Don't let the election tear us apart!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (91 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Dear Hubbers,

Some of the political threads are getting pretty mean. No, I'm not a mod, and I've never reported anyone on the forums, nor do I plan to do so in the future. We're all adults here, but some of us aren't acting as such. I've seen it from both sides. It saddens me to see hubbers who were previously friendly to each other now angry at each other over the election. Take up for your preferred candidate, but keep it civil. Those of us who are Americans should be glad we have the right to support the candidate of our choice, and we should respect each other's opinions, even when we don't agree. Shouldn't that be part of our "Americanism"?

That's all. Carry on.

Love,

Holle, Celtic Warrior Princess

(Holle puts away soapbox.)

1. Teddletonmr profile image69
      Teddletonmrposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said habee  smile we should all remember the phrase, united we stand and divided we fall...
      Be well, T

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true.

When the election is over, roughly half of the country will be disappointed or angry. That's just the way it is with a neck and neck race. I'm hoping my candidate will win, but there is a very good chance that he will not.

In my opinion, the political parties and their campaign tactics have not done anything constructive to help us, the people, remain united within our diversity. It's up to us - the little guys - to show our leaders how to get along even when we disagree and even when we don't like some outcome.

It won't be easy. We will have to find ways to work together in spite of our differences - to be able to offer differing opinions and complaints without adding to the pre-existing divisiveness.  Habee and Mighty Mom set the best example of that here on HP, and the rest of us need to follow suit.

One way to start is to practice saying, "You know, at first glance I don't agree with you, but I'll think about it some more.... I would like to discuss this matter.... Here's my opinion and why I think the way I do...."

Here's my opinion: I think it's unlikely that a spirit of unity and cooperation will trickle down from Washington, DC, but we can do our best to make it trickle up from us to them. It can't hurt to try.

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
          Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We've seen bipartisan leadership in action this week after Superstorm Sandy.
          I sure hope Congress was paying attention!!!
          smile

2. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I see many of us here have been civil and have been able to keep the election in perspective. I honestly don't believe that either candidate is evil or will bring about "the end of America as we know it." I'm so tired of hearing that - from people on both sides. The Senate will probably remain D and the House will probably remain R. How much power will our next POTUS have?

2. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too late. It is done. Live with it.

1. habee profile image92

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think it's ever too late for people to get along.

3. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You've always been very gracious, Habee.
      We should all be nice in our posts, and it's good that you're reminding us.

1. habee profile image92

Thanks, Howard. It's just my "southerness" coming out. lol

2. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that

4. Niteriter profile image61
      Niteriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please allow me to salute you for this eloquent post. You have spoken softly to convey a very big idea. I will cast my vote for you as HubPages Hero of the Year!

Best wishes to the Celtic Warrior Princess!

1. habee profile image92

lol. I love you, too, Niteriter. BTW, I've always liked your "handle."

5. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well stated Habee. I think of it this way. We survived eight years of Bush, we can survive four more years of whatever else.

1. habee profile image92

I think we Americans can handle any POTUS the political machine throws at us! lol. It sort of surprises me how evenly and sharply divided we are right now. I hope whoever wins will start the healing process and that Congress will follow. Yeah, I know...but I can hope, right?

1. rhamson profile image70

Hope is all we have at this point. The lies and deception coming from both sides of this election period has been less than uplifting. The politicians will say anything to sway our vote knowing full well there is not a snowballs chance in hell that it will be followed through on. Big business and the banks control this country and they tap into the public teet when the temple falls down around them. The problem is that we have to keep the temple intact so we may have a chance at eking out a living. Our future is not in our own hands anymore and the current political climate of division assures that little if anything will change in the near future.

Term limits, publicly financed campaigns and lobby reform is our real hope and unfortunately the body politic does not want any of it to change.

1. Waldo Numbly profile image59
            Waldo Numblyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I think, "watch what you ask for, you just might get it."   People seem to embrace government; they like products and services that are government inspected, certified, licensed, regulated, controlled.  Businesses get all excited when granted a government contract.  We look to the government to cure all our ills.  I keep hearing, "what will Obama/Romney do for the economy?  For women?  For Hispanics?  For Elderly?  We trust government, we feel safe with government, we are proud when government sends people into outer space.  Consequently, government keeps getting bigger and bigger.  And our freedom keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Like I said, Term limits, publicly financed campaigns and lobby reform is our real hope and unfortunately the body politic does not want any of it to change.

Out with old and in with the new.

