The NRA proposes a policeman in all public schools.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Sounded like an advertisement to sell more guns! If they think it's such a good idea, perhaps they should offer to pay for those services instead of the American taxpayer! I read about a lot of innocent people getting killed but rarely hear about the good guy protecting himself by shooting the bad guy with the bad guy getting killed! Instead they seem to play off of peoples fears to sell more guns! What do you think?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The conservatives are always griping about the cost of public servants, what is it going to cost to turn public and private schools into armed camps because they want to confer their general lack of civility to everybody in the society?.

Stay tune for the next episode "As the stomach turns'

1. BloodRedPen profile image67
        BloodRedPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Armed Camps" !!!! OH! PLEASE!!! Lets get real. All that was per-posed was armed security. And even a crazy person isn't going to pick a target location where he knows someone is there that can shoot back. Armed security acts as a deterrent.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image73
          Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! That is why there are never any bank robberies! It must be because there are no armed guards in banks...Maybe banks don't know that armed security acts as a deterrent- and the shootings at the Capitol in 1998- same there- but I think the Capitol police lost two of their own on that day.

Oh! And Columbine had an armed security guard, too! That worked well!

Jillian - Banks where I live haven't used armed guards in years. Just a lot of cameras. and die packs in the stolen money. The armed guards are still employed by armored truck companies. I haven't heard of a armored truck robbery since what ??? The 1930s. But lots bank robbery.

1. Jillian Barclay profile image73
              Jillian Barclayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually don't go to Wikipedia, but you need to read more:
              "As of 2010, the three largest cash robberies ever committed on American soil were all carried out in 1997. In all three robberies, the target was an armored car or the storage facility of an armored car firm.

This September 1997 Dunbar Armored robbery - at $18.9 million (roughly 47% recovered) still considered the "largest cash robbery" in U.S. history - is similar in size to the March 1997 Loomis Fargo armored car robbery by Philip N. Johnson ($18.8 million, 95% recovered) and the unrelated October 1997 Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery ($17.3 million, 95% recovered).

These three robberies were the first to surpass the previous holder of the title "largest cash robbery" in U.S. history, the $7.1 million of the White Eagle robbery in September 1983."

In California, we still have armed guards at most banks- banks here are robbed all the time...

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
                Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They starting posting unarmed security guards at Trader Joe's in Long Beach, California. I asked what it was about and I learned that customers were being harassed outside the store.

In the city of Los Angeles, the mayor has just ordered a pair of police to do a walk-through on every campus every day. That's a start. I do not understand why people are afraid of this. Kids see cops everywhere else with guns and watch maybe 50 murders a week on TV. So I don't think the kids are the problem with having trained police officers on campuse.

My favorite securty story was asking a guard at the Oregon Health Secience University what happens when someone shows up with a gun on campus. (the man's a trained cop, moonlighting, right?) He said, "We call 9-1-1-."

2. movingout profile image60
          movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bloodredpen...You're dreaming! To think a crazy person wouldn't pick an armed location.

Ok lets take the last two big news makers - Colorado movie theater (Sign in lobby - This is a gun free zone) . Gee !!! Colorado is a (open carry) state. Most everyone has a gun. But not in that movie theater. And news item two - An elementary school. Lots of targets NO GUNS.
            We all can agree I hope -  that if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. Because outlaws don't care about the law. So given that logic . The most effective way to stop a bad guy with a gun - is a good guy with a gun. Wow !!! Where did I hear that LOL smile

3. Don W profile image82
          Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? So a mass shooting on a military base would never happen then? Oh hang on, it did.

And guess what !!! That home grown  Islamic terrorist knew no-one would be armed where he opened fire. The MPs had to be alerted. They had guns.

4. Credence2 profile image78

Do any you guys appreciate the sheer gravity of what it is you are suggesting? There is not a comparable society as part of western civilization that would revert to who lives and dies is based upon who is quickest on the draw! Whether you like it or not, with guns available as easily as I procure my McRib sandwich, what else can happen?

What is wrong with America and particularly the rightwing to suggest such a horrid thing? How come the Europeans are so much more relatively peaceful in comparison, it could well be a most interesting topic for a hub, don't you think?

Those outside of the U.S. I like to hear some of your opinions

ONE - Guns are not that easy to get (Legally) TWO - It took a lot of American lives ( of the greatest generation) to bail Europe out and save them from a tyrannical dictator and themselves. BAD BAD Americans

1. Credence2 profile image78

BRP, you tell me, can not anyone who currently lacks a criminal record over the age of 18 purchase a firearm. That is not too dificult.

You did not answer the second question, why are you getting off on this BAD BAD Americans stuff?

The background check can be two weeks. You can't walk in off the street and buy a gun. Like you buy a sandwich. As you implied.

If you think the American culture is so violent and European culture  is so much more civilized and peaceful. I was just drawing a comparison.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
                  tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

During this last catastrophe, the boy took his mother's guns, killed her, then set out to destroy the lives of innocent children...All of the laws in place can not stop these acts...At least this idea is better than arming the teachers!

