Do the GOPconsider minority or female token as evidence of diversity?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 11 years ago

diversity?

I never could understand why Republicans believe that if you showcase a black brown or female it is proof positive that the party is diverse. Black, brown or female faces does not talk to the ideology, platform and policies, which are what most of us are interested in, Do the conservatives believe that people are so naive?

There seems to be a great deal of fear among conservatives that their viewpoints are not to going to receive a warm reception from the majority of voters. I speak about their careful waltzing around abortion exceptions for example in their platform. So mums the word, just don't bring it up?

I guess diversity does not have to be something that is always considered desirable, that seems to be the case with the GOP. I wish that they would just come out and admit it, rather than pretend that it is important to them.

Your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was playing a game last night.  Only time you can play this game is at Tea Party rallies or Republican conventions.  Find the minority.

The crowd was overwhelmingly old and white.  It was ridiculous.  Then, we have the peanut throwing incident, and the GOP bloggers saying they didn't like Mexicans working at what was supposed to be an American company, and it just looks awful.

Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Sooner,
        So why is the crowd overwhelming old and white? What is it about the GOP that attracts them but pushes everybody else away?

1. profile image0

Because the GOP's current electoral strategy is to make white guys angry!

http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2 … -politics/

http://gawker.com/5939404/sen-lindsey-g … ustain-gop

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/30/s … hite-guys/

Don't know if you knew about this story, but it's a telling admission.

Great reads, Sooner, reaffirming what seems to be the case

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/user/gopconventi … amp;page=1

Look at the lineup of speakers. They are trying so very, very hard to look diverse. Almost as hard as they're trying (too hard) to 'humanize" Romney. It's forced.
    Look as us -- we have 3 Latinos! Look -- we have 8 women!  Look -- we have 4 Blacks.
    Ooh, ooh -- and 2 of our Blacks are also women! And one of our Latinos is also a woman! See? See? See how diverse today's GOP really is?
    No. Really.

The GOP employed Industrial Light and Magic/George Lucus special effects to give the audience the illusion that there were people in the Convention crowd other than WASPs. Since the Right has gone into the motion picture business this is an ability I sure that they have always possessed.

But, I am still not convinced.....

3. Xenonlit profile image58
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

The GOP has proved, again and again, that it will tell any lie and claim that it is the truth. The tokens are weak minded opportunists who will do anything to associate with perceived power. That's why they are willing to be tokens.

There is no diversity of anything real, relevant or important in the GOP. That is very frightening and this tendency needs to be shut down, as it was in the 1960s when the GOP threatened to ruin this country. Now they are very close to actually getting the ruining done.

Xenonlit, if they are not weak minded opportunists they are the goofy Herman Cain variety with cowboy hats and such. I saw one or two of those in the crowd. Cain said that if the rules were in fact fair that he would have been the nominee. Yeah, sure.
      To be sure Cain has never been Abel

I really don't think that diversity is important, they want their WASP based vision to prevail and if a little slight of hand is necessary to get to this end, so be it;

Whose driving this:

1. Corporate interests
      2. The 1% that want to keep their advantages at the expense of the rest of us
      3. The trailer park sort with delusions of grandeur that they too could be Donald Trump if only those nasty minorities and liberals were not in the public treasury all of the time. They make the rally cry "No Free Stuff" when that would mean no food on their tables.
      4. Social conservatives that would just as soon have all the women register their private parts with the Government.

Don't you find it interesting how easily these Evangelical Christians accomodate a Momon which at one time during the Perry campaign they said they could not support because of the fact that they believed Mormonism a cult. I guess anything is preferable to Obama who they see as Satan incarnate.

4. JSChams profile image59
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

So if they actually are diverse would we ever really know it? No one here wants anyone to believe that.

Depends on what you consider diversity, if it is between Anglos having blue eyes verses brown, I guess we won't know. But as to the variety of ethnic and racial representation I always see among the Democratic attendees, I saw nothing like this at the GOP shindig.

JS, I am going to believe my own eyes....

1. JSChams profile image59
        JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You guys just don't have any bullets in your gun that don't have racist stamped on them do you?

1. gmwilliams profile image83
          gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

?????????

2. Credence2 profile image78

Me too, ???????????

Meaning is that all you got? Racism? Again?

JS, nobody said anything about racism, but I can easily wonder about the lack of diversity in the GOP convention that is quite evident  when compared with the Dem convention in 2008. I did not say racism but what is your explanation?

That whole argument inherently speaks of racism. That's the only weapon the left has.
                It's really sad.

1. profile image0

Have you forgotten the Southern Strategy?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

I haven't forgotten you are the dean of talking points.

2. Credence2 profile image78

JS, you are not an easy person to pin down, so what point are you making? The GOP rank and file is far less diverse than that of the Democrats, do you deny this or do you not believe it is relevant, which is it?
                  For some of us that is important, for others perhaps not......

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7098995_f248.jpg

The point I am making is all one has to do is go look and they will find evidence enough to get them to understand the cheer leader value of this forum. That is all it is. The same old GOP white racist crap that you have heard for at least four years. On and On and on and on and on and on.............

