Why Hubscores/Hubberscores should either be dismissed or explaine

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

There is the oddest of correlations between my traffic and my hubberscore - that when my traffic goes down, my hubberscore goes up.

Like all of us here, I don't understand the purpose of either the hubscore or the hubberscore. There is no correlation between earnings and scores.  There is no correlation between traffic and scores. Well, there might be a partial one, but it is certainly not consistent.

Because Hubpages won't/doesn't explain to us what it means, I think they should either discard it. It's just frustrating to see it there and not to know what it means. It's all very well being 100 some days and not others, but why? Why can't I use the data that I would gain from that to my benefit (and therefore to hp 's benefit? Surely, if these scores were explained to us, then we could use that information to improve?

If hp doesn't want us to know what the hubscore/hubberscore signifies, then I think they should remove it.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree and have also brought up the topic which fell on deaf ears.  Apparently our opinions on this don't matter.  I can't stand ambiguity and trying to figure out what people want and this scoring policy has always made me crazy.

2. JynBranton profile image71
      JynBrantonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've always been very confused by what mine mean and like others are saying I don't think it's reflective  of the quality of the work featured. It seems just like it's a random number and I've noticed too it's lower after a span of good traffic

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't expect anyone will take your suggestion seriously, Tess.  People have been complaining about HubScores and HubberScores for years.

In fact, I started a thread asking for them to be retired four years ago:

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/10 … hub-scores

The discussion on that thread is interesting.  Especially the responses from staffers like Simone Smith and Derek Gulbranson.  Derek's explanation of the scoring system is refreshingly honest: 

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/10 … ost2294370

Interestingly when the thread was reopened for discussion a year later, HubPages admin closed it to replies for no apparent reason.

TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, Thank you. Interesting.

QUOTE: There are many different kinds of people in this world, and some people will never be interested in whatever metric we offer. That's ok. Some people will be more interested in the underlying data and we should provide whatever we can to help them make informed assessments and decisions. But some people respond much better to an overall metric and trust HubPages to figure out the details. HubPages needs to satisfy the full range of personality types.

This response is off-topic. The question is not why the hubscores represent what they do, but what they represent.

QUOTE: but still somewhat useful from a community reputation perspective.

What I pick up here is that hp believes that community activity plays a strong role in traffic to various articles. So if people who wrote on hp solely in order to satisfy an inner or emotional need, they would also be represented in terms of hubberscore. I can understand that from a business point of view, all traffic is relevant - whether it comes from other hubbers or from the web. "... so HubPages needs to remain a place where all feel welcome " would confirm my opinion that that is what is meant.

QUOTE: Any metric related to any specific definition of success needs to be clear about what the goal is. For example, renaming HubScore to Traffic Score or similar might alleviate a lot of the confusion since it's currently heavily weighted to traffic.

Precisely. So why isn't it?

QUOTE: the current HubScore is kind of overloaded, performing two functions that might be better separated; self-assessment vs. community reputation.

What???  He has just said that it's weighted towards traffic (which I think is true), but how he says it is weighted towards self-assesment and community reputation.

So how on earth does a metric measure what I think of my writing, and if I am in the unfortunate position of being an okay writer, but really hideous with public relations (which I am), then I am going to have a low score? I can't help wishing sometimes that I wasn't autistic.

Basically, I'm sure a lot of us would like to know what these scores meant. I have no doubt that they would affect our behaviour in a positive light.

I can only say that I believe that HP is reticent to reveal that information because it thinks it will impact negatively on the company in some way. I wonder why.

3. Ziaullah Khan profile image73
    Ziaullah Khanposted 6 years ago

Let me think for a while !!!

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

How can hubscore be reflective of traffic? I have a hub with a score of 100. It gets very little traffic and only 778 visits since I wrote it in 2012. It always has a consistently high score.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you look at the official definition of HubScore, it definitely includes traffic as one of the metrics.

TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And yet, on several occasions, when my traffic has gone down, my hubber score has gone up.

That only makes sense if the traffic of the entire site fell, and mine didn't fall as much. I other words, the traffic is measured comparatively to that of other hubbers!

5. Jeremy Gill profile image91
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

I can attest to Marisa's comment (higher traffic = higher score), though of course there are several other factors at play for HubScores.

Still, it's consistent enough to note the pattern.

6. stephenteacher profile image69
    stephenteacherposted 6 years ago

My hub score took a drastic drop of 10 points a couple of weeks ago. Other people noted theirs did as well. Have no idea why it is consistently 10 points lower than it had been for years.

7. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 6 years ago

I would suggest that a hub score of 95 vs a score of 71 is meaningful. One is obviously doing something better or worse than the other. But trying to divine what causes a score of 92 to rise to 96 or drop to 89 is a waste of time and basically meaningless.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)