Who is the greatest military general in history?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Hxprofposted 14 years ago

Who is the greatest military general in history?

2. maven101 profile image70
    maven101posted 14 years ago

This should be a three-part question:

Strategic.............Julius Caesar

Tactical...............Irwin Rommel

All-around...........Hannibal of Carthage

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maven101, I agree that it's difficult to choose one commander who had it all.   I like that you broke the question down, and I like also that you choose Hannibal Barca as the best all-around.

3. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

I would place Alexander as the best sum of all the three mentioned above, and had better technology for logistics been available at the time, then the world would probably have had a single ruler for at least a generation.

1. profile image0

There is no way to leave Alexander out of the running for history's greatest commander.   And yes, the known world could have been ruled by the ambitious Alexander for a season.

4. profile image58
    deepdiverposted 14 years ago

Too wide ranging a question. My answer would be

Napoleon- For strategy and vision
    Salahuddin Ayyubi of the Crusades- for chivalry and battlefield acumen
    Ervin Rommel- for surprise and tactical skill

Lest we forget, Eugene of Savoy and Feldmarschall von Manstein for tenacity and bringing victory out of sure defeat

5. profile image57
    ThePeeDeeWildcatposted 14 years ago

I have to agree with deepdiver that this question is too wide-ranging. I would, however, throw Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson into the mix. During his three years of leadership, he continually had his malnourished army on the move around Virginia. Jackson's troops, on several occasions, did snatch victory from the jaws of defeat when the Army of Northern Virginia was backed into a corner. Lee justifiably compared Jackson's death after Chancellorsville to losing his right arm.

1. profile image0

Yes Wildcat, it's a wide-ranging question.  That makes it a real challenge!  I agree that Stonewall Jackson was a great commander; however, I'd be more comfortable including him as a top candidate if he'd not departed before we'd seen more of him.

2. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you'll pardon the rejoinder Hxprof; there can be little or no doubt had Stonewall been at Gettysburg he would have taken Culp's Hill on the first day. No need to elaborate on what that would have portended for world history.

3. profile image0

Alastar, historians are divided on what the CSA would have gained by victory at Gettysburg.  I do agree that Jackson would have taken Culps Hill, likely leading to Union defeat.  It would be great to see you do a hub on this subject.

4. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Southern victory would in all likelihood have brought British and French recognition if not active intervention. Vicksburg would have mitigated the loss some but not enough as the power centers were back east. Thanks for the hub-sub thought, Hxprof.

6. ixwa profile image76
    ixwaposted 14 years ago

This question will depend as to who one is asking and what they answer. I think that it was Shaka Zulu who combined the military skill of Julius Caesar and Napoleon, the organizing genius of Alexander the Great, the stern discipline of Lycurgus and the inflexibility of Bismarck and the destructive force of Attila. Another one is King Sen Wosret I (1971-1927 Before The Christian Era-BC) who was reaponsible for the rise of Ancient Kemet(Egypt) in the 12th Dynasty, to international power and influence. This sphere of power and influence  included not only the Red Sea,up to as far as Punt, it also included what today we call the Mediterranean, Libya, Palestine, Syria, Crete,  the Aegean Islands and  mainland Greece. The other greatest military general in history was Hannibal of Carthage, father of military strategy.

7. bill oneill profile image60
    bill oneillposted 14 years ago

The greatest general in history would be Julius Ceasar. His Commentaries are an excellent source of the study of military operational art. His planning for the conquest of Gaul and Britain is masterly.

1. profile image0

Gaul was the proving ground for the man with the greatest genius for war during his time, exceeding even that of Sulla, who was also an exceptional commander.  He's certainly a worthy candidate for the top spot.

8. devilmovies profile image41
    devilmoviesposted 14 years ago

beleive me or not.
    the greatest military general is the prophet of islam .muhammed.
    with some desert nomads people conqured all the arab peninsula and overcoem the persians and kicked out the roman from syria and egypt and islam reached even to spain and south of france.

1. profile image0

I'll give Muhammed credit for inspiring the conquest of that vast area, but during his time it was primarily the Arabian Peninsula that came under the control of the tribes following him.  After his death, others carried out the greater conquests.

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

I think Belisarius, or possibly Maurice, was the greatest general in western history. The Byzantines, Greeks, and Saracens were the best military men until the Crusades ruined it all.

Hannibal was a great tactician, but was strategically and logistically weak. He won a lot of battles, but winning battles is irrelevant if it does not add up to strategic success. Alexander simply used the army his daddy created and led it against a cumbersome enemy. Caesar and Napoleon are cases proving that exceptionally intelligent men can do anything well.

The most brilliant American tactician and strategist was (naturally) passed over for general and retired as a Colonel: Douglass MacGregor.

1. profile image0

Old Empresario, I agree that Belisarius was a great commander.  IMO you're being a bit tough on Hannibal, but then again he did lose the war!

10. MUE profile image59
    MUEposted 12 years ago

Sun Tzu.  The Art of War is read by all miliary professionals including Powell, Schwarzkopf and most Marine Corps leaders.

11. Alexander Adwan profile image55
    Alexander Adwanposted 8 years ago

Alexander was a great strategic why because every battle he had was a win plus he had less casuallities than the enemy like battle of gaugamela according to arrian alexander lost 300 infantry and 1000 cavalry and the enemy lost 300 thousand from a million while alexander had 47 thousand troops
    for short
    alexander 47 thousand troops vs 1 million - 56 thousand persian troops
    and alexander wins so much less casualties

1. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Alexander is near or at the very top of the list of best commanders, no doubt.

12. nnms profile image71
    nnmsposted 7 years ago

I would go with the following

•    Hannibal- the father of military strategy
    •    Caesar - a military genius
    •    Subutai- primary military strategist of Genghis Khan who was imaginative and sophisticated strategies

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)