What would you do today IF you had no fear?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (110 posts)
  1. ALL4JESUS profile image74
    ALL4JESUSposted 11 years ago

Our relationship with the son of God, Jesus should provide us courage. We know the pain and sorrow that Christ went through for the crucifixion, our faith should make us strong. If we had no fear, we could do great things.

Every day we should be saying to ourselves what did we avoid today because of fear? What could we accomplish IF we lived by faith and day by day lived without fear?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting statement, following the title. I'm confused as to how fear would keep one from living within the teachings of Christ. I'd love some examples of how fear could cause one to deviate from loving God and giving your neighbor the same consideration one gives oneself.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh, fear is a rather important motivator. Without fear we'd most likely die a rather fast death. Fear might stop you from walking into a biker bar at 3 am and telling them about Jesus which would prevent you from attempted to do anything for Jesus the next day.

Fear might prevent you from walking onto a busy highway holding a banner that says "honk if you love Jesus" which would also most likely prevent you from helping Jesus the next day as well.

1. profile image0

So, would you say fear and sound judgment are synonymous ?

1. profile image0

No I wouldn't say that because sound judgment can relieve one's fear. There are however people through the result of a brain injury have no fear. They tend to get hurt a lot. There are also people who allow fear to rule there lives.

1. profile image0

But, fear doesn't factor in as the primary reason a Jesus freak wouldn't do either of those things, hopefully. I would say it only played a role if one were to forego sound judgment and found themselves standing on the cusp of doing either. At that point, fear would be the primary motivator. I would think.

1. profile image0

Fear is most definitely the reason a "Jesus freak" doesn't do things that would get him killed. It's the reason we don't stick our head in a lions mouth or jump in the polar bear exhibit. It's the reason men don't tell their wives that they are gaining weight. Women are not afraid to tell their husbands they are gaining weight because we don't care. Men look down and say "right, but better get to the gym". Sound judgement may help one with unwanted fears, but it won't prevent someone from doing stupid things if they feel no fear as they won't consider thinking about what they are doing without fear.

1. profile image0

I still disagree. Fear is not a factor when considering dangerous consequences. I don't not jump into a lion's cage because I'm afraid to jump in. I simply know the consequences and don't do it. I don't feel fear in the process of thinking of it. The same goes for entering a biker bar. I'm not afraid,because i have no desire to do it. Now, bungee jumping. I want to, but i know i couldn't because i fear it. That doesn't fall into the same category since sound judgment doesn't prohibit the thought or act of bungee jumping.

1. profile image0

Say what?

If you felt no fear you may be inclined to pet those beautiful lions and tigers. Perhaps you want to know what their paws feel like? But fear prevents us from acting upon our desires.
                  But there are "Jesus freaks" who may want to save the souls of those bikers, but fear prevents them from going in, and it's a good thing. As for you fear of bungee jumping, some good sound judgement may be used to convince you you should either try it or not, but if you had no fear sound judgement wouldn't come into play because you wouldn't think you need it.

1. profile image0

Fear-an unpleasant emotion.

I suffer no fear when judging what will be the end result of any course of action i am not compelled to embark upon. Fear would only be a factor if i felt compelled. It would be what held me back, but there would be no fear involved when accepting that i couldn't snuggle with a lion.

I do agree that without the initial benefit of sound judgment fear might kick start it.

2. profile image54
                    Debi777posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree that it's fear that prevents you from petting lions and such as you say, that's wisdom or knowledge whichever you prefer. The emotion of fear is what I think the author of this post is talking about.

3. profile image0
                    Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not entirely. There is a difference between having fear of something and having an understanding and respect for its nature. You can still pet some lions and tigers under the right conditions, but common sense and sound judgment, not always fear, dictates that walking up to one in its natural habitat might not be the best course of action

3. profile image54
      Debi777posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like what you say.  For those who are perfected in love do not fear. Fear is a tormenting spirit that sometimes gets in the way of our ability to act as Jesus would in a given situation.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you might be confusing fear with confidence.

Living day by day with faith usually accomplishes nothing but mistakes made over and over.

5. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is an interesting relationship between fear and religion. Human beings tend to be afraid of the unknown. It's a survival mechanism genetically programmed into us through the process of natural selection (people who were cautious when faced with unknown things were more likely to survive and therefore more likely to mate, passing on that characteristic to the next generation). So fear is a necessary and valuable emotion in survival terms. As human beings became self-aware we were faced with lots of different "unknowns" that seem to be unique to self-awareness. Why do we exist? How exactly did everything we experience come into being? Why is there something instead of nothing? Is this all there is? Is death the end of existence? The unknowns translate into deep seated, primal fears. Existential angst.

