What would you like done with your body when you die?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

I just read somewhere that the tiniest, until now undiscovered connections in the brain might cause near death experiences, meaning you could acually still be alive, (your hair and nails are still growing) when pronounced dead. In view of this I would not like to be cremated but rather experience the dying process in a more "natural" way. Being enclosed in a wooden box doesn't seem very appealing either. Are there any alternatives? What do you think?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your hair and nails will continue to grow after you are dead. This is normal. Cremation prevents the "coming back" problem, so I suggest that. wink

1. Bredavies profile image61
        Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

zombiessss

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whatever science can use from body, when I am done with it, so be it.

The rest, they can burn and dispense however they see fit. I will have no use for my body, because my life will be over.

2. Bredavies profile image61
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I want to be put in a muesuem

3. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Dig a hole;  throw me in it, and plant a pecan tree or a watermellon plant over it I don't care as long as somebody eats the fruit commin offin it.

1. Bredavies profile image61
      Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

....ahhh...:p

4. Sue Adams profile image95

Yes, dig a hole, get comfy and watch the stars, that would be nice but is it legal?

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only if somebody else knows about it....

5. Jerami profile image57

Yea  I wanta be a tree hubber from tha ground up..is there somthin wrong with that????

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I am an organ donor and I wish to be cremated afterwards.

7. Sue Adams profile image95

no, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned but what about the law? Can you just go and hide like an animal and let nature take over?

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think ya can as long as ya got the paperwork taken care of.  If ya know its coming ????   do tha paperwork  as far as titles and stuff and the county clerk  realy don't  care.
      And if tha government don't know  ????

8. Jerami profile image57

It is a good thought if life comes or continues afterwards; any kind of way.

9. Sue Adams profile image95

Yes, donating organs is good, but again it interferes with dying peacefully.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I would hope to be dead first :lol

Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But now some scientists are saying that a stopped heart and brain are not necessarily proof of death. They claim that some tiny, hitherto unknown neurons carry on firing after people have officially been pronounced dead.

But, after you are brain dead you don't feel anything.

2. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't usually after about 3-4 minutes you are declared brain dead. If you die on the table and you are flatline, they will work on you up to that 4-5 minute mark, to ensure that they have done all they can to make you live. Any further, would mean severe brain damage or vegetable, and that's no way of life.

I'm not exactly sure on that, but I pretty sure it's close. Just a thought.

You can guarantee that in your living will.

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-a-Living-Will

Yes, I know about living wills, my 96 year old (perfectly healthy)
              grandma signed one because she doesn't want to be kept alive on tubes.  But it doesn't solve the problem of not being allowed to quietly creep away somewhere quiet, more like an animal, rather than having to be handled by people.

Well, if it can save someone from dying I really don't mind at all.

10. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I'd donate my body to science (hopefully bits of it would be useable tongue)

Then probably cremation because it leaves less mess and takes up less ground space

11. abcd1111 profile image59
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

I'm going to go with the theory that if my heart stops, my brain is dead and I'm no longer breathing, it's a wash.

Take any organs worth using and burn the rest.

As for creeping off and dying without people handling you, what's to stop you from doing that?
    Unless you're brain dead and can't get yourself out to the woods...

I hope it's a peaceful passing for all of us. No rush though.

But when I mention this to my family they say "No, you can't do that, we want a proper funeral" and all that palaver. So it seems even in death you have to conform to the norm.  sad

12. abcd1111 profile image59
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

I will totally agree we don't have enough power over our own passing.  I believe in being able to opt for euthanasia if I am suffering, but others don't allow that either.

Can't the relatives settle for a "proper" memorial and just remember all the good times?

13. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

I really like the idea of
    "Creeping off into the woods and dying without people handling you, what's to stop you from doing that?"

14. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

mummified is fine.

Sue Adamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, definitely not mummified. I couldn't breathe in heaven with all that stuff in my face big_smile

15. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

a flower in my hair right side, yellow flowers, me floating in a body of water with a raft

Wow, that's beautiful Pretty.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

16. MAGICFIVE profile image64
    MAGICFIVEposted 11 years ago

Wow!  Lots of people answered this!  I'd like to uploaded onto a computer and turned into a cartoon!  There's a different answer!  Seriously, it would be so fun being a cartoon.

