I have been booted out of Q and A by hp with no notice as to why!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (47 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Is it normal not to receive an email explaining why I was suspended from posting? I know 100% I have no reason to be suspended. I have NEVER name called or said anything that I think is considered a violation, yet I can not participate in Q and A. Can someone enlighten me as to normal procedure of HP staff when they suspend someone? Was I suppose to get an email?

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's good to hear of your experiences here, peeples.  I have a lot of respect for your sharing points of view.

I have been banned a few times.   Only once was it (I suspect) as a result of confronting a person who had been very derogatory towards me; I felt it was in a very unfair, nasty way that the person was confronting me.  I got banned, but that other person did not!

The other couple of times were because I was using my smart phone to access the internet, and the signal reception was particularly slow.  By mistake, before the screen had cleared, I pushed a button that effectively caused a repeat-posting.  A notice quickly came up on my screen that I was not allowed to post again for 7 days!

I have never intentionally tried to repeat-post, wrote an explanatory email to HP, but got no reply.  The only benefit to me was that I got to doing many other activities which just don't happen when I am spending time in HubPages.   Maybe others also benefitted from my absence, lol

1. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's a terrible experience!  Was this recently?

1. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Within the last 6 months.

Oh, no!  We're all in big trouble then.

What you said about the double posting:  Sometimes when I post something, and I only click submit once, a notice pops up which says that I already posted that, which I didn't, but it won't let me post.

If I hit the back arrow and then refresh the page, my post magically appears.  So, there is some kind of a bug that creeps in sometimes.

I'm really surprised that no one answered your email, though.  That's not nice. (Am I allowed to say that?)

2. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So sorry. I am a pacifist at heart. I wish you the best and this maze of confusion unravels your way soon.

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I got banned from there one time for reporting too many questions as spam, so I stopped reporting questions.  Have you been flagging a lot of the junk questions lately? (I didn't get an official notice as to why, but it was right after flagging questions that someone had asked in rapid sequence).  Otherwise, I have no idea as I know you are respectful even in topics where people tend to get heated.  I think my "ban" was for 24 hours.  This was a couple of years ago though so I have no idea what the current policy is on it.  Sorry that happened - you're one of the few interesting regular participants there.  I'd think HP staff would want to clean up that section and make it nicer again.

peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It says I have 8 hours to go so I think it is just a 24 hour ban. I did flag a ton of the spam that has been filling up the Q and A yesterday. I thought that was a good thing? I thought we were encouraged to "help". I have never had a ban here and have worked very hard (and kept my mouth shut in times I wanted to be mean) not to get banned. I did tell someone I didn't care about them a couple days ago after they called me things, maybe that could have done it? I don't know, just frustrated with the lack of communication from staff. Thanks Christin!

1. ChristinS profile image40
        ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That probably is it.  A lot of people around here can dish it out but sure can't take it.  This person or someone else who felt defensive may have reported you. I don't know what the convo was so I can't say for sure, but it makes sense.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi peeples and Christin,

Flagging spam, even repeatedly in a short period of time, will not get you banned. It really helps us out when Hubbers flag spammers, so you don't have to worry about being penalized for doing so.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Maybe this will help.  Look at the box for questions not to ask. It is crazy.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Topi … nd-Answers

Didn't ask anything from the list.

4. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 9 years ago

I was so disappointed to see this in my feed! You are one of the few people on there that always gives great replies and asks good questions; I feel like I never waste my time in answering one of your questions.
    I wish I had an answer for your question.

That was very kind! I'm still waiting on an email reply from HP. Curious if they will even respond.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I wouldn't take it personally. A while ago I got banned from the forums for 24 hours for telling an obvious spammer to "go drink bleach," and he apparently reported me. Imagine my surprise. I didn't think those guys ever bothered to read responses to their crap.

6. Tsukuyomi profile image61
    Tsukuyomiposted 9 years ago

I'm new to this but it might just be a glitch I'm sure they'll get back to you

7. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Alright, well I found out why I got banned. Apparently after repeatedly being bashed, and called names by someone it is unacceptable to tell them they are being a nasty person.