I bet a few Jimmy Stewart types come to Washington as young idealistic congressmen seeking real change and reform, but get swallowed up by reality and the big guns.

Unfortunately the newbies that go to Washington with stars in their eyes of getting something done are soon made to sell their soul to the dinosaurs to show they can do anything. The old guard soon swoon them into following their lead and promise them the world for their cooperation. That is why term limits have to be installed so as to get these dinosaurs and their institutional governing out of the way. Lobbying reform will stop the buying of favor as well as publicly financed campaigns to keep the money out of the peoples business.

I agree rhamson, especially on lobby reform.  Everyone advocates for their particular piece of the pie.  And it isn't only business and projects.  Health care professions, police, firefighters, unions, and government employees are constantly after more more more of everything; bribing, shaming, and bullying the politicians to get what they want.

2. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Slainte to our Celtic Warrior Princess, Habee!

3. Waldo Numbly profile image59
    Waldo Numblyposted 11 years ago

I live way up in the north woods and I don't receive a television signal.  But last week I had to visit a city and stay at a motel.  I was appalled at the negative political ads; amazed at how under-handed and unproductive and childish they attacked each other.  They are all wimps if you ask me.  I can't help thinking, where are all the great statesmen and political theorists?  Can you even find one?  John Locke?  Thomas Hobbes?  Rouseau?  Voltaire?  Jefferson?  Washington?  Adams?  Thank God for a strong republic and constitution; I wouldn't trust the future of this country to any of these losers.

4. Barefootfae profile image59
    Barefootfaeposted 11 years ago

I agree habee. Now is you could go on Twitter and tell people to stop threatening to riot.......

Who is threatening to riot?  For what reason?

1. Barefootfae profile image59
        Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lot's of individuals on the Twitterverse are saying if Mitt Romney wins they will start a riot.
        Some Democracy huh?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it... You can't believe everything you hear on Twitter.

Want to post some examples? I haven't seen anyone threaten to riot on my Twitter.

1. Barefootfae profile image59
            Barefootfaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://now.msn.com/obama-supporters-twe … ey-elected

Guess what gang?     It ain't from a blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it ever occur to you that some of them might not be real Obama supporters... ?

Or just a small number of wackos. Of course no reasonably minded person is going to riot on either side.

I don't go in for fear mongering ... like a woman online who said everyone is going to be forced to get microchipped if Obama is re-elected smile

1. Josak profile image60

Wow man... that sounds dangerously logical...

If Obama is elected I am going to break a store window and steal a television.

1. Josak profile image60

See that's better tongue

2. cascoly profile image61
                  cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

obama made the mistake of believing there was a chance for bipartisanship - the republicans openly announced they would do NOTHING that might let Obama be re elected - so they shut down the govt and refused to consider anything that was proposed.  if there is a tearing apart, they are directly responsible.  republicans define bipartisan as when the democrats agree to their proposals

2. KFlippin profile image61
                KFlippinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile  And please....... if that were from a conservative source, a fictictious Romney source, it would be f'ng headline news NoNStop.......with no mention of fiction or reasonableness and that is an unacceptable double standard, and points to the media who have lost all sense of journalistic integrity........

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
                  Cody Hodge5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure that most progressives understand what Twitter is....

I haven't seen too many posts from the left on this forum that quote anything other than GOP leaders or conservative commentators. Not random people with a Twitter account.

3. habee profile image92

Some of the Twitter posts might be legit, but most people are just blowing off steam. From the other side, I know some far righties (rednecks) who say they're going to start a revolution if Obama wins. In fact, they're buying guns and ammo like crazy. That's scarier to me than the Twitter riot buzz. Why? Because there's a grain of evidence behind the revolution - it's a fact that gun and ammo sales are way up down here. If Obama loses, I'm moving to New York! Nah, I don't think I could leave the South. Just hope I don't get caught in the crossfire. lol

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
                  Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Holle, if it all gets too much you can always come stay with me in wet, windy and cold Manchester, England. We honestly don't get that many campaign ads to suffer, so there are some advantages! big_smile

1. habee profile image92

Oh, I'd be in heaven! Visiting England and Scotland is at the top of my bucket list! Hey, we should do a trade. You can come stay with me and I'll stay with you. We're only about an hour from sunny Florida!

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
            Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They could not care less about America.  This proves Obama was never really presidential material.  He was merely a sociological experiment.  Go ahead and riot kids, we gotcha covered.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Yes... but with everything we don't know if they are actual supporters or not.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60

Sound like supporters to me.

