No revenge. No hate, this woman is my hero!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (34 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Today in Australia a woman who lost her daughter to a car accident did not want jail for the defendant in the case, she wanted him at home with his family, as she could see no point in hurting his family too. I am so proud of her! That is the action of someone who understands how life really works.

1. manlypoetryman profile image77
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lesson in true forgiveness...don't think I could have been that free with my forgiveness in same situation.

2. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would depend on what caused the accident. If it were a no-fault accident then the man probably wouldn't have been prosecuted. If the man had been driving recklessly or something then by her actions she might very well be putting other families in danger of suffering the same pain she is experiencing. That would be far from 'heroic.'

3. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My heart goes out to her. She must definitely be a very 'deep' woman, who understands that life is full of twists, turns and tragedies. She knows it could NEVER have been intentional and the thought of him killing, albeit mistakenly, another persons little girl, is enough to cause him everlasting grief. Why make it worse by wanting his head?
      I pray for her, for God to give her the fortitude to bear such a painful and irreparable loss. And i pray for the man, to find it in his heart to forgive himself.

1. tksensei profile image59

People intentionally kill other people all the time.

1. viryabo profile image94

I really doubt that in this case, it was intentional. Read earnest's post again.
          Here in my country a long time ago, a trailer driver CRUSHED a pedestrian who was trying to cross the road. What did he do? He got down, screaming and crying bitterly, went to the mangled guy's body, and started rolling in the bloody mush, weeping uncontrollably. Everyone around felt soooo sad and sorry for him. Heard he went cuckoo shortly after. He was never prosecuted cause his grief was almost unbearable.
          Now tell me...does that sound intentional?

Do you know all the details of the incident? THIS incident, not a completely unrelated one you heard about 'a long time ago.'

And of course intent is not required for someone to be legally liable.

Dont need to know all the details. From the tiny bit i read, for the woman to feel that way, there must be a very good reason. Perhaps she sensed his remorse? Perhaps the milk of human kindness?

Your feelings about this seem to be based on a lot of assumptions.

Just my Opinion.

Fair enough then

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Hey Earnest, I can see why you admire her, I would not be as strong as her.

However, I can't help but feel that if people aren't punished in any way than there's nothing to deter others.  People drink driving and killing children all over the place.

But yes she definitely seems enlightened, but perhaps she's still in shock.

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not think she was in shock, the accident happend some time back, but she saw the circumstances and used her big heart. He still went to jail, but she tried.

3. BODYandSOUL profile image60
    BODYandSOULposted 14 years ago

Tragic but heartwarming!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Well, I keep hearing everywhere that forgiveness is for yourself. It is what helps you to go on. Seeking revenge will not make you feel better or bring the other person back.

1. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right but...easier said than done. Not many people can show such magnanimity.

5. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I believe you are measured by how much you give.  In today's society stories of heart, giving and most of all forgiving, is wonderful to hear.

6. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Wow, she certainly has a heart of Gold.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

We had a similar incident in this country.  A group of Amish kids were killed by a gunman who then shot himself.  The Amish families immediately embraced the family of the shooter, seeing that they had also suffered.  There was no thought of blame or revenge, only forgiveness.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Wow Earnest, not sure I would be able to behave like her, but such state of mind is something to try to achieve. It's good to know that there are people out there who managed already.

1. candice5 profile image59
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I definitely would not behave like that. I would expect a punishment.

9. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

Im not sure I would be able to do that, if it were my child. but it does depend on the situation. accident? or...drunk?...my brother in law was in an accident that took a persons life. I can tell you, no jail, no revenge, nothing can make what he goes thru every single day any worse. He knows what he did, and he has to live with that. He is paying, and I am sure this other person is too.

1. alekhouse profile image71
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a good response, I tend to go along with this. We cannot make assumtions about how or why the accident happened. And we need to know all of the details, before making a judgment. we certainly can't read the woman's mind, so how could we possibly  know why she made this decision.

10. mattressnextday profile image41
    mattressnextdayposted 14 years ago

Yea, that is the true humanity if that was accident and he was not drunk. Accident may happen to anybody, and we dont know when it will happen. Simply be aware.. RIP her daughter.

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Clearly, she is a far better person than I would be...

I would only want them out of jail so that I could try to run them down with my own car

12. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Hard to know how each of would re-act ,but yep are some great examples to inspire thats for real..

1. Vee Rose profile image61
      Vee Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is the act of forgiveness at its finest.

13. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Wow. That is a state to aspire to! There was a similar case where I live. A man lost his wife and two of his children on Christmas eve a couple of years ago when a drunk driver ran a light and slammed into their family car. He went to the other driver's trial and pleaded for leniency for him, saying "hasn't there been enough suffering?" So amazing and exemplary.

14. profile image0
    CarolanRossposted 14 years ago

Stories like this of folks willing to forgive in the face of such tragedy are truly inspiring.  To hold on to resentment is to wish for negativity in one's OWN life, while forgiveness can set you free.

"The difficulties in life are there to make us better, not bitter."

15. Pamda Man profile image59
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Loss of daughter - Tragic
    Welcoming of killer - Nice, rare, but tragic
    Woman - Very nice, but tragic

16. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

It would depend on what caused the accident. If it were a no-fault accident then the man probably wouldn't have been prosecuted. If the man had been driving recklessly or something then by her actions she might very well be putting other families in danger of suffering the same pain she is experiencing. That would be far from 'heroic.'

No Fault accidents are entirely diff, anyone could do that, that is exactly what it is an accident. and that is tragic, for all parties. My comments relate to the countless drunks that take to the roads everyday right accross the World, and amazingly usually survive themselves.

17. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Everyone has their own karma.  She knows the circumstances surrounding the accident, but if he was drunk driving, he deserves some kind of punishment.  She can forgive and forget, but the universe doesn't.  If he was just being negligent, then he will get off easy, anyway.  In America, he would be prosecuted for his negligence regardless of whether the mother pressed charges, or not.  I admire the mother's strength, and I think she will be blessed for her selflessness, but the perpetrator will pay for what he's done...  I know a guy who killed a girl while drunk driving and he only recieved a 6 month jail sentence.  The family forgave him, too, but he still hasn't forgiven himself.  He hasn't driven, at all, in over 20 years.

Actually some do not, I know of a repeat drink driver, twice he has done this, he is still drinking and driving. All Drunks, wether alcoholics or not are still the same, in fact I have more respect for someone, that admits he did it, does  his lag, and doesn't cry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)