Hi Magicfive,
      Do you mean a cartoon of your life or a cartoon character? I love cartoon characters too . Which one would you like to be? Micky Mouse seems to be pretty immortal.

17. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I've donated my body to a University - as the University is about 45 minutes from my home, I'm kinda hoping that if I am still alive, someone might notice the body bag that is moving!!!

18. MAGICFIVE profile image64

Definitely a cartoon character...I don't know, I never actually picked one out..maybe a cute Anime girl, why not?

19. LensMan999 profile image57
    LensMan999posted 11 years ago

I really leave the choice to GOD, the almighty.

20. kathyinmn profile image59
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

I was faced with cancer last year and I really thought of the what if…….and what to do.
    So I decided to be buried green. That is with no embalming. I have a choice of being buried in a shroud or in a simple pine box. I thought of the shroud, but I am afraid they might drop me in the hole and I would turn over and end up face down.  I don’t think they will turn me over once in the ground. Jack, my friend joked about it and said I can always say “kiss my behind, world”  LOL….. So I am leaning to the pine box.

Being buried green is a lot cheaper, almost every state has a area where you can have this done. Here in Minnesota there are 2 locations, in both areas, you have a choice between a woodland setting and a prairie setting. There are no head stones here, but you can have a small metal plack to mark your resting place. I would like a woodland setting and I asked Joe to plant my special tree near me.

21. Hui (蕙) profile image59
    Hui (蕙)posted 11 years ago

I used to talk with some friends about devoting the body to medical use. Back then, I didn't think I would be great enough to do that, because I feel horrible to expose my own body to everybody, even I were already dead. Neither do I by now. But with aging, the mind may get changed. Who knows?

Now, I just imagine I would be in a wooden boat, drifting and finally sinking into the deep sea, to explore that mysterious world, while without a trace on land, so families, relatives, friends do need to be sad much, but just a moment...

22. kaiyan717 profile image86
    kaiyan717posted 11 years ago

I have a rare brain disease that hasn't been studied much, they actualy have not had a brain with my disease in 125 years, so my head goes to IHRF for research funding.  Hopefully they can learn something, maybe even a cure.

23. StandingJaguar profile image68
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

I'm leaning on the green burial, as someone already described above. I don't want any embalming or removing of any fluid/tissue/organs in my body. Just put me in the ground and let me give back my body; it was all borrowed anyway.

If you want to sneak off and pass away like other animals would, I would talk to a lawyer and include that wish in your living will. You might also want to leave a note--"by the way I'm leaving now don't look for me"--so people don't think you've been abducted or something. Go somewhere remote, so some poor sucker doesn't find your decomposing body and the police take it for forensic autopsies to see how you were murdered, lol. This is, of course, all assuming you can someone plan or predict when you are about to die.

24. MAGICFIVE profile image64

Actually, I just watched a Morgan Freeman "through the wormhole" show about "life after death" ...this is interesting...there is someone in Japan who is making robots to put uploaded brains in, once the technology for that is available....and they're getting close!  There is a "budget" robot version that just looks sort of like a little blob - but it's cute.  Now the thing is...if that brain is loaded into this robot, would that be "you' or just a copy of you?  And what if you can only afford the "budget" robot - would you just be laying in a room all day like a baby, because you can't move by yourself?  Would you choose this "life?"

25. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

Very interesting question. I was just discussing this topic with my son last summer, as he asked me what kind of funeral I wanted. When I die, which I hope will happen at the latest possible date, I want all possible re-usable organs to be removed from me and used on other people. I used to say : throw what's left by the dog food plant, but nobody except me found this funny. So instead, I would like the remains after removing the usable spare parts to be used for science or medical experiment. What a way to go !

26. Jay(C) profile image58
    Jay(C)posted 11 years ago

Burn me baby!

27. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

I would just want to be cremated and have my ashes thrown over some sacred spot after any organ donations that would be useable at the time. The spirit that is you always is,in life and in death, so whatever happens to the container(the body) I was in for this life time really doesn't matter. It's just a suit so to speak that I walked this planet with while I was here. But you should go for it if you know it is happening and have the strength to go into nature in a forest somewhere lay on a colorful blanket surrounded by beautiful flowers and trees and just pass on to the next plane.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)