Billionaire Carlos Slim says we are at 1929. Quoted on CNBC

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 14 years ago

His buddy, Michelle Carusa Cabrerra in CNBC quoted him as saying we are at 1929. Watch out.

1. Christenstock profile image57
      Christenstockposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He just said this recently? Wow...a day late, and a dollar short. I can't wait for October 27 then. Woo hoo!

2. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a huge difference between then and now.  In the 30's america was 70% rural and 30% urban.  During the Great Depression we were still a rural society and people could clump up on farms in large extended families or even further and nobody had jacked up property taxes through a housing bubble to take the family farm. 

Basically my point is that people could eat.

IF we get that same circumstance now, with 70% urban and 30%, maybe even less, rural... and with increasing numbers of people booted out of their homes and rents increasing to take advantage of that (capitalism at it's finest!  gouge em while you can)... what is going to happen to all the hungry people now?

I predict an unbelieveable crime epidemic.  People are going to feed their families, regardless.  No one is going to sit around saying, 'well gee the rich people won't leave us enough to buy food so I guess I'll just let my children starve'.

We are living in interesting times, the worst Chinese fortune cookie one could ever receive.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL I've been saying that for a couple of years already - so what? In fact we are most likely to have it worse than then...

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you packed yet Misha?

2. onthewriteside profile image59
      onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha....believe me....it's way worse.  the next step is to internationalize the national banks.  That will curb things for a while, but the ultimate outcome will be even more catastrophic.  Fractional banking is, by its very design, a dead end street.  The problem is that the people that propagate it don't care as long as they can figure a way to curtail the inevitable.

Otherwriteside, I think you meant to say delay the inevitable, and I agree. Even after they devalue the hell out of this much debt and drive inflation up in doing so, how can that much debt be repaid?

1. onthewriteside profile image59

you're right earnest...i stand corrected.  But if our government is already paying China in Ameros, then what do they care about the valuation of the dollar?  Is China so stupid that they would take payment in a currency they thought would never come to fruition?  I'm sure all these "banks" (i.e the powers that are) have taken measures to cover their own asses in preparation for when the transition hits....

No, I fear that China will factor in the inflation and want constant adjustments. I am not sure there will be much future other than paying money back in to a system where any real money continues to fall in to rich pockets.

Well that has been the case for a long time.  Ever since the creation of the Fed, our tax dollars have gone to nothing other than paying down our national debt.  I'm talking about income tax here.  The Fed is NOT a government entity, nor is the IRS...that is a fact.  Not a single dollar of "income tax" has ever contributed to any governmental program, including military (with the exception of black ops and some federal salary budgets).  The Fed is a domestic representative of "foreign" (and by that I mean multi-national private) interests in this country, and the IRS is nothing more than a goon squad collecting on bets we never knew we made.

1. profile image0

interesting description.

I agree the economy is in shambles and I predicted that in print back when everyone was still on the high hog.

I like the way the market writers were all predicting an increase in consumer confidence Monday and the market immediately fell that day.  I knew it would because I had been up that night tracking FTSE and other European markets and Asia and they had all dropped.  The finance sector likes to try to induce mass amnesia by 'suggesting' we're on an upswing and hoping that in itself builds 'consumer confidence'.  I knew it wouldn't wash.  We're in for another big drop, imo, and pretend confidence by a few rich people isn't going to be enough to stop it.  The dollar has no real value and everything they do to try to shore up the market through illusion just makes it worse.

They should just stop and let everything drop until what's left is real and we can see what is possible to do with it.  What we don't need now is any more lies.

I agree.  As an ex-broker, the only thing I would touch right now are commodities and small start-ups in the commodities areas.  Blue chips are a thing of the past...especially if the government gets a hold of them.  As far as bonds go, stick with municipalities...the Fed notes will always be guaranteed, but who knows what currency is going to be in place when they finally pay out.  7% on your dollar is going to amount to less than 1% if the Amero actually happens.

1. profile image0

you guyz have got me very interested in the Amero.  I'm on the verge of taking up researching it.  I don't know what to think about that, I just haven't studied it at all.

I remain interested in everyone's comments on it.

2. earnestshub profile image79

Now that is a solid comment!

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I finally put all the passports and other documents in order, just completed a couple of weeks ago - so I can move any day now. smile

Good show. I know that like all of us you hope the economy survives, but hell I wouldn't be counting on it if I had a choice either. Good luck mate!

4. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

It's more like 1930-1931.  The government is scrambling to try to spend our way to prosperity.  What remains to be seen is if they'll continue to further destroy the economy or let it be so the economy can heal.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the point he's trying to make is that we all think it's 1930-31, but in fact we're only at 1929 and therefore by far the worst is still to come.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)