We know better. Ok?

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

"RNC's hottest accessory: the Mitt mask"
    RIght. How would anyone know who is actually behind the mask if they are trying so hard to look the same!

New RNC motto: If you can't humanize, impersonate!
    lol
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rnc- … ction.html

6. JSChams profile image59

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7098811_f248.jpg

OK.....looks like lots of different kinds of folks to me.
    Maybe it's the new prescription glasses. Any you guys got cataracts? Something wrong....

What's wrong is that you are showing me a postage stamp. How about a bigger photo?

Stats say that 87 percent of GOP leaning voters are white, a lot of that has to be reflected in what you see at the convention.

Stats are numbers. Anyone can write them down.
        That picture....if you would actually look at it tells a much different story than the party line voices here.
        What do you guys do....email each other and write the talking points before you start the forum?

Whats its about JS, it is pretty evident on its face. The stats are not just being brought in from thin air, they are substatiated from a number of sources. 2 + 2 are numbers, that when added has an undeniable answer.
          This is my question, this thread, but I bet I am not the only one who would like a credible answer.

I gave pictorial evidence that was ignored.
            I can get more.

7. JSChams profile image59

Do you guys actually believe you are changing anyone's viewpoint or is this just a massive cheer leading effort?
    Because this whole thing has gone on for so long with most of the public knowing better that it is highly boring and annoying.

Just asking folks to think about the topic and suggest an answer and I let the chips fall where they may. Well, if you are on the other side fearing the answer you get to the challenge question, of course you are not going to be terribly interested, I understand. Its OK

Fearing?????
        Wow are you that deluded?

No, not at all, but disappointed, I thought that you could do better than this, when you come into the lions den, you know I am going put you and other conservative types on the spot. I will be intellectually honest and fair with you, but you can't dance around the issue.

What? Look at the pictures. Then talk to me about a "lion's den". That's preposterous. And I am not even a Republican.

But you are defending the GOP with the tired old refrain they make that the left accuses them of being racist. There are dozens are articles from a myriad of sources pointing to the concern that the GOP leaders have of a lack of diversity and how that would have dire consequences for their brand in the future. I am not making this up, check Sooners links provided early in this thread.

It's not a tired old refrain. It's all the hell you ever hear.

8. JSChams profile image59

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7099101_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7099102_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7099103_f248.jpg

Wow you are right. Nothing but old fat white guys as far as the eye can see.
    No obviously that's not the case.
    Stop lying. That's my point.

I said Anglo, not old and fat. The press and statistics speak on the numbers and they are a bit more reliable than photographs, which I cannot blow up for examination  What are the source of your photos so that I may have a look?

I fart on the press and their statistics. They are in the liberal progressive tank. What do you think their statistics will say?

Thats a copout. I also hear that tired old refrain about the 'liberal press', whenever there is news and information that you just as soon not hear or believe. Lindsey Graham, Jeb Bush are not the 'liberal press' and I heard basically this concern from them, so what about it?

Considering I didn't watch a single second of the convention I have not heard that from them. However my experience tells me the press will lie about these things whenever their lips are free to move......

Well, Graham and Bush's lips were moving and it wasn't a camera trick!

2. JSChams profile image59

Google images.
        diversity at the Republican National Convention.

Thanks

3. JSChams profile image59

OK here's the thing you need to understand. If i am standing in a room and look around and see ten green chairs and five orange ones but i hear statistics that said there were few if any green chairs in the room I know better by the evidence of my eyes.
        The proof is in the pudding. The racist meme is soooooooooooooooo tiring.

But I would ask the question in a universe full of both green and orange chairs, why  in a specific setting there are 9 green chairs to every one orange. This is not random, what is the reason...

Yeah...........
            I have shown pictures that show the stats are balloon juice.
            That was the point. That someone said there weren't the number there were and that is what has happened.
            Now you know that but we just have to be right don't we?????

No , JS, you have to be Right, I am just providing the evidence, looking at the GOP convention photos, most of the photos were taken from too great a distance to analyze the composition of the crowd. Come on now, do you really believe that the GOP is as diverse in its compostion as the Dems?
              Blacks gave the 95% of their vote last election to the Dems and Romney is slated to recieve barely 30 percent of hispanics this time around. So who is zoomin who here?

I never ever said as diverse. This whole thing has screamed no diversity........except tokens. Look at your subject.
                Damn right you will see a lot of minorities at the Democratic Convention. I have already seen reports free tickets were being handed out at local bars.
                Got to make sure we make the Conservatives look as racist as we can possibly make them look right?
                It's all BS and you know it. Down to your core but this is what you do......

I neversaid none there are 10% non-white membership in the GOP, so there is some. But 90% of one and 10% of the other would make me question 'diversity' in reality.
                  It is anything but BS, but the political right had better start to look at this stuff seriously or that elephant that you worship could well become a wooly mammoth in the near future.

2. JSChams profile image59

But of course there are "stats". Right?
                I got your stats right here. They are meaningless particularly in an environment where the opposite party is now looking at losing their incumbency.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)