Taking Bets

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge are expecting the birth of their first child momentarily.  Do you think it will be a boy or a girl?

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Yawn.

Whatever it is, it will be overprivileged, overpaid and underworked and a further drain on my taxes.

3. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 10 years ago

Who cares? Whatever they have there will be constant photos splashed all over and the kid will never be left alone. It will be Princess Diana all over again.

4. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

WOW!  I thought Brits were really excited about this.

1. HollieT profile image80
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many of us have royalty fatigue. Sick of contributing to their scandalously luxurious lifestyle and sick of seeing Catherine in the *season's latest frock*

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why so many people turned out for the Queen's big anniversary celebration.  From a distance, it looks like people in the UK love the monarchy (except for Prince Charles).

Some people in the Uk do love monarchy, some are indifferent to them and some opposed. I just find some of the news distasteful. For example, in this rotten age of austerity, there are disabled people, people with mental health problems and learning difficulties who are struggling to survive because they've been deemed fit for work by ATOS- they're having to go to food banks and some are living on the streets, and then the news is full of Catherine's baby and how they're having a two million (I think this is the correct sum) revamp of *one of the palaces* to ensure that it's fit for them. So many people are struggling to make ends meet that this just seems way too extravagant.

I hear you.  But I still hope the best for the baby and it will be a more historic event if it's a girl.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Girl.

And I think the monarchy beats a president as a way to separate state and military.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

The monarchy symbolise privilege.  No little boy or girl can hope to be a Prince or Princess - except in Disney World.  They stand for the worst in life - a few gilded people who have 'achieved' something by being born.

I absolutely and uncategorically loathe the Royal Family and all they stand for - and the rest of the hangers on.  We go to war over our fake democracy, dropping bombs on innocent families who happen to be brown, Muslim or just different, and yet we celebrate a family that has not been voted for.

In a small moment of honesty on TV a while back - the Queen was visiting Ireland.  They asked a sweet old Irish lady what she thought of the Royal visit.  She told them what for.  In a clear and brief statement she explained exactly why she had no time for them.

There are people starving on the streets of Britain while the media and politicians pretend that the people are celebrating.  Not everyone does.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The royal parasites are loathed by many in Wales, where I live.

Why is Charles called 'the Prince of Wales' but his wife is called 'the Duchess of Cornwall?'

Due to the Royal family's rather antiquated and narcissistic sense of entitlement and superiority.

If any of you writes a Hub about the perception of the monarchy, I want to read it!

I try to write balanced hubs, I really don't think I could in this scenario.

She'll give birth to a boy. IMHO. smile

Well, Charles owns and exploits a large part of Cornwall and is therefore also called duke thereof. Camilla was not given the P-ess.oW title because it was felt by those who worry about such things to be an affront to the sainthood of Charlie's previous wife, who had little brain but immense abilities to flutter eyelashes and manipulate the media.

Actually, Wales is currently not a principality, so the PoW title is incorrect anyway. Some in Wales consider Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, who was slaughtered in 1282 by the English (Saeson) to be the last Prince of Wales. The great hero Owain Glyndwr, who disappeared during the revolt he led against the Saeson in 1412, was also voted into the title by his supporters, so is considered by others to be the last Prince of Wales. Either way, many here in Wales consider Charlie a usurper to this title.

I just have a problem with the Prince title. Which man has the right to be a prince? The title would indicate that he is in someway superior to other men, purely by birthright.

Why is there a monarchy at all if Parliament runs the government?  Why did it allow for a 'constitutional  monarchy?'

Superficially, the Queen is the head of parliament. However, arguably she has no political power, and arguably she does, she just chooses not to use it.

You decide.

It's curiouser and curiouser.  The baby is due today!

It was a compromise, which both sides felt allowed them to retain the maximum advantage.

As for a hub about the subject, I fear it is not a topic of major interest. In particular, it will not be a topic of interest to the US denizens who work for a pittance at MTurk and decide the fate of all hubs. I am no longer willing to spend hours writing a hub only to have it idled by ignorant people.

2. Writer Fox profile image33

Well I want to read about all of this.  Please write a Hub!

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The presidency is essentially the same, but with added corruption and even more expensive. The reality can be a little different from the optics.

Consider: since 1789 we have had two female queens (despite this not really being allowed) and zero female presidents (despite this being totally allowed.) 

Both Bush and Elizabeth have a net worth in double-figure millions. Neither of these leaders represents me.

It is a matter of what kind of unfair privilege annoys you more.  At least the monarchy is pretty transparent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)