I don't trust Twitter... it is so easy to create fake accounts and pretend to be something you are not.

Wouldn't know, not interested in that type of stuff.

5. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

Habee, thumbs up on this smile We the people can get a little passionate about religion and politics, I assume that is the reason these conversations can get out of hand. Not only are we adults, but we are Americans. So we may fight like brothers and sisters, but in the end we always stand together. And, I love you all smile

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7335394_f248.jpg
    Stolen from klarawieck on another thread.

7. Cody Hodge5 profile image68
    Cody Hodge5posted 11 years ago

Agree with the premise of the thread. There is a fine line between passionate debate, calling attention to the issues and just plain trolling.

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

habee, I want to be just like you when I grow up. 

big_smile

I have fairly strong political opinions, but I don't often participate in the political forums because there are folks for whom I have great respect who hold very different ideas than I do.  I choose not to participate in conversations that may leave one or the other of us offended.  I'd rather focus on all the things that we agree on when there isn't an election coming up.

Of course, I agree with you wholeheartedly, which is nothing unusual when it comes to politics...lol  Even more importantly, however, I agree that we need to be kinder to one another - always, not just when the election is close.

1. habee profile image92

Great post, Mo. I have a lot of respect and warm feelings for some of the liberal hubbers here, and the election hasn't changed that. We can discuss/debate without getting angry or using personal attacks. Mighty Mom and Josak come to mind immediately, but there are others, too.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To Mo and Habee,   I totally agree.   To each, his/her own.    TWO ADMIRABLE WOMEN!

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, gmwilliams and habee.  big_smile

2. habee profile image92

Thanks a bunch!

9. PeppermintPaddy profile image59
    PeppermintPaddyposted 11 years ago

What election?

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

We tend to get passionate about what is important to us.  I hope I haven't come across as nasty to anyone here.  I don't think I've seen particularly nasty posts but I don't read all the political threads.. 
    I think we have to keep in mind we're talking about politicians~ 

and many of you know I can't stand Romney ~ 

I don't have qualms with anyone here.  At work I don't know anyone's party affiliation, it doesn't matter.  I stood in line for almost an hour to vote.  It didn't matter to me who was voting for whom.  We're all exercising our right to vote our own choice. No one was complaining or even talking politics~

but when I'm working the 'ground' and making my voice heard, I speak up.

My mom in her late years of life was very adamant about her political beliefs and she was a R.  She would refer to me as a damn Democrat ~~ teasingly ~ which I'm not.  I'm an Independent, but lean to the left.

I hope everyone who hasn't voted yet will exercise their right to vote tomorrow. 
    smile

1. habee profile image92

I see you as being fair and resonable. Nothing wrong with being passionate about your beliefs. I guess this election mess is easier for me since I don't love or hate either candidate. I voted for Romney because I think he will improve the economy, but I'm more in line with Obama on some issues, especially social issues. I'll never have the good fortune to find a candidate with whom I agree on everything because I have a somewhat "strange mix" of opinions, I guess.

I think politics has always been a dirty game.  Even divine right monarchs had complex political issues to deal with, usually with someone getting stabbed.  Cathrine the Great even killed her wimpy husband.  And I recall a civil war over states rights and slavery.  It's even more passionate now because of the social issues.  Of course, if people agree with me I'm usually nice to them.

11. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

I must admit I'm not a real supporter of anyone. Why should I be? Show me what I want then I will follow. I'm neither a republican nor a democrat nor independent. I have no specific aforementioned allegiance. They tend to lock you into philosophical gridlock-no thanks. I voted for Obama but I question him now and I question Mitt Romney and his 47% of Americans are lazy comment.

12. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

I must admit I'm not a real supporter of anyone. Why should I be? Show me what I want then I will follow. I'm neither a republican nor a democrat nor independent. I have no specific aforementioned allegiance. They tend to lock you into philosophical gridlock-no thanks. I voted for Obama but I question him now and I question Mitt Romney and his 47% of Americans are lazy comment.

13. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

14. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

15. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

16. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

17. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

If I vote for Romney it's a hesitant vote based not on what he has to offer (which I have to look into I admit) but what he doesn't have to offer and that is a healthcare-mandate on the Catholic church which was politically motivated, but highly immoral and supported by a slew of feminists which is sad. Everything casted aside as long as feminists rights are uphold.

1. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I'm not really voting for Romney - but I'm voting against Obama. Sad that it has to be that way.

18. PeppermintPaddy profile image59

Wtf?