I think religion itself may be a defense mechanism that developed to counter this. The concept of god seems to provide assurance, and assuage fears of the unknown. As such I wonder whether religion would exist at all if self-awareness didn't bring with it a unique set of fears. Religion also brings it's own fears (e.g. eternal hell fire etc) which can only be alleviated by following the diktats of that religion. So I wonder if there is a symbiotic relationship between religion and fear, i.e. one feeds off the other and vice versa.

I should add that none of that has any bearing on the veracity of religious belief. I'm just speculating about the relationship between human beings, fear and religion. That may be a slightly different spin on what the opening post is about so apologies if I was off topic.

2. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 10 years ago

Continue to follow Jesus with faith and deal spiritually with any challenge to stop me from achieving my goals

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...could you explain deal "spiritually?"

1. word55 profile image71
        word55posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deal spiritually means in a manner according to to scripture. Using the armor of God. When challenges come our way then defend yourself with God's Word. Don't fight fire with fire but with water. I hope that helps.

...so fight with water and God's word.  What is the fight about usually? Is it an inward fight with yourself or an outward fight with others or the world? What do you think most people are dealing with on a day to day basis. If they do not read their bible they are missing out somehow… how?
          ...what stops you from achieving your goals?
          In my case it is restlessness. Does the bible anwer to this?

Well, you should use God's Word in every day life anyway. It should be used for self and others. Some people need encouragement. It is not always about a fight. They miss out if they don't read the Bible because it has scriptures that tells how to improve our character, to achieve goals, serve others and serve God, serving God is for our own benefit as well as His.

To love God gives life. How?
              How can we love God
              with body, heart, mind and soul?

You must experience to love God and you will feel the goodness of life. Words can't always explain how to do it or the feeling you get… Love God with Body: Exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke or drink anything that'll hurt God's temple, don't sin against it.  Heart: Love Him and His Son with all that you have. Show love toward others when ordinarily you would not. God wants us to love one another as ourselves. Mind: Have your mind focussed on spiritual things at all times. Soul: Let the base of your being be for the glory of God. Sometimes, when applying spirituality to your life it helps you to go the extra mile.

Thank you for your acceptance of what is ture and sharing it.

Of what is true or truth do you mean? You are very welcome. May God bless you with the answers to your questions.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

As someone who has spent a bit of time around biker's bars, I'd like to say that there are very few places safer at 3 in the morning than a biker bar.

The hounds of hell wouldn't get to you in there.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

If we have no fear we will do a lot of stupid things and probably end up broke and maimed. Rational fear has an important function.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's true. And the bible says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fear is not a bad thing... living in fear is crippling though.

Yes Beth37, You are absolutely correct. Fear of the Lord should be because if we don't fear the Lord then we'll be defeated if we are against Him. If we fear Him He gives us wisdom to be victorious. We are not to fear man. on the contrary. Thanks for joining in.

1. profile image0

Matthew 10:26-29

26 “So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.

Hey Beth37, I love that response. I didn't know that you were as spiritual and well endowed... By the way, I've been following you but you're not following me. What's up with that? -sad

1. profile image0

Oh Im very sorry... I don't usually keep up with who follows me. I don't follow someone just cause they follow me, I haven't even looked at your page, so sorry. I usually just follow someone if there is something about their specific hubs that I don't want to lose (recipes etc). If I add a ton of hubbers then I would have to wade thru a lot of authors to get to the ones I'm looking for. I hope you're not offended. It didn't occur to me that any one was paying attention.

Well anyway Beth37, check out my cabbage recipe. Try it and let me know how it tasted. Thanks

You have a lot of really great hubs! You evidently have a great passion for life! Thanks for passing the enthusiasm! I am leery of following you because of that forum post you just posted. You said you regretted it but, it was a little over the top, as far as what we are used to here. I am surprised you did not get more naysayers there. I think its cuz I steered it into the realm of decency.

Forgive me for that post. I can't take it back but I can make up for it. I'll befriend all the offenders.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

If you have no fear you are not afraid of being uncool. You are not afraid of telling others important truths, you are not afraid of appearing weird, odd or unusual.
    *You are not afraid of going into LA. and getting the homeless to produce works of art (by providing all the supplies) and setting up gallery spaces to allow them to show and sell their works.
    *You are not afraid to volunteer in soup kitchens, or helping at community shelters, etc.
    *You rescue pets, you provide transition centers for them to find homes.
    *If you are not afraid, you are filled with the enthusiasm to help God in all humanity and nature.
    *And you speak-up to defend and help the downtrodden...
    without expecting the government to do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)