Can we boost Hubpages viewings ourselves to weather this storm?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 11 years ago

So the other day I was looking for a vegetarian gravy recipe. I decided to type my google search as 'hubpages vegetarian gravy recipe' to do some random hubber a favour and give them a viewing, which I also left open on my laptop in the kitchen for a good 15 minutes, thereby doing them another favour with the long view time which would look good for their Google ranking.

I wonder what would happen if we all did this, and asked our family and friends to do the same. It would be great for viewings to make up for the current decline.

I wonder how long it would be before Google redirected such searches to Youtube instead though!

Personally I am going to do it for an experiment; the word 'hubpages' before every search entry first. If I can't fin what I am looking for from a hub, I will go back and search again without it.

Any thoughts?

1. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
      Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice idea, Ethan, but it would probably be a drop in the ocean. It would be interesting to search in Hubpages' own search box if you don't find a hub on Google, because they seem to have relegated many hubs to the boondocks of the Internet smile

1. profile image0
        Ethan Greenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

would it be a big drop in the ocean though? hehe

2. livewithrichard profile image70
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think this idea will skew the real metrics that are needed to make improvements to you content.  Real metrics come from natural searches on search engines.  Google and the others know that Hubpages has its own internal search function so placing Hubpages before each search phrase will not be a natural search. 

I believe that the current drop in traffic is an internal issue from a coding mistake made in one of the last tweaks HP has attempted in that last couple of weeks.  They will sort it out, I'm sure.  It seems as though not all hubbers have been caught up in this, if you believe what they say.  Quantcast numbers show that HP as a whole has taken a real nosedive where other similar writing platforms were unscathed.  This is a big indicator that the issue is internally driven.

3. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually I tried this and was surprised at what nice hubs came up. I just put in hubpage cupcake recipes. We should be able to search for what we want on whatever site we want. I also did this with blogspot cupcakes recipes and got some nice results from there.
      I don't see how this will hurt anything.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Faked results will only ultimately lead to Google penalizing the site.  They are getting pretty good at telling when traffic is not spontaneous and organic. It also risks scaring off the advertisers who support this site as this kind of traffic is no good to them.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This.

Google's internal guidelines define webspam as any artificial practice which attempts to manipulate or trick search engines into ranking a page better than its content deserves.

Most of the Google penalties and algorithm changes that have come out in the past few years have been explicit measures taken to fight such practices and penalize sites that use them.

Here's things we could do that might help:

(1) learn how to use social media to share and tell people about good content on Hubpages,
      (2) improve our own content, learning and considering what people who search the web want,
      (3) educate ourselves about how search engines work, what things they penalize and reward, and how we can use SEO not to trick search engines but to help them understand what searches our content is relevant for, what we're talking about, and what kinds of people might find our page useful.

(1) is the easiest, and has the advantage that it's an ALTERNATIVE traffic source to Google and search engines, so it doesn't matter what Google thinks of Hubpages. But note that I said "learn" -- there are sites like Twitter and Facebook where it's acceptable to share stuff you've written or find interesting on the sites you frequent, and then there are social communities like Reddit that will ban members who self-promote or try to exploit their site for promotional purposes. Learn which sleeping dogs to let lie. wink And also, alas, you gotta learn enoug marketing and psychology to have a sense how to share things so  that people will be interested enough to click instead of dismissing the link as spam or not worth pursuing.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If you really search and really read, sure.  But that was not what was being suggested.  And remember, the advertisers that ultimately pay us can read this forum too.

1. profile image0

actually that it was I suggested - I made the gravy, ate it and it was great:-) but I won't be doing that again until the next time I need a gravy recipe!

4. Doodlehead profile image48
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

yeah---I don't know about you, but I have to do my "real job" today and can't sit around doing searches all day to improve my searchability!

1. profile image0

that also wasn't what I suggested. I have a 9-5 job too. just to be clear I wad only thinking to do this kind of search when you would naturally be searching for something. crikey - you really though I was suggesting we all sit around making fake searches all day!!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Instead of doing that. If you find a hub you like share it on Facebook, Google + or Twitter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)