most Nigerians have a faith???????  In England a lot of people are not really interested at all in the bible.  Here in Ireland more so, but there are lots of schools springing up that are non catholic now, as we have so many different cultures just moved over...

1. profile image0

In the West, East and South, everyone gets taught the Bible at Kindergaten, Elementary and High School levels. In the north, its the Quran. Yes, most Nigerians do have faith. Even most Nigerian atheists hide it pretty well. They go to Church and all. Its still pretty much an alien concept - atheism, that is.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting. atheism requires the ability to think for yourself. Teaching the bible in kindergarten is how you persuade children not to do that. Say hi to your atheist friends for me and tell them I admire them and know what a struggle it is to break free from this sort of indoctrination.

As to your original question:

Of course religious themed movies don't make any sense because religions don't make any sense. wink

1. dishyum profile image57
          dishyumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You said it well lol

1. open-minded profile image60
            open-mindedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my thoughts exactly

2. profile image0

Your opinion, Mark. And I'll say hi to the atheists for you. I'm sure they'll appreciate that.

4. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Can you just say "different" instead of "inaccurate"? By using the former means that what a "religious-themed" movie preaches is not what you subscribe to. But using inaccurate connotes you know all the absolutes and the facts relating to religion. cool

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate to do this, but I have to disagree there.
      The bible is a book, so if a film is supposed to be aboout the book, but it is mis quoted then it is inaccurate......

1. Cris A profile image58
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL But we're just having a discussion is all. No worries cool

I think the thread was about the depiction of the bible and not misquoting passges and verses from the bible. Or am I mistaken?

1. profile image0

Yes, you're right. It is about depiction. But depiction of a Bible based movie should obviously be based on the passages and verses of THE Bible.

But we're talking about feature films and not documentary films are we not?

2. profile image0

Not really. I just think if you're gonna talk about I dont know, say Gabriel, you should attempt to connote the quality of the angel based on the tradition from whence it is hewed, and stay true to it. That's all.

5. profile image0

As far as understood this is about films...... religious films

Should they be accurate or not???????

6. profile image0

We all thought we were safe to have this discussion.... Thought Friday was your lie in day...

7. profile image0

You were not asking me but I dont know as I dont watch bible based films as it upsets me when they are not accurate......... dont know whether the one he was talking about was a documentary or what......

LOL okay, i'm getting out of here. siesta time! my clock says it's 4pm (since you asked) see ya later Irish Rose cool

8. profile image0

My thoughts exactly getting outa here too........ 4p.m. it's 8.51 a.m. here too early to get into an argument with anyone, it would ruin my day

9. profile image0

Hi Fierycj How ya doing, we did not get too far on this one did we.........

Want to ask you something about the animals in Africa, so I will meet ya on the end of my poem and I will tell you what I am after.

Anyone got any opinions on Religious Themed Movies..

1. profile image0

Alright, my lady.

10. profile image0

open minded i have just become your fan too, we will or I will have to find something else to agree on,,,,,,,

11. Dignifyde profile image60
    Dignifydeposted 14 years ago

Religious themed movies are inaccurate for the simple reason, THEY ARE MOVIES.

and

With so many interpretations of any religious writing, who can say what is accurate?

12. profile image0

you are right there.  Everytime I get upset about something, not even only religious things, my husband says to me.  It's a film, it is not real.......

nice to meet you Dignifyde, like your name and I will look out for your hubs, I think I like your mind set....

13. profile image0

go to under the same sky, there is a message for yoou , or there will be in a minute....

14. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Hollywood has yet to make a truly accurate movie on any subject. Real life is generally too boring for a movie.  Angels and Demons is a good example.  I wouldn't go comdemning or supporting the Catholic Church based on information from that movie.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)