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully the name caller was banned also.

I don't think so. She was posting a question this morning.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Doubtful.  Moderators don't know unless someone reports it.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It depends upon whether or not someone reports you.

Some people can laugh it off, or don't particularly feel the need to tattle-tale if someone calls them numb-nuts, while others go whining to the mods that their feelings were hurt. If no one complains, the mods probably will never know. They don't have time to read and monitor every post in every thread.

At least this is my understanding.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
            DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I laughed at your reply, picturing some hubber at his computer "Waaa-waaa, he called me numb nuts. I am going to tell HP on him."
            That type of whiner needs to be told an answer that rhymes with Duck Cough.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94

lol  lol  lol

2. Writer Fox profile image30

Yeah, word choice is everything.  So, we need to add this to TOS: Don't tell someone to "go drink bleach" and don't tell someone he is a nasty person.  But, FatFreddysCat called someone "numb nuts" once, and that was OK. Maybe that's the phrase we should stick with. I think the moderators liked that one; I know I did!

big_smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I could not find anything on a Google search so I guess I have to wait for the ebook "Numbnuts and other acceptable things to call jerks on the HP forums".

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm flattered. big_smile That phrase may have squeaked by because I didn't call anyone in particular "numb nuts," but I did refer to the Q&A section of the site as a "haven for spammers, religioso's and random numb nuttery."

...and I stand by those comments!!

OK.  I'll put that whole phrase on the list.

I remember another one that is OK to use.  Mark Ewbie once put this on a forum post to someone:
          "Whatever your reply my answer rhymes with 'Duck Cough'.

(That passed moderation!)

2. Writer Fox profile image30

Wait!  I found it!  You really did call someone 'numb nuts!'  I knew I remembered that:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/9420?page=2#post2478565

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Hahahahahaha, I stand corrected. That one was a while ago!!

A fox never forgets!

So what have we learned today in Forum Etiquette class?

Calling someone "Numb Nuts" = OK

Telling someone to "Drink Bleach" - not OK

I guess the jury's still out on the time I told someone to "stop peeing in my Corn Flakes."

You're totally cracking me up!  I've got serious work to do right now.

It might have been "Cheerios," not "Corn Flakes," now that I think about it. I use both brand names often and interchangeably.

3. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can say a lot on this site, as long as the comment isn't directed.

You may rail against spammers, weirdos, idiots, religious zealots, the grammar-impaired and anything else, as long as those comments are a random spew and not actually targeted at a specific human.

As soon as you insult a specific human directly, you get in trouble.  But only if the person you are insulting isn't so busying retyping their same staid argument in all caps to throw back at you such that they haven't realized in six years that you can actually report other users.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the moderators here know what they're doing. In fact, having read through this thread, I'm convinced.

I was once banned from the forums for disagreeing with some herbalist who claimed that herbs cure cancer more effectively (in all cases) than conventional cancer treatments.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, some get away with it even after being reported. Others don't even when they give back what they have been given.

Just makes no sense!

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess under HubPages rules, it is.   The thing to do is bite your tongue and report them - then they're the ones who will be banned!

8. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

lol. There's a fresh set of 8 questions about comforters and bed linen created by 8 brand new hubbers.  Must just be coincidence they all arrived at exactly the same time. It will also just be coincidence if they all answer each other with a link to the same website. Will that technically avoid being accused of spamming? I hope not.

Btw, it makes me laugh that you're writing about getting banned, peeples. Is this an appropriate thread in which to reflect on my forum ban? lol. As a few of the earlier posters would remember, I received an apology from hp for that one. smile

9. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

The moral is, " Don't comment unless it is very necessary or you certainly have something important to comment".

10. FatFreddysCat profile image93

...or "duck shoe."

ROTFLOL
      lol

2. SmartAndFun profile image94

How about "Duck shoe, numb-nuts!"

11. FatFreddysCat profile image93

"Random Spew" would be a fabulous name for a band.

...just an observation. Carry on.

Or, a good name for this forum.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)