I'd like feedback on my Hub: Federal Funding: Libertarian Party Will Take the Mo

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Garry Reed profile image81
    Garry Reedposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Federal Funding: Libertarian Party Will Take the Money and Run. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

AND SPECIFICALLY TO THE HUBPAGES REVIEWERS

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE WANT?

The majority of hubs I’ve written so far have been accepted as “Featured” with little to zero problems BECAUSE I’ve been following all your rules. This article is no different in content or style from all those previous articles that passed without comment.

Now I’ve edited this article FIVE times and deleted the Amazon ad that you used to routinely accept and you’re still beating me down with no more information than those stupid generic “spammy” and “quality” emails you keep generating and dumping into my email inbox.

How about telling me what you specifically want me to do! That way I can either rewrite this article to suit your new rules or just delete it and then apply what you tell me to future articles. As it stands now I have NO CLUE about your revised editorial requirements.

This is like bait-and-switch. I signed on, spent hours learning all your rules and wrote for you and now you’ve obviously changed all the rules while telling me nothing. You won't even let me post Amazon ads any more!!!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Try removing the links. Your hub should be able to stand alone without sending readers off-site. One, or more of them may be triggering a spam alert.

Make sure all the images are legal-to-use and accredited.

Hope that helps.

Garry Reedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I was afraid that might be a problem and that gives me a "responsibility" problem. If I quote from an article I feel that I have the responsibility to link to that article so my readers can see it in full context and judge the veracity of it for themselves. I've always done that as a matter of good responsible journalism on other sites. Apparently Hub doesn't want me to be that responsible. As for images I always use open source free to use. But thanks.

You can cite your references at the end of the article. You don't have to link to them.

It's still a good idea to add the source of your photo in the image module, wherever it came from.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Raggededge, I don't agree with you about the photos.  It looks neater if you don't have that "Source" link under the photo.   However I do think it's a good idea to add a statement at the end of the Hub (e.g. "All photos from Pixabay") just to avoid confusion.

I agree... but just trying to help him get it featured smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

If you've been told the problem is "spammy elements", then that means either links or Amazon products. Always.

I wrote a Hub summarising HubPages' rules - that might help you cut through the confusion. You'll find it on the slider on my profile.

The main rule you need to understand is that EVERY link in a Hub MUST be DIRECTLY related to the MAIN SUBJECT of the Hub.   

That has an unfortunate consequence:  in the past, you could mention a fact in passing, and instead of having to cite your source or give an explanation, you could just hyperlink to a site that explained it.  Now you can't, because that link isn't about the MAIN subject of your Hub, it's about something that's only "tangentially related".   

It's annoying, but what it means is that if you want to cite a source or provide further explanation, you need to do it the old-fashioned way with a "References" section at the bottom of the Hub listing your sources (without hyperlinks). 

In fact the same rule applies to Amazon products:  the product must be directly related to the main subject of the Hub. So, on a Hub about cooking chicken you could advertise a chicken roaster but not a saucepan.  Amazon has an extra rule - you must say why you're recommending that particular book or product.

Garry Reedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll check out your summary. The "spammy elements" always comes from the identical generic email I find in my mailbox whenever the reviewers question ANYTHING which is why I never know what they really want.

At this point I think I'll just continue posting bare-bones hubs with NO links and NO Amazon ads while looking online for some less restrictive place to publish. I posted on the now-defunct examiner.com for eight years and except for a few very out of the box posts that were shot down I was otherwise left entirely alone to write what I wanted.

Even though my primary reason for writing is the fact that I enjoy it I know that the sites that we alI write for are making far more money off of our efforts than what we ever see. Now with their new rules the possibility of earning anything beyond a few ad sense pennies is gone.

1. claptona profile image67
        claptonaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Garry,
        I feel your pain, man.
        But, all other websites are going to have moderators - just like Hubpages.
        It's the only way they can survive under the thumb of Google, they have a monopoly on "Adsense" and everyone is suffering under their thumb.
        Being of similar mindset, your goals of making money can be achieved here.
        I know there are books that you read that would enlighten anyone who's got the gumption to learn. Thus, Amazon still has a chance of being profitable.
        I'd reconsider the "quitting" of Hubpages.
        From what I can tell, if if you get on the niche sites, and they continue to build up their reputation, you're articles will be read. Thus, you'll make money on Adsense and probably sell a few books.
        There are so few people out there that actually understand what "libertarian" is and why freedom is most important, much more than "community" or "government". It would be a shame to lose your insight about the meaning of being free and unencumbered by a tyrannical government like we have in the U.S.
        Just encouragement to keep on keeping on!
        Cheers

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Since earnings are shared on a set formula, the site is not making a fortune at your expense. If you're not earning much, they're earning even less. They make their money from the high earning popular topics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)