To all hubbers: My Sincere Apologies. And I'm bending over!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Hi,

About a week ago, I started a thread on Nigerian Child witches in the religious forums.
    This was after seeing a documentary about this horrific practice. I wanted to ask the religious experts how this could possibly be done by churches in the name of God.

Well, as you can imagine, this did not stay on topic, and resulted in about 600 posts over a few days. One of the newer hubbers wanted to duke it out with Mark Knowles, so I suggested that he start a new thread and take the topic out of mine.

He did this, and the result was the "Athiests are illogical, boring, etc." thread that has now received more than 900 posts in 4 days. Inspirepub is doing her best to moderate that thread, and is doing an awesome job keeping the religious hordes somewhat in line.

So there is talk of starting additional threads to discuss the off topic "rabbit holes" that people are bringing up.

So, my sincere apologies for your Hubtivity being clogged up with all this stuff. Hopefully it will settle down soon.

So if you want retaliate and need someone's bum to kick  - I'm bending over.

Cheers, Eric G.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what happens when you post unsubstantiated stuff, that simply aims at damaging a whole country's image on the entire world wide web - that's what you really should be apologizing for.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You promised to submit proof to me there are no children in Nigeria that have been accused of being witches.

How's that going ?

(And unfortunately you saying "I live a few hours from that area, have been there millions of times, and it's just too beautiful for anything like that to happen there" is nowhere near what anyone would regard as proof.)

1. profile image0

I promised no such thing. Accofranco did. Typical of a westerner to mistake one african with another. You think I'm gonna bust my ass trying to prove anything to you. You really must think a lot about yourself, dont ya. You're a real prince, you know that. A true royalty. Next time, I'll remember to bow, Sir Eric. And if I forget, whip my back with a damn horse whip. That should show me real good. Keep spreading crap about my country, Eric. More grease to your royal elbows.

2. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

Definately no fault of yours, everybody loves to argue with Mark, it is because they just can't win.  The thread was very informative and I was glad to see it.  As usual, things are always turned around and there you go.  Let's start a new Hub on why we are hubbing at 8:3estern time and not doing the 'firework" thing, it is dead in the hubtivity, the only thing to do is write more hubs, I guess.
    dori

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They can't win because he won't stay on point.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Not to worry.

If it isn't one thread from religion or politics clogging up hubtivity it's another one...and it probably will always be that way.

And let's not forget the 100 Hub Challenge stuff that you were frustrated with...and which I loved.

Off to watch the Boston Pops and fireworks on TV!

4. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

I have one, why does all of my hubs have google ads for white teeth. my swine flu hub has no ads relevant at all. Is there anything I can do
    dori

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

In the past I have felt people are too worried about hubtivity being clogged.  Those threads are funny to read, and evidentally people enjoy participating.

6. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I don't think you have anything to apologize for Eric.  You brought attention to something that interested you and it took a life of it's own.  That's the nature of a public forum.  Maybe HP should put google ads in the forums and credit them with the original poster...lol

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I don't enjoy them at all. But I've learned just to click on the 3 forums I do enjoy, and see what people there are posting. I do my best to ignore the Politics, Religion, and Sandpit.

8. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I really like the way Hubpages is currently, and honestly I am happy with the current structure.  If some of the people who want to control certain aspects of the site more were in charge, I think much of the freedom we enjoy about this site would go by the wayside.  I may not want to participate in every single forum as it were, but it is good people have the freedom to do so.  I really would not want to see religion and politics go to the sandpit personally.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too SweetiePie! I think hubpages is just fine the way it is. I cop a bit on the religious forums, and hand it out as well. Any forum is just that, and limiting them would lessen the experience not improve it.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always enjoy reading your responses smile.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you SweetiePie, I always enjoy reading yours too! smile SweetiePie, I saved my first ever smiley for you... I use them very sparingly in the interest of truth.

I am flattered then earnest!

2. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sweetiepie, sorry if I was confusing. I wasn't suggesting that Religion or Politics go into the Sandpit. I was just commenting that I have worked out my own system for ignoring those three forums.

Nelle,

I am not saying that you think religion and politics would should go to the sandpit, but there are probably some out there who would like these topics to go there.

9. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Nothing to apologize for Eric.  I've yet to see a forum topic that stayed on topic.  They all get hijacked and spin off in some obscure direction never to return.  We're all used to it.

10. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Naw, Eric-

You did no such bad thing!  Let them blather themselves silly for all I care.  I'll wonder about the 1000's of postings, but let freedom of expression and speech reign!  (I reserve my right to come in and question their sanity, a bit of course, though, too.)

1. RedElf profile image91
      RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll admit that I'm with you although I do tend to shy away from "high emotion" forums, lol. They certainly can be interesting and sometimes entertaining to read, though. Guess it's my early training...once our dad hit officers' country (he came up through the ranks), we quickly learned that some topics were just not suitable in the mess (military for dining hall), and they were forbidden at formal mess dinners.

The three forbidden things are to discuss religion, politics, or mention a lady's name (kiss and tell). These rules probably evolved to keep them from killing each other, after all, they did used to wear swords, lol.

That dictum gradually washed over into our household. Even though we did discuss those things around our dinner table, as I'm sure they did at mess dinners after the ladies retired, we learned to tread lightly on the "sacred ground"...not bad training for the care of the feelings of others smile

...and good for you Eric, for bringing such things to our attention.

11. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

I was informed of the Nigerian Witch children Eric and made a donation.  Don't see how that was a bad thing.  Thank you again.

1. profile image0

You got suckered. This here is the whole point of all that propaganda. To sucker innocent westerners, who dont know any better about Africa, other than it being a land of swinging ape men into paying up. Gawd.

12. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Sorry you have such a bad opinion of your country.  It was mentioned several times that the thread was not personal to Nigeria.  You stopped visiting otherwise you would have read many posts that said so.  I don't feel suckered at all, but thanks for your concern.

Remember the thread was addressing how pentacostal preachers were taking advantage of innocent children for monetary gain.

13. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Well, if it was Accofranco, you have my apology for my above statement.

He hasn't submitted any proof either.

fierycj, you don't need anyone to whip you.
    You're doing a damn fine job of it yourself.

There's no need to waste any more time responding to you.

1. profile image0

Fool.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)