NRA Is A Week Loud Mouth Association

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (39 posts)
  1. LucidDreams profile image64
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

Why fear the NRA? There is no need. They are like the bully who will cry if you actually fight back. If the NRA wants to continue to have some say in this political world, they need to straighten up and start offering up some solutions and constructive ideas or just go away for good!

See video and laugh at their so called power!

http://egbertowillies.com/2013/01/10/ra … nra-video/

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's only interested in the profits of its corporate sponsors. Case in point. The person the N.R.A. has put in charge of  its 'task-force' for looking into the idea of armed guards in schools, Asa Hutchinson, also happens to be a director of the private security and training company, Securitas: 

"At a no-questions press conference in late December . . . Wayne LaPierre announced a bold new multibillion-dollar proposal to end school shootings: Put an armed security guard or police officer in every school in the country. LaPierre commissioned a special task force to develop the plan, and deputized Asa Hutchinson, a former Republican congressman from Arkansas and director of the Drug Enforcement Agency under President George W. Bush, to head the effort.

But there's something the LaPierre didn't mention: Hutchinson sits on the board of directors of Pinkerton Government Services, a subsidiary of one of the nation's largest private security contractors, Securitas. And if the NRA's—and Hutchinson's—proposals are enacted into law, Securitas, a firm Hutchinson once lobbied for in Washington, could stand to score big."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 … s-lobbyist

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am alternately laughing and wretching at Rachel Maddow's fear of Republicans.    Sheesh.   I hope her salary allows for payment to a counselor.   She seriously needs it if she's to be taken seriously as a newswoman or commentator.   As it stands, she's simply a ranting Leftist who's scared herself and trying to scare everyone else.   She's the one who's trying to elicit fear and inject it into Americans.   Every WEEK she shows her own weakness via HER loud mouth.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What does that has to do with the NRA and gun control? The same can be said to the freak shows on FOX News.

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, the title of this thread and the original post brought it into it.   My answer was right in line with that.   That's what my post has "to do with it".

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

All they are interested in is protecting the intrests of gun manufacturers and dealers. Their board of directors consists of members from the firearm industry.

LucidDreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, kind of sad that they are not willing to put forth some real idas that may actually help.

2. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One problem is that with the current media situation I have little faith either side is getting their story out there and if they are is it correctly conveied without the spin from the right or left or the media? I see the point on both sides but the answers seem to sway against the lawful gun owner. That is not to say that some things could be addressed. High volume clips might have some validity in curbing but being there are so many out there now would it make any difference to limit their sale? As far as ammunition is concerned there is no chance that you can get on top of this also. Since Obamas election records sales have been recorded that dwarf and effort to limit sales of it now.

I can see your point, on the other hand, even with the mass guns and amunition already in circulation, if we don't start doing something, it can only get worse. Starting somewhere is crucial.

3. LucidDreams profile image64

Good information....no surprise there eh? Kind of like saying the way to stop alchoholism is to make more booze.

1. BloodRedPen profile image68
      BloodRedPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually you make a good point. Study the time of Prohibition. When alcohol was illegal alcoholism and crime related to alcohol soared. When it was legalized again the society got a handle on it. Prohibition inspired the economy. People like the Kennedy family made their fortunes running rum from islands. Sounds like an interesting way to inspire the economy. If it worked with alcohol it should work with guns.

Whatever works and doesn't make things worse is fine by me!

Alcohol and firearms are apples and oranges. During the days of prohibition, it was perfectly legal to own a fully automatic machine gun, silencer, and sawed off shot gun. You can thank guys like Al Capone for getting those things banned without special permit (you and I would not qualify for this permit). Since then, how many crimes were commited by the common street thug using a machine gun or silencer?

4. LucidDreams profile image64

Here is a thought, maybe if we consider making guns harder to get, we won't need to spend so much time defending ourselves with guns against other who have guns! Less gun equals.....harder to get guns! Doesn't mean no-one will ever use guns in crimes or for other purposes, just means it will be more difficult. Or....we could just leave things the way they are.....seems like that is working out pretty good for us!

Besides banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines along with universal background checks and annual firearm registrations, the government can impose high taxes on guns and especially ammunition. If a .233 round costs $10-$20 each, that would be quite a deterrent.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The government could also require the purchase of insurance as in the case of cars.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's not a bad idea, Ralph, but I'm not sure how it would work in real life situations. If John purchased a gun, along with the required insurance, and the gun was stolen and used in a crime, would John's insurance cover that?

Our problem isn't responsible gun owners - it's irresponsible gun owners, criminals, and the mentally/emotionally impaired. I assure you that I'll never go on a shooting spree with my guns. I could be wrong here, as I haven't researched it, but it seems like several "shooting sprees" have occurred in areas where gun ownership isn't prevalent. In my neck of the woods, everyone has a gun or two, but I've never heard of any mass shootings here. Sure, there have been murders committed with guns, but the shooter had a specific target and wasn't killing as many "random" people as possible.

I grew up with guns - lots of guns. My dad was a hunter/collector/gun dealer. I was taught to respect firearms as a little kid, and it never crossed my mind to play with one. Dad took me target shooting and skeet shooting when I was a kid, and he taught me all about gun safety. Many children in the Deep South grow up in similar situations. We're used to being around guns, so the "fascination factor" usually isn't there.

Dad was a lifelong member/supporter of the NRA, but I'm not sure he'd approve of today's organization. I like some of the programs provided by the NRA, like Eagle Eddie, firearms/hunting safety courses, hunting guides, and shooting competitions. BUT...I don't agree with some of the group's stands or the positions of many of its members.

1. movingout profile image60
            movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We actually had 15 gun related incidents just last month alone. Guns and gangs are a problem here in the deep south. Just not reported. Last month only 2 were in the paper. Business breakins after hours are also running rampant down here.

2. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Considering gun crimes are almost always committed with stolen guns, I doubt the perpetrators care how much the guns or ammo cost those they stole them from, nor how much red tape the legitimate owners had to go through to get them.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

What is it that keeps you guys from understanding that the NRA is but a  lobbyist for sports man ?  Yes of course they too are a P.A.C. ,  surely you don't have a problem with that !  I am a gun owner  and I'm not worried in the least that my guns will be taken away from me !  Do I worry about that ......no and niether  should you !  What you SHOULD be worried about is what would happen after they did that .   Teachers have a PAC , boaters do as well ,  farmers , foresters and  the media as well ....Are you saying sportsmen alone don't deserve representation ?Hmmm?

1. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are a lobbyists for the firearms industry. They don't give a hoot about the constitution or public health. If they could make money by scrapping the constitution, they would be on the other side of the fence and you know it. Their motivation is $$$. Those who think otherwise are either utterly naive, completely foolish or just plain liars, in my opinion.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

The NRA may have begun as a "lobbyist for sportsmen," but it has since evolved as a lobbyist for gun manufacturers and dealers. It's positions have little or nothing of importance to outdoorsmen or target shooters.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this
        1. tammybarnette profile image60
          tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have seen part of this on television, the end of the video where they call our POTUS an elitist is not played here...I am mortified. The NRA are obviously not patriots! They are Not Real Americans! I am so sickened that after the bitter election the far Right and all it's lobbyist continue to stir the pot of hate and division in this country...This is truly pathetic and so sad, I can not imagine the horror of the poor families that lost their loved ones...this adds insult to injury...can the bar be set any lower, how low will they go!

Last night Lawrence O'Donnell ripped NRA spokesman and board member Tom Selleck and  several billionaire gun manufacturer members. Unfortunately, O'Donnell's rant against Selleck isn't yet available on YouTube. He's been ripping NRA for a year or two. Here's one from last December:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxl6901i1BM

And here's a list of the ___NRA board members:

http://www.meetthenra.org/board-list

Good ole Grover Norquist:
              "Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), the organization Norquist founded in 1985, has been used as a clearinghouse for conservative ideas. It publishes the “Taxpayer Protection Pledge,” which calls on lawmakers to swear to never vote for any legislation that would raises taxes, no matter how modestly. The pledge—which counted over 95% of Republican House and Senate members as signatories in the 112th Congress—is considered “a sacred covenant for virtually anyone wishing to run as a Republican” by the New York Times. U.S. Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) said that Norquist “threaten[s] all these guys here for the first time by saying he’ll send mailers, press releases and make it known to their constituents that they aren’t conservative” if they refuse to sign the pledge. ATR has a number of “special projects,” including the Alliance for Worker Freedom (AWF), an anti-labor group. While Norquist now refuses to disclose who funds ATF, in the past the organization has received money from the Koch Brothers, Phillip Morris, Pfizer and other corporate interests."

"Norquist and his pledge played a prominent role in the 2011 debt ceiling crisis, with many commentators accusing him of preventing a bipartisan deal to resolve the crisis. Chis Cillizza of the Washington Post called Norquist “the most important person in the debt ceiling fight.” In July 2011, Republican signatories to the pledge met with Norquist and “begged” him to release them from their obligation in order to resolve the ongoing debt ceiling crisis. After the debt ceiling crisis was resolved, former Senator Alan Simpson (R-WY), co-chair of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, called Norquist “a good guy with a very bad idea.” “Grover Norquist should be examined into,” suggested Simpson. “Where does he get his money? ... Who is he slave to? ... How does he terrify people?”

"Finally, Norquist is well known for chairing the Wednesday meetings, a weekly off-the-record, invitation-only meeting of GOP and
              conservative operatives (including NRA operatives), lobbyists, and reporters. During the Bush presidency, attendance at the meeting numbered in the hundreds."

Ahhh, how things add up....

Norquist is on the NRA board of directors. In my mind he and David Koch are tied for the most evil man in America.

+1 Ralph, It seems to me that the Conservative Party has been hijacked from Big Business. They use their ideology against them. Their only desire for small government is in order to starve the government and shift all legislative power to those powers that be, whom of course care not for the majority of Americans, or freedom, or the Constitution.

3. LucidDreams profile image64

Ahorseback,

I think that people here are only concerned with safety for fellow americans. Nobody is saying that sportsmen do not deserve a authority who represents and believes in your rights as a gun owner. The only thing is, Seems like the NRA is irresponsible in the way they do this!

6. LucidDreams profile image64

No, not saying that, would like to see them a bit more responsible though!

7. profile image0

There is probably not a P.A.C. that is any more responsible , you should one day check out how many NRA sponsoring activities there are in the sporting world !  from the boy scouts  to the schools !  Whats with this ? We need a bad boy for the day ! In a month you can move on to another controvercy !

I;m not that worried about moving on to another controvery.. I have always had a problem with the out of control gun killing and mis-handling in the USA. Too many idiots with guns.

8. profile image0

My friend , "idiots with guns ", in the real world ,merely melts down the simply "Idiots " ,however  the idiosy is quite often more painfully prevailant in the those who may never understand that its the plauge  of the blinded who refuse to see reality at all costs !.....:-}

That may just be you. Not see reality at all cost. Anything to protect gun rights! Kind of sad to be honest!

1. profile image54
        whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not gun rights, guns have no rights. We are trying to protect Constitutional rights, are you not in favor of our constitution? Are you not in favor of the protections held within it?

Some, yes. Some, no.

1. profile image54
            whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really, which rights do you not like? I mean aside from the second amendment that you work hard to do away with.

9. profile image0

............................"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

10. profile image0

Period !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)