2. movingout profile image60
              movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not easy to get? Have you visited ebay, newspaper classified, and facebook gun sites for sale? It's extemely easy to get a gun in many states!

2. peoplepower73 profile image90
      peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We currently have Air Marshals in all commercial passenger planes.  But they have a captive audience for a given amount of time.  Just picture para-military police at our public schools.  What would they do all day while they are protecting the school?  It's not like the air marshals where they are all together in an airplane.  in order to take down a mass killer, you have to be in the same time and place as that person.  How is that managed?  With high capacity assault rifles, they could have a mass killing before the guard even arrived on the scene.  Our children would be growing up with para-military guards.  I hate to say this, but it's starting to look a lot like NAZI Germany.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. Moreover, hiring, training, arming and paying security guards would be expensive. we can't even afford to pay our teachers.

1. tammybarnette profile image60

+1

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91

peoplepower73 The U.S. already has more private security guards than it has cops: 2 million of them. Nazi Germany used the national security services to execute Jews and Gypsies. I don't feel like I'm in that kind of danger from these private operations. 

YET, Academi—previously known as Xe Services LLC; Blackwater USA and Blackwater WorldwideXi (aka Blackwater) has a private army within the U.S. to propect rich people and their property during crises..That concerns me more than security guards at schools. They have a 7000 acre training ground in North Carolina, beefed up with attack planes and helicopters, as well as armored vehicles.They were out in full force after Huricane Katrina protecting property.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sure did. Not What the country, NRA or gun owners need right now. Time for new leadership at NRA?

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

This was actually the case in my high school, and in Columbine.  Look how well that worked out.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

After the NRA announcement, one person (I guess NRA-related) said that if someone is unarmed and attacked by a shooter, they're 'part of the problem.'

That's a bit like blaming the victim, IMO.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I built sand sculpture in many shopping Malls throughout the USA for over 3 decade. Too many security guards wear bullet proof vests and a few others had Guns

Sure allow easier asses for kids to play with guns, build a Satan's playground too. I enjoyed those old High Noon westerns, now I can watch for them on the news.

Fun with Gun and fight clubs HEEE - HAWWW!!! or is that JIHAAAD

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Around the world I've see guns at many boarder crossings.
        America, malls and schools Oh my,

Give every kid a nuclear bomb kit for X mas allow him to bring it to church mass on Sundays for show

When dose it stop, please STOP IT

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

In the school where I taught, we always had two armed police officers on duty. I don't think it's a bad idea - not just for safety.

Many teens hate law enforcement, but our officers were very good with the students and took the time to get to know them. I think this helped bridge the gap. The students were able to see police as helpful instead of just as someone "out to get them."

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91

Wow, adding a bit of sanity to the discussion!

2. tammybarnette profile image60

One of the highschools I went to growing up had an armed guard and a gated entrance...The idea sounds good, but, this particular highschool was far more dangerous than the other one I attended without a guard. Still, I am not sure this is a bad idea, I just don't think it's enough...I am so worried about the future I have been thinking of home schooling my 4 yr old.

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They do that here, at least in the high school, as well.  Not sure about middle schools and I don't think the elementary schools have one, but the high schools do.

4. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

Just how many armed security guards are you going to put in our schools? One at the back door, front door, side doors, kitchen door, maintanance door, gym door? As you can see, the NRA's proposal makes no sense!

5. K J Page profile image59
    K J Pageposted 11 years ago

They have officers in the schools here. There are security officers in malls and in airports. And the worst school massacre took the lives of 45 children and some adults as well. And it wasn't guns - its was a bomb...

6. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

The NRA are missing the point. The issue is that the normal, law-abiding citizen finds it too difficult to find weapons to defend themselves. What they definitely do not need is more police-presence, passing off responsibility to the state, again. In my opinion, the police should operate like the fire department: just as you only see firefighters when there is a fire, you should only see police when there is a crime. The constant reminder that you're being watched by police is the sign of a police state.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

We can agree on this!

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with innersmiff, the NRA don't get it and their answer only protects gun manufacturers and dealers - the ones lining their pockets. As far as home defense, using a gun is a messy ordeal when used in a home invasion. Not only do the homeowner have to patch up any bullet hole(s) in the wall and clean up the blood, they can be in deep sh*t with the law. When an armed homeowner is confronted with an intruder, chances are they'll hesitate on pulling the trigger due to fear of reprecussions from the law (depending where you live), the idea of possibly killing the assh**e, or other consence reason. When there's a shooting, there's always the investigation about stuff like was the homeowner's life really in danger, etc, etc especially in states where they don't have castle laws. An alternative would to use nonlethal force on an invader such as pepper spray (followed up with a stun gun or baseball bat) or better yet, the taser (that same nasty million volt item that law enforcement uses that anyone can get online for about $350). There's no hestitation on using the taser since there's a 99.9% survival rate to the intruder (unless the idiot  has a heart condition), no fuss and huge investigation compaired to using a gun, and no bullet holes or blood to clean up unless the idiot smacked his head on something when hitting the ground.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)