You can delete your own posts

1. PeppermintPaddy profile image59
        PeppermintPaddyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I can't, I don't have that option.

2. PeppermintPaddy profile image59
        PeppermintPaddyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No I can't, I don't have that option.

19. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

@ Repairguy, no one was asking you for evidence. And you haven't supplied any anyway. We were talking about false twitter accounts (have you forgotten, already) People posting on twitter who claim to be Obama supporters and stating that they will riot if Romney is elected. As you cannot prove they are Obama supporters, actually no-one can, the info is unreliable at best, the act of a fantasist at worst. But if you want to believe everything you read, without challenging and questioning, then go ahead.

@Waldo, if you feel I'm making no sense then read the comments above mine. I often find that reading all the comments offers some context, which is generally helpful.

Prove they are not real twitter accounts or leave it alone. And yes you said I had the burden of evidence on me! And yes I provided the evidence you just created an entirely different scenario to fit your argument.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Habee,
        I didn't know you were a Celtic Warrior Princess! How great! I'm late to the thread as we just got our electricity back in my area of NJ last night. Hurricane Sandy was terrifying, and "going down the shore" in NJ is sacred, our ocean playground will never be the same. My family and house and car all escaped without damage, and I'm grateful. We had few fatalities. People were actually nice to each other, not a "normal" state in NJ.

R Governer Chris Christie delivered on his promise that power would be restored in 7 days, although the power companies said 10. He also did the same when we had a freak storm during the same week in Oct. last year. He worked well with Pres. Obama, and army helicopters were used to fly in utility workers from all over the country. Although I have been a lifelong Dem, Christie gets my vote for re-election. He showed strength and compassion, he does what he says he will do, and he cuts out all the BS. Wouldn't it be great if other politicians could do that?

I can't wait for the election for this Presidential election to be over. We were unsure if we should put in absentee votes, but the electricity is up in all our voting districts. I am shocked by both the racism showed for Obama (and it can't be denied, the R's keep calling him a MauMau from Kenya) and also that Romney has no fixed opinions about anything. I hope nobody does anything crazy. I've just seen how a State of Emergency can almost go smoothly, when people work together for the betterment of everyone, instead of for attention or whatever it is they want for themselves. I hope we can move back in that direction in the US eventually.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

No I didn't! and basically Repairguy that's because nobody can prove either way, comprendi? But like I said, if you want to believe everything you read, that's your right, no skin off my nose.

If it's on the Internet it must be true... unless it's in the New York Times or Huffpost...

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
            Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just hope it doesn't drag out for weeks, and we know tonight. If Obama wins, Congress will be forced to work with him whether they like it or not. If Romney wins, it's unclear what we are getting. But at least it will be over. I think all new Presidents come into a worse situation than they think, but Obama's was particularly bad. I wish he had done better, but I don't think he didn't try. Nobody would work with him. Plus he was only a one term Senator, and didn't build up those relationships necessary to get things done. Had Ted Kennedy lived, he would have been a good mentor. Romney has no better grasp on the people he will be working with. It stinks to have a choice that's really not a choice between good candidates, only so/so ones. Let's hope for the best, and then we have to make the best of it for four more years.

I think congress, under Boehner, did a good job of suppressing Obama.  Obama can be very radical if not kept in check.   He was associated with Ayers and activist groups that can be quite seditious and dangerous.  Obama needs to be hammered and watered down or he can be dangerous to our freedom.  He views government as an all-powerful protectorate though which all social and economic problems can be controlled.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

It must be UW. smile

3. Repairguy47 profile image60

It always makes me laugh when people read something and automatically say it can't be true. I guarantee if it was Romney people tweeting these things there would be no doubt in your minds that it was real.

4. RecoverToday profile image81
            RecoverTodayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Niteriter profile image61
          Niteriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hollie, you really do have to make an effort to stop making such good sense. It's quite inappropriate for the environment in which you speak. big_smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Niteriter, nice to see you as always, and yes, my bad. big_smile

20. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I'm confused... if people have to wait 7 or 8 hours to vote how could anyone possibly vote more than once?  I call bogus on those saying they voted more than once.

Well there is about two weeks of early voting.

21. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I have to admit I almost didn't vote today. This has been the most difficult election day for me to make a decision about.
    No I'm not telling.

22. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

This has been the most difficult election for me so far.
    I almost didn't vote today but marched in and made my decision. I hope it was right.

Stacie of course you were right.  You voted for the person you believed in and win or lose, you did the right thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)