Why Is The Media Infatuated With Homosexuals?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Asa2141 profile image66
    Asa2141posted 9 years ago

Every channel we turn to, the media is reporting something concerning homosexuality. Whether homosexual weddings, hate crimes, gay pride parades, does this or that football player agree with it? Is this politician for it? Does this business support it? They cannot stop talking about it!

And now the media is practically swooning over Michael Sam!

I want to hear everyone's opinion as to why this is!

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image61
      Nouveau Skepticposted 9 years agoin reply to this

About 5% of the population is gay, bisexual or transgender.  It is an area where a lot is happening in law and in society.  Why would the news media not be covering that? I am not gay but I find it totally newsworthy and in fact very interesting.

My question is why so much of the news is about boring things like sports? Maybe it is because the media broadcasts to the whole populations and lots of other people are interested in sports?

Asa2141posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I understand why it is being covered, but why do you think it is glorified? (And it is glorified, no matter what people try to say)

My mom used to say when I was young, "Football is what men play when there is no war to fight."

It is being normalized because gay people have civil rights and we live in a diverse and secular society.

Basically for the same reason that being Christian is normalized despite the fact I consider it weird and delusional. (But well within the rights of any citizen to purse freely).

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People of the LBGT community are human beings thus they are entitled to be treated with the utmost in human dignity.  They also deserve the fullest of human rights.  The marginalization of LBGT people,to many thinking, enlightened, and evolved people, is viewed as quite aberrant.  LBGT =OKAY!

If people disagree with homosexuality or think it is wrong, does that mean they are not as evolved?

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Socially and morally, they are not as evolved.  That is correct.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image61

It means they are intolerant and feel they should be able to control what other people do because ... some reason.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 in agreement!

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

How dare social change occur in my lifetime! How dare the oppressed demand equality! How dare the public raise awareness of social injustices!

HOW DARE THEY!!

Shut up. Just answer the question. I already have my opinions about WHY, I just want to know what everyone else thinks.

How about because it draws viewers?  That's usually why any media says/shows what it does...

I understand that. Why does it glorify homosexuality?

I have never seen a single report from any media that "glorifies" homosexuality.  To what do you refer?

2. Asa2141 profile image66

Start a new thread too please so I can keep this discussion just between me and Zelkirro. In other words don't replay to HIS comment; comment on the question.

Ah, I see you do like to be controlling, it seems.  But the fact is this is an open forum.  We all have equal rights to comment in this thread in any way that does not break the rules.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

No, it is not glorified at all.  It is showing the public that LBGT people are people just like everyone else.  It is showing LBGT people as just normal, everyday people who have feelings, hopes, and dreams.  This is FAR better than being bombarded with such "shows" as the Duggars, Bates, and other megafamilies circuses.   LBGT people AREN'T overpopulating the world and making worthwhile contributions to society.

So you are saying that homosexuals are "FAR better" than normal families? What worthwhile contribution has a homosexual made to society? ( not to be rude, but I honestly can't think of any)

You said they are just people like everyone else, but then said they are not overpopulating the world like everyone else?

And you still did not answer the question: If a person disagrees with homosexuality, does that mean he is less evolved?

Correction: "said they ARE overpopulating the world"

2. wilderness profile image96

From GM's post:

"...LBGT people are people just like everyone else.  It is showing LBGT people as just normal, everyday people..."

What kind of massive spin/twist/change have you applied to her post to produce "So you are saying that homosexuals are "FAR better" than normal families"?

3. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Alan Turing was a homosexual. He made a significant and worthwhile contribution to computing.

Homosexuals do not breed, how can they be overpopulating the world?

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Many LBGT people made significant contributions to society in politics, the arts and humanities, medicine, business, religion, and in entertainment.  Why does anyone care about the so-called proliferation of LBGT people by the media.  It is good that Americans be exposed to LBGT people, they are people like everyone else.  I would rather view LBGT people that the sickening ad nauseum megafamilies like the Duggars and Bates.  Now, THAT'S sickening like we need to watch incessant breeders who are polluting and overpopulating the world!

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just the first name that came to mind GM, it was there almost before I'd finished reading the sentence and was more to show the limited thinking of the OP rather than to be even a slightly definitive list.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)