For those of you to whom this applies...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Why are you unwilling to discuss politics objectively?

Why are you unwilling to admit fault in your candidate?

Why do you refuse to discuss when your claims are shown to be false?

There are a few people here I respect, but mostly it's hit and run.

Person 1 - "Romney said X"
    Person 2 - "Actually, he said Y. [link]"
    person 1 has left the discussion

It bothers me, because this behavior causes problems in America. It causes R's to support a candidate who spends money recklessly. It causes D's to support a candidate who spends money recklessly. It keeps real discussion from happening... So, the question is...

Why?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Some people get tired of arguing the same facts over and over again and leave when someone keeps it going so they always have to get in the last word.

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a little different than what I'm talking about, but I understand that view.

What about though, the times when people will make a claim, that claim is proven false, and instead of paying attention to it, they ignore/leave/make the claim later?

What is the point in ignoring facts? What is the point in refusing to learn and allow your viewpoint to mature?

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaxson, I think part of is because "facts" these days are often hard to prove - especially regarding politics. You can go to a legitimate source that says one thing, but if you look hard enough, you can often find another legitimate source that says the opposite, or one that at least seems to say the opposite. And so we go 'round and 'round...

1. profile image0

I know some things are hard to prove(studies, projections, predictions)... but saying something like 'Obama said X', when you can link to a transcript and video of him saying something slightly different, or pointing out the context(you didn't build that)... that's what I don't get. It's blatant dishonesty.

You're not one of the people who this applies to though habee... either toe the party line or get out of here!

tongue

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

There's a PARTY?? Where, where? Is it BYOB? I LOVE parties!!

2. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
          Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was going to say, there is just so much we don't know or completely understand.

You could be right, or you could be citing a half-truth or a fact that has been proven wrong elsewhere.

It also doesn't help that there is little context in the world of politics for a fact or quote to be judged correctly.

1. profile image0

I'm talking about the stuff that is clear though.

For instance, if the IRS comes out and says 'The top 20% of Americans paid an average tax rate of 17%', and I link you to irs.gov/20-percent-17-percent-tax-rate.aspx?

that's not really a disputable fact, but people will dispute it if they don't like it.

Or, if Romney gives a speech and says 'I enjoy killing time with my grand-children', but John Q Libral says 'Romney said he enjoys killing children!'

it's really not up for dispute... but people do it anyway.

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that what you describe does happen.  However, I also think that quite often when you believe you have "proven" your side through facts, you haven't.  You have merely presented what you consider to be an appropriate "example" using some mathematical story problem of your own invention that is oversimplified and proves nothing except that you like concrete numbers.  Then, if someone doesn't buy into it, you say they are running from the "facts."

Sorry, that's just how I see it.  On the other hand, you do have a point and sometimes what you are describing does happen.  I just don't think it happens as often as you think it does.

1. profile image0

Well, in one thread, it happened 3 or 4 times with one person.

- Romney said 'X'
          - No he didn't. [link to transcript]

- Romney didn't say 'Y'
          - Yes he did. [link to transcript] + quote

Things like that. There's a lot of it on HP. People denying what the IRS says about taxes... people accepting SEC documents if a news agency says the document says GE paid no taxes, but not accepting the same documents when I link to and show that the taxes were actually 20%... it happens all the time.

3. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years ago

Or, if Romney gives a speech and says 'I enjoy killing time with my grand-children', but John Q Libral says 'Romney said he enjoys killing children!'

Haha, what? Just because you happen to agree with Romney or think his plans will actually work doesn't meant that people who disagree are twisting his words.

1. profile image0

Cody, you don't seem to be paying attention.

When you mis-quote somebody, it's a fact that can be corrected and verified. If someone tries to dispute it, they are disputing something that shouldn't be disputable.

I'm not talking about someone disagreeing, I'm showing examples of the types of things that are disputed even though they honestly can't be. Would you agree with John Q Libral?

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
        Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eh, I've never actually seen Romney mis-quoted on these boards. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen it.

Although. a lot of what Romney says is hard to keep straight because he does flip-flop a lot.

4. gg.zaino profile image72
    gg.zainoposted 11 years ago

Politics and religion are two topics that butt heads on issues each party believes to be correct, yet come to loggerheads when a serious discussion on when the true facts come to the forefront... i stay away for good reason... gg.zaino

5. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

Discussions on politics and religion always cause conflict and that will never change. In this day and age people are afraid to be put on a list.....red, blue, yellow with their political views.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)