Is money truly the root of all evil?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. tHErEDpILL profile image81
    tHErEDpILLposted 9 years ago

So I started a forum about gun violence and someone brought up prescription drugs and how they are driving people crazy.  As soon as I saw that post I not only agreed, but thought to myself, "hey that won't stop, drug companies make too much money off crazy.  Drug companies get politicians in office.  Politicians won't bite the hand that feeds them."  Then I got another thought...

Isn't it funny how every bad thing that happens can always be traced back to money?  It's like "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon", but instead of Kevin Bacon it's "6 degrees of money", and I don't even think you need 6 degrees.  What do you think?  It's only a theory right now.  Feel free to prove it right or wrong.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Honestly I think selfishness and self-pleasure causes most of the world's problems. I think most every thing that happens which we consider to be "evil" is caused by someone wanting something in order to satisfy a need or want that they have. Just a thought.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, it ISN'T, poverty is the root of all evil.  If one is impoverished, h/she will do almost anything to live better.  It is not unusual for an impoverished person to go into crime as h/she believes that legitimate avenues of success are either denied or closed to him/her.  It is not unusual for impoverished parents to force their children to forego education in order to work in order to attain a decent standard of living.  It is quite commonplace for impoverished, even poor parents to force their children into crime or illegal activities in order to make ends meet or to ensure a better quality of life.   Wealth is not evil at all but poverty definitely IS.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think money is the problem, it's the accumulation of it (or any resource for that matter) at the expense of others that is the issue.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

As I recall it was "the love of money" that is the root of all evil.  That is, not just using the money system to acheive goals, but being willing to do bad things to get money.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Psyche is correct.  Without money a large majority of the first world would starve within a couple of weeks.  Money has done far more good than bad and is one of things that allows this ball of dirt to support (such as it does) the billions of people living on it.

The love of money, however, is another matter.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Does that mean there was no evil at all before money (and, by definition, the love of it)?

Cool story, bro.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe.  I can't really see anyone murdering for the right to roll away a 6 ton coin...

tHErEDpILLposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe it's the love of money.  I don't believe that people who do bad things to get money "love" money.  I think they want the things that money can buy them.  Security, food, girls, nice cars, etc.  So I disagree with that "love of money" statement.  As for the question, "was there evil before money?"  There was always money.  Even if it wasn't dollar bills.  If you believe the bible you will read that Jesus only showed anger once and it was towards who?  The money changers.  If you don't believe the bible go back in history and you'd see that receipts were given to record sales and trades.....actually our own currency basically started out as a receipt.  A receipt for the amount of gold or silver you owned, that you could use to purchase things.  MONEY is the catalyst not the "love" of it.  You need it to get the things you want and need.  Some people just want more than they need.  Go look up the word "love".  If people were committing these bad acts because they loved money then I'd believe that money would make them happy, when it actually doesn't.  That sexy blonde that the guy gets because of his money is what he LOVES. 

Rebuttals??

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If that was true people looting and exploiting to get money would not keep it in the bank and would not acquire more than they were able to actually spend on personal experiences. They would all stop at the point where they had one of everything they needed.

The first time someone traded a useful item for a sparkly metal or a pretty rock, humanity had money.

4. Sundeep Kataria profile image63
    Sundeep Katariaposted 9 years ago

Is money truly the root of all evil? - My answer is NO

Further, I'd like to say:
    1. Money can be good energy
    2. Earning money can be fun
    3. Re-investing money requires certain skill sets
    4. Re-invested money helps improve the economy
    5. Saving money teaches us how to make right choices, self restraint and self - discipline.

Now to come back to the reason of the question. It is same as saying: Is fire bad since it burns down everything?

In other words, it is how money and associated activities like earning, use, saving etc. seen and done.

tHErEDpILLposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice response.

1. Sundeep Kataria profile image63
        Sundeep Katariaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for appreciating

And donating some of that money to charity teaches us about generosity?

5. tHErEDpILL profile image81
    tHErEDpILLposted 9 years ago

No prob.  I ask these questions to gain wisdom.  We can all learn something from each other.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)