Spineless Pastor Allows Racism to Rule

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/us/missis … ?hpt=us_c2

Instead of standing up to the bigots, he performed the ceremony in a different church!  I thought pastors were supposed to be moral role models.  Racism is alive and well in Mississippi.

Add to this that only 54% of Mississipians tell a pollster they agree with same sex marriage (counting for the social acceptability of interracial marriage nationwide, the number is probably much lower, and only got to 54% because respondents answered how they believed they were supposed to).  A full 29% said it should be ILLEGAL.  http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main … sippi.html

And let's not forget Haley Barbour praising the White Citizen's Council!  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … acism.html

I think they could very well be the worst state in the union.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sooner28, Mississippi is a very strange state.  To make an analogy Mississippi is to Blacks as Poland was to Jews.   Nothing surprises me about the affairs and events of Mississippi.  If I say anything else, I will be.........BANNED from the forums!   Hmmmmmmmmm, I am holding my vituperative and quite venomous tongue!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some doofus was arguing with me that this was a constitutional matter and the church had the right to do whatever they wanted due to freedom of religion...

Well, my respite from the forums didn't last long smile

1. undermyhat profile image60
          undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may very well be a Constitutional right but that doesn't stop it from being racist, stupid, etc....  the Constitution isn't about how stupid people are allowed to be but rather how the government can treat that stupidity.  That pastor sounds more gutless than racist - I would have performed that wedding in big style at that church just to make it an issue and expose the bigots.  Cowardice is also not unConstitutional.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, he could have told people who didn't like it that they could find another church smile

1. undermyhat profile image60
              undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even better, he lost a teaching moment in which he could have quoted Paul

Galatians 3:28
              There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus

Colossians 3:11
              Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all

1 Corinthians 12:13
              For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free--and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Ephesians 4:4
              There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to one hope when you were called--

Just goes to show that cowardice and racism are the children of sloth - I am not even a preacher, nor a Protestant but look what an awesome sermon could have been written with a little effort to shame the idiots in that church.

2. Billy Hicks profile image81
      Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Racism is alive and well in Mississippi."

Let me show you my shocked face...

http://memecrunch.com/meme/4V1Z/look-at-my-shocked-face/image.png

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
        tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Billy, not only shocked, but ageless as well.

3. tohimilook profile image59
      tohimilookposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The church is the most racist institution in the world.   I am sure if the couple had been paying their tithes, they would not think twice in taking it.  No wonder the Christian religion is taking so much criticism.   Put me in their place.  I would not allow him to perform my wedding.  I wonder what kind of bible they are reading.   Black folks need to wake up.

2. Gypsy Willow profile image65
    Gypsy Willowposted 11 years ago

The church should forgo its tax exemption if it wants to revert to overt racism. The pastor would do well to leave that "church" as he has forfeited his reputation.

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Love Thy Neighbor! Unless they’re black, gay, Muslim, non-Christian, or different from you in any way shape or form. Although this hick church refused to marry this couple, they have no problem accepting their offering on Sundays. Christianity is the following of Jesus' example of loving your neighbor regardless of their religion, skin color or sexual orientation. If you are a self proclaimed Christian and you have a problem with accepting others, which means ALL of them, you’re NOT a Christian. You’re a Jesus fan! Your bigoted, poorly educated, control-freak of a pasture may say different, but that’s’ why some of these people become pastures because no one else will hire them.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What bugs me the most is that the pastor, from CNN's presentation of the story, did not appear to be racist at all, but instead simply abdicated his responsibility to be a moral leader.

There are racists everywhere. It does bug me, but the fact that the head of the Church acquiesced to bigotry is a step backwards.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
        tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if there is more that CNN didn't tell? Like they are first cousins or something.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

A church does have that right under the law (just as they have the right to not marry gays, mixed race couples, divorcees etc etc).  Ethics and decency is a different matter.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm not addressing the question of lawfulness.  Just, like you said, ethics and decency.

5. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.  Whoever makes noise gets what they want.  It doesn't matter if its right or wrong.  Oh excuse me,  the r and w words are not PC in my state.

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Listening to the video recording I do have to say that the victims had a powerful argument pertaining to the moral obligation of the church to do what they know is just and right.

Sadly we move into the future still carrying ignorance and hate in of all places the church.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)