Largest natural disaster area in the history of the U.S.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Living Well Now profile image60
    Living Well Nowposted 11 years ago

Most of the corn and soybeans I've seen here in central Indiana is stunted. The corn's tasseled, but ears are small. Grain prices are rising and will continue to rise.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/drou … 6-states//

Is man-made global warming making the probability of extreme weather events like droughts more likely?

1. tmbridgeland profile image81
      tmbridgelandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My guess? I don't think so. The dust bowl ere was worse and went on for several years back in the 1930s. This year's drought isn't as bad yet as 1988. I live in the midwest, and we rural people just assume every decade or so there is going to be a bad drought here. It is bad this year, but not worse than has happened several times in my 50 years.
      Beyond that, my Ag professors warned us that the 20th century was an unusually pacific time weather-wise. They warned us to expect that to change. We are just used to nice weather, because the last 100 years were freakishly good.

Living Well Nowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree there have been worse droughts, but none so large as the current drought we're in. In 2010, records were set all across Russia with high temps and little rainfall. Commodity prices went through the roof due to conditions in Russia, which doesn't produce nearly as much grain as the U.S.

Last year, Texas had a record drought and wildfires. Researchers from the U.S. and Britain (NOAA and AWS - http://www.climatewatch.noaa.gov/articl … highlights) concluded the probability of extreme events like this have increased 20 fold due to manmade global warming. Personally, I like relying on good, old-fashioned data in assessing anything and a 'fat tail' - increase in the probability of an outlier event - is evident.

Normal distribution:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_VgJQTp0Bsf0/TVE5EGKPpMI/AAAAAAAAAM0/a9rA9g4KSP8/warming1.jpg

Right-shifted curve:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_VgJQTp0Bsf0/TVE5t2zfuOI/AAAAAAAAANE/WJ_ljZ0nBwU/warming2.jpg

Notice the increase in area under the tail. That area is 20 times larger due to manmade global warming.

Now take a look at the Russian heat wave of 2010:
        http://www.climatecentral.org/images/sized/images/uploads/gallery/graphic_russiabell_jja_1-660x371.png

Look at where 2010 falls in a normal tail in image above. This summer in the U.S. also falls at the far, far end of a normal tail. It's an anomalous event since it's more -way more - than 3 standard deviations to the right.

Measured temps show the shift across the last 60 years:

http://www.350resources.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Extremeweatherworsethanpredicted.jpg

Finally, what temps might be in 2100 based on current data and fossil fuel use:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6905754_f248.jpg

2. kathyinmn profile image60
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

If you look through earth’s history you will see that it goes through cycles. We have experienced this type of weather before time and time again. When we start going through another “little ice age” will it be mankind’s doing also?
    I think it’s time that human’s start using our head. We can irrigate our crops. Why not, the ancient people did so.  We also have the technology to get fresh water from salt water; there is no reason as to why a company cannot open a distillery in Texas and use the gulf water to help the drought stricken areas in the Midwest. It would create much needed jobs, save our crops and cattle.  Who knows, with the extra water in the atmosphere, it might prevent drought in other areas

1. Farmer Rachel profile image96
      Farmer Rachelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Kathy, irrigation is an important agricultural technology that man has been utilizing for centuries. However, as far as the plants are concerned, there really is no substitution for good rainfall.

3. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

It sure seems like extreme weather events are coming more fast and furious in the last couple of years, doesn't it?
    But regardless, the drought is real and its impact must be mitigated.
    The reality is, even if these extreme conditions have had historial precedents, they have never had historical precedents impacting this many people.

4. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 11 years ago

I agree with tmbridgeland generally - this is natural cycles.  The basic issue is thesame as building in flood plains, you are going to get flooded,  trying to turn grassland into farmland you are ging to get burned.  For me the issue is one of the overwhelming arrogance of man in going against the natural order without completing the science that might make the change possible.  Where is the technology to deal with the drought cycle ??  All I see are bankers getting the land for nothing in a drought and selling it to fools when it is green, over and over again.

5. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

I know that on the subject of tornadoes, the incidence rate isn't increasing and hasn't been for at least the last 100 years.

But, if you just look at a chart of reported tornadoes per year, you see a huge spike in the late 90s(IIRC).

That spike was an increase in the number of reported F1 tornadoes as NWS put in hundreds of new doppler systems. Tiny tornadoes that nobody would report, but were picked up by machines.

F2-F5 tornadoes, have basically been going at the same rate(possibly dropping).

Usually when the media starts reporting that we are setting records, it's more to do with better reporting than any real change. But, their job is to get our attention.

Living Well Nowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Droughts typically don't produce a lot of tornadoes. I'm not sure how tornadoes prove or disprove global warming, since they're isolated events and not weather patterns.

6. knolyourself profile image58
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

There is no global warming. And the drug companies and their handmaidens at the FDA, tell you their drugs are all safe. And then after a while it's too late, for many who develop some fatal side-affect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)