How to survive and possibly enjoy a long, international flight

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. glassvisage profile image83
    glassvisageposted 14 years ago

How to survive and possibly enjoy a long, international flight

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Hi my partenar and I flew from New Zealand to LAX, then across to Tennessee ,onto Amtrak ,transferred to a Greyhound and ended up at our destination 24 hrs later!!...
    Happy to say we didnt get bored during the flights ,they were awesome. The train was surprisely relaxing too and great to stretch our legs out fully.
    By all means take a good book ,something light ,maybe comedy since I found everytime I would start reading something interesting would distract me.
    Definately writing material ,even  if its to jot down any ideas you get. Postcards to write.
    An Ipod might be useful for down time waiting too.
    Enjoy !! youll get tired ,but it will all be worth the scenery , the new people, the experiences.

3. Enigmatic Me profile image78
    Enigmatic Meposted 14 years ago

I'm always a chatter.
    Its just me. I can't help it. My close friends from my childhood say that if I start up a conversation, by the time the interaction has ended I can tell you who you and that person are related to.

I've always enjoyed talking to people from different places. Its interesting, and for the most part I learn something new. This is an important thing for me. I seek out to learn something new every day. Generally speaking, I learn more about myself than anyone I speak to.

Outside of the chats, a good book, and some good music. I doodle and write as well. So there's really no down time on a flight. I prefer mystery to comedy, but, that's a personal thing.
    I often get ideas for stories through watching the interactions of those in my environment. Its the same as photographing strangers.. although photography is a bit finite. You can make a guess at what happens next after a pic has been taken, but with taking a comment or interaction you actually make it your own.

4. Treasured Pasts profile image71
    Treasured Pastsposted 14 years ago

It sure can be a drag. There are several things that we try to do.
    First- Join the airlines frequent flyer club. This makes it easier to get upgrades. When checking in ask if you can upgrade if there are empty seats. This has worked twice for us putting us into business class which is much more comfortable.( the foods better too).  You can also use frequent flyer miles to upgrade.
    2nd- Choose flights with stops if you have the time. Being able to get off the plane, even for a few minutes and grab a bite really helps. We live in the western US and try to stop in Canada or at least the East Coast before we cross the ocean.
    Third- My trusty iPod. I can close my eyes and get lost in the music. It seems to cut the time by half.
    Stuart

5. Englshguy profile image61
    Englshguyposted 14 years ago

On any flight take a set of Bose Nose Cancelling  Headsets and an iPod.
    Past experience has shown me that there will always be a screaming child close by on the plane. In fact, I think that when a family with a baby or small child checks in, they ask if I am on the plane, and request to sit as close to me as possible. Just paranoid maybe.
    iPod - music and videos. Get relaxed as much as possible.

6. H P Roychoudhury profile image41
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 14 years ago

There are many ways to enjoy the time of long journey. Time may be rightly enjoyed by discussing any topic of interest with the adjacent passenger of his liking or by reading interesting topics or playing with the children of a liking family.

7. AviationGrind profile image60
    AviationGrindposted 14 years ago

I always come with an arsenal of supplies as you never know what you may find when you get there speaking as a longtime 20 plus year road warrior.  You may be so lucky to have a great and engaging seat partner which will help pass the time.  If this is not the case then I always hit the borders bookstore and stock up on all my favorite magazines to catch up on and then load up my computer and ipod with my favorite movies as well as music. Virgin America and Jet Blue offer great entertainment options in this regard already. Unfortunately, their international routes are just starting to build. 

Then my final plan if these aren't enough. I always bring my memory foam travel pillow, some comfy eye pads, jogging suit and bose noise reduction headphones.  I will then order a nice glass of red wine with the meal followed with two valium chasers.  You are then out cold and dont wake up till the landing gear hits the ground at your final destination city. Always makes for a painless trip when all else fails.

Happy travels to all !

- The Daily Aviation Grind

Porter Lafayette - Aviation Travel Commentator

http://hubpages.com/hub/Daily-Aviation-Grind

8. Wageslip profile image61
    Wageslipposted 14 years ago

As mentioned earlier, when you get to the check out ask for a courtesy upgrade. It does work sometimes. If the flight isn't full and you are polite and tell them how often you fly with them and you think their airline is brilliant.

If you want to be a bit cheeky and you are flying as couple tell them you are on your honeymoon and ask them if you can upgrade on this special occasion. You must be comfortable doing it though and it must sound and actually be truthful.

It doesn't have to be your first honeymoon with the love of your life, it could be your 3rd or 4th. Any airline loves helping honeymooners and you are not telling fibs..... and remember the whole world loves a lover.

The best upgrade I ever had was before I was married though. I was visiting South Africa and Virgin upgraded me to First Class. The stewardess even gave me a lovely neck and back massage. I can tell you I survived that long flight pretty well !!

9. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 14 years ago

Take a book or some magazines to pass the time. You'll also have the inflight movies, games etc to entertain you during the flight. I also take a small blanket (or oversized towel) in my hand-luggage, it's great to snuggle into when I'm ready for a nap, it makes sleeping more comfortable (sometimes I get a little cold on long flights especially during the night).  I also take a coin purse, so that I can purchase some munchies to eat while watching the movies.  Pre-book your seat number if you can so you're sitting somewhere you enjoy (ie: window or isle seat). Because meals are served at regular intervals during the flight, all you need to do is relax and enjoy the experience.

10. lanealanea profile image62
    lanealaneaposted 13 years ago

Do not sit in the back of the plane, bring your books and eye drops, moisturizers and little things to refresh yourself during your long flight. Think of what you would want to have with you if you were standing in front of a fan all day and night, its kind of like that but so long as you have water and something to cover your eyes, maybe some chewing gum, mints and lotion for your hands also some light shoes and cotton clothes you should have a great long flight. Time your sleep if you can. Try not to book so many stops if you have that option when traveling. Good luck.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Bring a book -- one which you haven't read ye. Listen to music, bring earphones. or write a story, write what will you want to do, plans etc, or just sleep you need it, for jetlag.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)