You are not so clever as you think

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Disappearinghead profile image59
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Why is it that the workings of the brain, the organs, the immune system, and all those processes that keep us alive, show more intelligence than the consciousness that inhabits?

Given that by observation of the natural world and the cosmos we observe things that we could never have invented, is it any wonder that man created religion in an attempt to explain it all?

Come on people don't be so harsh on those that have a faith. It's one thing to be able to explain the universe and origins of life, but quite another to come up with the "designs" in the first place. We might say that "life finds a way to evolve by itself", but why is it so? Why should life "care" that it continues to exist?

God cannot be proven by scientific measure, but for me philosophical arguments make a good case for His existence.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any idea when he is coming back from His vacation?

Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That depends upon the selected religion.

Any of them saying sometime this decade?

Errrr not that I'm aware of.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

All I know is that during my 25 years in Church I was told that God talks to everyone, that is, He came back from holiday 2000 years ago. I've certainly met hundreds of people who think God is talking to them all the time. But if I'm honest I can't recall a single occasion where I have heard God or seen evidence of His involvement in my life. So no I cannot prove God from experience as I'm supposed to be able to according to the Church.

An open, questioning mind is a good thing. I try to practice the same. smile

Me too. smile

2. profile image51
                  paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that you think Jesus to be a god; no, Jesus was neither a god or a son of god.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure, as long as they keep their faith behind closed doors.

That isn't reality, though.

Is it the religion you object to or the actions of its adherents?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Bringing it out in public to evangelize.

Brainwashing children is abuse, which everyone should object.

1. Pcunix profile image89
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It isn't abuse if the kids like it.  Most do, unfortunately.

I agree that it CAN be abuse for some  but I think the principles of freedom of religion force us to look the other  way. 

I would have to see extreme behavior before I'd want to interfere in that area.

2. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ot could be equally valid to say, keep yourself out of earshot.
        Heck, no-one forces you to enter the RELIGION forum.

Stay out. No-one will bother you with it.
        I certainly wouldn't be chasing you down. lol lol lol

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

You have the right to practice your religion, but not when it affects other people. Telling others to just go away when you do affect them is not practicing your religion, it is being  disrespectful of others.

But, I don't think you'll ever understand that.

1. aka-dj profile image64

So, if you don't want to be affected, "go away" lol

We each affect other people irrespective of religion, but you probably don't understand that either. lol

3. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why should life "care" that it continues to exist?

Because the creatures that don't care don't live long enough to reproduce.

As to designs, the designs are often not that good.  Our eyes, for example, are poor design because of our "blind spot".  A squid has a much better design - no blind spot.   I guess your "designer"  forgot that design when he got around to making us quite a few million years later.

4. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you; the Creator God does exist.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Well, I think you scored yourself a reader with this forum post anyway.

3. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

As the old adage states, "I think, therefore I am."

lol
      "I think, and therefore I have thoughts."
      lol

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
        Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I were to mock that, I would say:
        lol
        "You stink, and therefore you have smells."
        lol

But, I'm not in a mocking and jeering mood right now, so congrats on whatever it is that you just said; cheers!

Chill out.
          It was meant to be humorous.
          I thought some others might find it funny. smile

4. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Cultivate a peaceful mind

5. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Why the assumption that there is a design or a plan?

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assume it has something to do with the non-randomness of it all and how we can identify certain laws and properties and the order therin; this most likely takes a slight bit of awareness and scientific discernment, for some, of course.     Then again, if mythical woo-woo has you confused, you can always stumble upon quantum theories of particles that are smaller than an atom, and we all know about how empy space leads to particle-filled madness. Ha! You do the math, and it all makes sense...

6. WD Curry 111 profile image56
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Maybe I can't make a good argument for the existence of God. However, you have provided ample evidence of your unbridled enthusiasm to waste my time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)