The hub of the day has a grammatical error in the title.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Frankly My Dear profile image82
    Frankly My Dearposted 10 years ago

Where is the quality control?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Frankly my dear...

2. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This isn't the first time.
      sad

3. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This goes back to what I was talking about yesterday: Hubbers who don't speak English as a first language, and suffer unnecessarily for it though they have otherwise stellar content.  I think I'll shoot weavesandbraids a message, and offer to edit her HOD for her ... I just hope she doesn't think I'm being pretentious (After all, she DOES have more accolades than me!).

1. profile image0

My hub score is 2 points higher than yours, therefore my English is 2% superior to yours.
        (If I get home from work and they have lowered my score yet again, I am going to do something super drastic.)

1. profile image0

LOL!  I can haz grammur teeps yer heyeniss??

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
            Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 LOL

2. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you do that, maybe you could ask her what this sentence means:

"The major advantage of oxygenated toothpaste is that has an effect on the germs that cause a special type of toothpaste with fresh oxygen infused into its formula."

Also, some of the images she says are in the public domain are not.  They are under licensing and she can use them, but they are not public domain and they need a different credit.

1. profile image0

Well, we'll see if she responds.  To be honest, I feel kind of like a jerk sending a message like that.  Who the H am I, after all??

1. Writer Fox profile image32
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you are a native English speaker and that you could save her from further embarrassment here.  It's not her fault that the Hub was selected and, therefore, held up for scrutiny. The editor who chose it should have been the one to edit, but obviously that didn't happen.

1. profile image0

How are HODs selected, anyway?  Probably something about that in the FAQs.  I'll have to check that out ...

1. janderson99 profile image53
                janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The results say more about the processes than the description.
                see   http://hubpages.com/hubs/oftheday

2. WriteAngled profile image73
          WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, well, what a surprise! Seems the HOTD selection robot slipped up yet again.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds spun to me. Or someone who sad down with a thesaurus smile

4. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting us know. We've emailed the author and asked her to make a few editing changes.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would, however, expect linguistically faulty hubs to be excluded at the selection stage! Quite frankly, this is an insult to those of us who care about grammar and style, let alone other factors such as factual accuracy. Personally, if I see an article with grammatical errors and typos, I immediately assume the author is illiterate, ignorant and thus an untrustworthy source of information. Shame on whichever HP minion let such garbage into HOTD, when it should have been denied publication for being trash!

1. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, HOTD is the public face of HP which heralds high quality and sets quality standards. What does Google and the general public say when the HOTD on the front page in neon signs, has glaring poor quality. This affects everyone who writes here. The same issues occurs over and over again. It trashes the brand.  Reputation lost is very hard to recover. This needs to be fixed.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

...I don't give a...

1. profile image0

shut yo mouth. lol

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It had to be done. If not by me, than by someone.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

It also has errors in the summary.  No need to wash your mouth out, Frankly MD; you spoke the truth!

4. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

HOTD trashes the brand. If quality control cannot be improved, or there is no will to do it. Drop it! IMO

5. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

Maybe fellow writers should be voting on which hubs should get Hub of the Day.

6. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

The most depressing thing about the HOD collection is the way that so many people have chosen such silly names for themselves. Three quarters of hubbers lose me as a reader before I have scanned a line of text.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your comment made me laugh, Will. I thought it was just me. There are some names that make me want to scream. And not in a good way. I can't click away soon enough.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, it isn't just me?  Sometimes, a name is amusing because it's tongue-in-cheek, but other times, I sit there wondering what the heck they were thinking by picking the name they did. If you are serious about making money writing, you are creating a brand, and you want people to trust that brand. Some names are so out there, how can you begin to take them seriously?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that it is such a big decision, and it isn't clear that it is not a changeable one at the beginning.  I chose a quick name just so I could get on the site and find my way around.  It was a while before I realized that I wanted to write about other topics, and yes I am sure that it looks strange for Millionaire Tips to write quilting and genealogy advice.  I suppose I could start a new name so I can write about anything, but my site is now established.

3. agilitymach profile image92
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes a chosen name means nothing to the those outside of the intended market.  Niche authors may choose a name that means nothing to the general market because they aren't writing for the general market.  Their name is meant to attract those "in the know."  Discarding an article because of the author's name would seem to me to be a loss for you - not them.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I found a GLARING typo in a subtitle of one of my older hubs today as I was doing some random editing. yikes
    As Linus said, "It's not a bad tree, Charlie Brown. It just needs a little love." It really wasn't a bad tree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)